*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,025,984 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
AustinCountyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The biggest overlooked part of this presser is going to be the answer Dusty gave about how technology has effected the game over the years. Essentially saying this kind of stuff (sign stealing) has been going on and growing over the years and it isn't surprising it has gotten this far.

Like I've said since day 1, everyone knew they were pushing the boundaries, but I don't think anyone thought at the time that it was really "that bad". Simply because all of the other teams doing their own different things trying to get an advantage as well.

Manfred from the get go should have done a blanket statement saying they have caught multiple teams doing similar things and if they get caught again here are the punishments (loss of picks, fine, etc). Instead, he's trying to paint all of this on just the Astros it is a ****ing disaster for everyone.
Marvin
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Harold Reynolds on MLB Network bashing the small amount of time Altuve and Bregman were made available.

They announced earlier that the clubhouse would be opened up for more questions at 10am. Maybe they should stop with the hot takes and actually listen to everything that was said.
wangus12
AG
Should have let Reddick go up there and tell the rest of the baseball to suck his confetti covered dick
MaxPower
I've heard complaints already about lack of sincerity in the apologies. If you knew everyone else was doing the same crap would you be sincere in your forced apology?

And yes Manfred screwed this up. His report basically concludes this is a major issue, even though it was effectively a violation of a memo (not a rule) over something that was done electronically that is perfectly legal to do with your own eyes. He should have downplayed it with the importance being not listening to his memo rather than breaking a rule. He co-mingled the two and now has no way out.
redline248
AG
What a waste of time. No matter what the Astros did or said today, no one is going to believe the sincerity, no one is going to forgive them. Why bother apologizing?
AustinCountyAg
redline248 said:

What a waste of time. No matter what the Astros did or said today, no one is going to believe the sincerity, no one is going to forgive them. Why bother apologizing?
because we live in a "woke" country
CFTXAG10
AG
07ag
AG
after today the astros should issue a statement saying no further questions about cheating in 2017/2018.

there are some people that simply cannot be appeased by any remorse or apology or any punishment short of disbanding the astros as a whole
https://ts.la/eric59704
ac04
this season is going to be hilarious
bearkatag15
AG
Correa just made a very strong statement about the buzzers calling it a lie and that all stories about this should be killed. Good to hear a player stand up to that finally
wangus12
AG
Yeah. I feel like some pain in the ass reporter is gonna bring it up at every single press conference, post game etc the entire season.

First night someone goes 0-4, they'll ask if its because they didn't have a trash can.
TXAG14
Being the social media manager for the Astros this season has to be fun.
n_touch
To bad Taubman isNt around to yell "Im so glad we got trashcans" in front of all the reporters
Beat40
wangus12 said:

Yeah. I feel like some pain in the ass reporter is gonna bring it up at every single press conference, post game etc the entire season.

First night someone goes 0-4, they'll ask if its because they didn't have a trash can.

I think it could possibly happen sooner than you think. Look at the first month of the season. We are playing some good teams during that first month, so a slow start is not out of the realm of possibility. Media will be insufferable if that happens.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Harold Reynolds on MLB Network bashing the small amount of time Altuve and Bregman were made available.

Funny, I don't recall a long, sincere apology when he had his little incident. Either he didn't provide one or it wasn't very memorable.
CFTXAG10
AG
qunique_2004
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Then why do it?
astros4545
AG
qunique_2004 said:

CFTXAG10 said:

Then why do it?

I guess they were trying to win?
Gramercy Riffs
AG
qunique_2004 said:

CFTXAG10 said:

Then why do it?

Specifically to end Mike Bolsinger's career.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Gramercy Riffs said:

bearkatag15 said:

Funny, I don't recall a long, sincere apology when he had his little incident. Either he didn't provide one or it wasn't very memorable.

Quote:

"This was a total misunderstanding," Reynolds told The Post. "My goal is to sit down and get back. To be honest with you, I gave a woman a hug and I felt like it was misinterpreted." Reynolds declined to give any more details.

Thanks, Harold
Texaggie7nine
qunique_2004 said:

CFTXAG10 said:

Then why do it?
The only thing that makes sense is that it was so prevent a thing being done by other teams, they felt they were just going with the flow.

The best comparison I can think of is back in my online gaming days when new technology was constantly coming out to cheat at the games (hacking) and to detect people cheating. Several times some players that were highly respected would be ousted as hacking and it really boggled my mind with guys that I saw play when they weren't hacking and they were just about as good. Why would they risk tarnishing their reputation, and almost every time it would be because they were so convinced that the best in the game were cheating and they just had to do it in order to compete. Except in baseball, the best teams actually WERE cheating as well.

You have a young group like the Astros were in 2016 have a veteran come in and tell them they are behind on the game, of course they are going to listen. You add in a young, highly intelligent, data driven staff that takes that and finds a way to best beat the other cheaters at their own game, and you get what the Astros became.
7nine
claym711
AG
Again, the Patriots are the model of what to do. Apologies are blood in the water.
CFTXAG10
AG
claym711 said:

Again, the Patriots are the model of what to do. Apologies are blood in the water.
Yepp, just embrace the villain role and go win the chip
Aggies2009
AG
claym711 said:

Yep. The Astros would've been better off to not have today's press conference. Fans of the other 29 teams weren't going to believe they were sincere anyway and in their eyes it was only going to make things worse.
Mathguy64
AG
I wish MLB would have their all star panel of ARod and Big Papi asking the Astros these hard hitting questions. That would be hilarious to watch 2 busted steroid users complain about cheating on the MLB branded channel. Please do that. I'm begging you MLB.
Aggies2009
AG
astros4545
AG
Aggies2009 said:

Depends on what your definition of 'the' is

And I'm kind of serious
. . .
Texaggie7nine
Technically he's right. He said it's their opinion that it didn't change the game, he didn't say that it "in fact" didn't change the game.
7nine
PhatMack19
AG
My kids school Valentines cards came in today

Teddy Perkins
AG
dshedd41
S
Thanks George for clearing that up! Ready for some springer dingers!
Gig’em Aggies!
CFTXAG10
AG
Billy!

BullSprig07
AG
Darren Rovell might be the biggest asshat on Twitter
spadilly
S
Alyson with a positive tweet.

First Page Last Page
Page 137 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.