*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,031,305 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag_07
AG
From what I understood there was evidence of buzzers being used. Legal or illegal or whatever.

That was all internet sleuth conspiracy theories.
Texaggie7nine
The only "evidence" was some anonymous tweeter, and the video of Altuve holding his shirt.
That video of him holding his shirt is what all these idiot national sports personalities use as almost a smoking gun. In their minds, there can be no other explanation of him not wanting his shirt ripped.

7nine
Ag_07
AG
That and confetti on Reddick's chest.

You know...The WS championship confetti.
CFTXAG10
AG
Ag_07 said:

This is STILL a talking point for folks on Twitter even though it has been disproved. Clear as day you see the necklace that is the supposed "wire" and the confetti that he later removes like nothing that is supposed to be "tape" holding the wire in place.

Sometimes I wonder if these folks are trolling, complete idiots, or both.
Deluxe
AG
Yea, I'm with y'all for the most part. Altuve ducking into the locker room after the walk off and Hinch's evasive answer in the Verducci interview are definitely NOT proof that we were wearing buzzers. And until otherwise proven, I'm perfectly happy with the commissioner's official findings in this regard. No evidence of cheating in 2019.

I'm just playing out a hypothetical scenario where somehow it leaks that we wore buzzers (or something along those lines) and wondering if that would even be illegal if we weren't using them to relay signs we stole illegally. It might not be.
Teddy Perkins
AG
tjack16
AG
anybody making any Astros road trips this year? I know I'll be going to the new Arlington ballpark, and am thinking of making the DC trip.

St louis last year was a blast.
bluefire579
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Ag_07 said:

This is STILL a talking point for folks on Twitter even though it has been disproved. Clear as day you see the necklace that is the supposed "wire" and the confetti that he later removes like nothing that is supposed to be "tape" holding the wire in place.

Sometimes I wonder if these folks are trolling, complete idiots, or both.
I mean, there is also literally this video where he picks it off. But no escaping the keyboard vigilantes on this one.

Texaggie7nine
Reminds me of the "I'm Tyrone" videos.
7nine
Marvin
AG
tjholley16 said:

anybody making any Astros road trips this year? I know I'll be going to the new Arlington ballpark, and am thinking of making the DC trip.

St. Louis is one of my favorites. Nationals Park was fun, but it's a bit out of the way. Not too many pre-game bars in the area but there was a lot of construction going on so maybe they will have some soon.

Headed to West Palm next weekend. Also, we had planned to make it to Yankees Stadium to watch the Astros this year, but I'm thinking of postponing that one until next season...
AgDC
Not sure when you were there, but there are tons of bars and restaurants in that area and at the nearby waterfronts.
spadilly
S
tjholley16 said:

Mrs Spadilly and I are going to Seattle in August.
aggie813
Ending the season in Atlanta
astros4545
AG
spadilly said:

tjholley16 said:

Mrs Spadilly and I are going to Seattle in August.

Went to Seattle last April, was great

He plans for Washington DC, until you know...

Going to Minnesota this year instead
Mr.Bond
AG
Former MLB pitcher Bolsinger sues Astros for cheating, hurting career
https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1944281
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAROON
AG
Mr.Bond said:

that's just sad. Dude was a crappy pitcher. He should concentrate on his future teaching the Cadyn, Kayden and Bradyn's of the world how to pitch.
bluefire579
AG
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.fcgi?id=bolsimi01&t=p&year=2017

Yeah, sure, the Astros ruined your career, not the 21 earned runs across 35+ innings in 9 appearances the rest of the year. Dude was not a major league pitcher, and his appearances against everyone else showed as much.
Marvin
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Suit was filed in Los Angeles. Color me shocked...
Deluxe
AG
The saddest part is there's a lawyer behind this looking for his fifteen minutes of fame, knowing this lawsuit has absolutely no chance. The precedent would be disastrous. Setting the table for every player in any sport who felt like (but couldn't necessarily prove) they were victim of cheating to collect damages.
Ag12thman
AG
Mr.Bond said:

What an idiot. Yeah 1/30 less of a horrid ERA is still a HORRID ERA.

Yeah, you sucked because of the Astros alone.

