*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,036,480 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
the last of the bohemians
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I like this strategy of finding Cubans.
W
AG
one thing to remember about Hinch...he is not "rich" (or set for life) by baseball standards.

his career earnings as a player were somewhere around $1.2 MM --- maybe got close to $1.5 MM. (and of course minus taxes)

he's only 45 years old...has 2 kids...and got fired without notice --- i.e. no opportunity to prepare financially for no-pay-due on the 1st & 15th.

one would think he's been smart / conservative with his money thru the years...but you never really know

redline248
AG
Obviously, there is more to the interview, but I don't blame Hinch. He got fired. He doesn't owe anything to the Astros.

What I find interesting is he doesn't say "well, we didn't cheat in the WS."
agproducer
AG
I have a different take away from that clip.

Hinch definitely appears to have been coached before the interview. His response didn't really say anything. He was contrite and apologetic, saying it's unclear if the sign stealing helped or not.

He didn't throw the players or organization under the bus. I also won't be surprised if that is the only response with any substance in the entire interview. Promo folks usually grab clips of the meatiest stuff for their spots.

I'm just waiting for the media to be finished taking its pound of flesh.
n_touch
redline248 said:

Obviously, there is more to the interview, but I don't blame Hinch. He got fired. He doesn't owe anything to the Astros.

What I find interesting is he doesn't say "well, we didn't cheat in the WS."
That and he still referred to the team as "WE".
EastCoastAgNc
AG
The way he talked in that interview is the same as he spoke even he was the manager. It's what irritated us all when injuries were brought up. Never directly addressing it, always skiing to withhold information.
Kashchei
AG
I bagged on Hinch probably more than most, but I'm gonna miss him. Sad he and Luhnow had to fall on the sword because the MLB can't carry out more than one investigation at a time...

Is it crazy to hope he comes back next year.....?
Ag_07
AG
I don't see Hinch's interview doing anything but raising more questions. Right when we're about to start ST all these questions are gonna be brought up and it's gonna start an entirely new conversation. This is nothing more than a new dead horse to beat.

I need actual baseball to start.
iBrad
AG
Yeah, at this point, Hinch is concerned about Hinch; not the Astros. If this interview doesn't touch on other teams doing it or it being prevalent around the league, then it's just another hit piece on the Astros and part of Hinch's apology tour.
Beat40
I saw on the ESPN ticker last night that the report on the Red Sox is supposed to come out next week.
mwm
I won't be happy until MLB releases its report on 100% of the teams. Not just the Astros. Not just the Red Sox. Everyone. Including the yankees.
Wabs
AG
mwm said:

I won't be happy until MLB releases its report on 100% of the teams. Not just the Astros. Not just the Red Sox. Everyone. Including the yankees.
This. The whole Astros investigation started when a former Astro snitched on them. There have been multiple reports of other teams using technology to steal signs - even ones where MLB officials suspected other teams. When are these teams going to be investigated as thoroughly as the Astros were?? Self righteous fans have piled on the Astros in pitch fork mob style. That won't end until other teams are investigated and punished (if found guilty).
Bulldog73
AG
I won't hold my breath hoping for that one. That's what pisses me off the most, they had full cooperation with the Astros investigation, then dropped the hammer in spite of the cooperation. You think anyone else will speak now? No way, that's why the half a$$ed release of one team is so brutal because now we definitely will never get the full story.

If they did a thorough investigation on the actual leads they had and the Astros were the only ones guilty, fine, drop the hammer, ban players/coaches/front office. Take away title, whatever you need to do, but at least then you have a full picture of what was happening in all of baseball. However, Manfried wouldn't do that because they don't want to open that can of worms (IMO because they're terrified of how pervasive it is).
. . .
03_Aggie
Bulldog73 said:

I won't hold my breath hoping for that one. That's what pisses me off the most, they had full cooperation with the Astros investigation, then dropped the hammer in spite of the cooperation. You think anyone else will speak now? No way, that's why the half a$$ed release of one team is so brutal because now we definitely will never get the full story.

If they did a thorough investigation on the actual leads they had and the Astros were the only ones guilty, fine, drop the hammer, ban players/coaches/front office. Take away title, whatever you need to do, but at least then you have a full picture of what was happening in all of baseball. However, Manfried wouldn't do that because they don't want to open that can of worms (IMO because they're terrified of how pervasive it is).

I think there are a few things to remember:

1). It's not that a lot teams weren't doing it, it's finding the ones that continued to do it after the memo was sent out. That's the challenge and what is got us in trouble. Hinch and lunhow's punishment shouldn't be a surprise, the memo stated they are the positions that would be held accountable if teams continued to do it.

2) the last thing Manfred wants is that the MLB was aware of the issue but didn't care to address it until Fiers took it to the press. He could be on the way out if people start to figure out that it was widespread but nothing was being done about it. So he is somewhat incentivized to start down the path of "we've investigated all we're going to investigate, we feel the issue has been addressed and it's time for baseball to move past this." Just like the Yankees did.
Teddy Perkins
AG
. . . said:

Just brutal to listen to. I understand he is showing remorse to rebuild his reputation but I really wish at some point in this interview he explains that the Astros were not the only team doing this and one reason he didn't go ballistic is because he wanted the team to keep up with those other teams.
CFTXAG10
AG
As others have mentioned, this is his redemption tour just trying to clear the path for a job at the end of this season. I don't blame him one bit, I blame Major League Baseball for blowing this up and making it a one team show. One redeeming thing I have heard him allude to is the idea that he hopes this team will prove it did not really matter. Technically they already did in 2018 and 2019, but some are blind to the facts.
Wabs
AG
03_Aggie said:

Bulldog73 said:

I think there are a few things to remember:

1). It's not that a lot teams weren't doing it, it's finding the ones that continued to do it after the memo was sent out. That's the challenge and what is got us in trouble. Hinch and lunhow's punishment shouldn't be a surprise, the memo stated they are the positions that would be held accountable if teams continued to do it.

2) the last thing Manfred wants is that the MLB was aware of the issue but didn't care to address it until Fiers took it to the press. He could be on the way out if people start to figure out that it was widespread but nothing was being done about it. So he is somewhat incentivized to start down the path of "we've investigated all we're going to investigate, we feel the issue has been addressed and it's time for baseball to move past this." Just like the Yankees did.
I understand your point, but this would be total BS and grossly unfair to the Astros. But you know what? MLB doesn't care because the big market teams (Boston, LA, NYC and Chicago) would be perfectly fine with letting the Astros be the only ones ever in the history of baseball to cheat (at least that's the going narrative).
HossAg
AG
He won't be making any excuses like that. He wants to get back into the league. Accusing every team in the league of doing it isn't gonna help his case.
. . .
astros4545
AG
Mike Fiers is a kid diddler

Never forget that
Mr.Bond
AG
Well Fook you hunter
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Marvin
AG
Any thoughts on the planned Pedro Leon signing out of Cuba? It was reported that he hit 15 homers in 33 games and has a good arm, but apparently only 5'