Zero percent chance he even has a case.
CFTXAG10
AG
Just go pull up Bolsinger's baseball reference page, or better yet don't, I will save you the trouble. He has never been good, and no matter what the Astros were or were not doing, that fact isn't going to change

dshedd41
S
12 days until spring training
Gig’em Aggies!
Wabs
AG
Mr.Bond said:

If for some stupid ass reason he wins this lawsuit, there could potentially be thousands more filed. Every batter that faced Clemens and Pettitte. Every pitcher that faced Bonds, Sosa, Mac, Palmeiro, etc. Every player that played in any game Gaylord Perry pitched. The list could go on and on. And that's just for the sport of baseball.
Deluxe
AG
Wabs said:

Mr.Bond said:

If for some stupid ass reason he wins this lawsuit, there could potentially be thousands more filed. Every batter that faced Clemens and Pettitte. Every pitcher that faced Bonds, Sosa, Mac, Palmeiro, etc. Every player that played in any game Gaylord Perry pitched. The list could go on and on. And that's just for the sport of baseball.
Yep. That's exactly my point. Can't set that precedent.

Maybe A&M basketball should sue the NCAA for missing the foul on Donald Sloan against UCLA in 2008. That MIGHT have cost us a final four appearance.
n_touch
Maybe we should sue Francione for putting us in a death spiral of perpetual BAS
AgsMyDude
AG
Mr.Bond said:

EastCoastAgNc
AG
https://nypost.com/2020/02/10/mlb-plotting-playoff-expansion-with-reality-tv-twist/

Quote:

Imagine a team picking its playoff opponent. Think about Brian Cashman and the Yankees deciding whether to face the Red Sox or avoid them in the first round of the postseason. All on live TV.
Well, it is probably coming soon to the major leagues.
MLB is seriously weighing a move from five to seven playoff teams in each league beginning in 2022, The Post has learned.
In this concept, the team with the best record in each league would receive a bye to avoid the wild-card round and go directly to the Division Series. The two other division winners and the wild card with the next best record would each host all three games in a best-of-three wild-card round. So the bottom three wild cards would have no first-round home games.
The division winner with the second-best record in a league would then get the first pick of its opponent from those lower three wild cards, then the other division winner would pick, leaving the last two wild cards to play each other.
To use the AL last season as an example, the Astros with the best record would have received the bye. The Yankees, with the second-best record, would have had the choice to pick from among the Rays, Indians and Red Sox. Boston had the worst record of that group. Would the Yanks pick them or avoid the baggage of a series with their rival? It would create a ton of strategy and interest, and this is what MLB wants to sell. The Twins would then pick next as the other division winner, and then the A's with the best wild-card record would play the team not chosen by the Yankees or Twins.

iBrad
AG
If this trial goes to court, the Astros should get the court to subpoena Manfred, GMs, coaches, and players from around the league to question them under oath.
dshedd41
S
http://nypost.com/2020/02/10/mlb-plotting-playoff-expansion-with-reality-tv-twist/

Quote:

In this concept, the team with the best record in each league would receive a bye to avoid the wild-card round and go directly to the Division Series. The two other division winners and the wild card with the next best record would each host all three games in a best-of-three wild-card round. So the bottom three wild cards would have no first-round home games.

The division winner with the second-best record in a league would then get the first pick of its opponent from those lower three wild cards, then the other division winner would pick, leaving the last two wild cards to play each other.
Gig’em Aggies!
Mathguy64
AG
Sounds like they are thinking of expanding the playoffs far enough to get the rangers in.
CFTXAG10
AG
Convenient timing to start rumors of playoff expansion the same day this guy files suit against the Astros
Mathguy64
AG
They just showed the highlights of this dude's last appearance. He threw a flat meatball to Marwin that went into the RF bleachers and Beltran hit a sinking liner that the CFer dove and whiffed on. It looked like the ball went to the wall. Maybe he should sue his defense.
Deluxe
AG
iBrad said:

If this trial goes to court, the Astros should get the court to subpoena Manfred, GMs, coaches, and players from around the league to question them under oath.

That's a great point. I'm guessing there's some powers in MLB HQ that will make this go away before that happens.
First Page Last Page
Page 130 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.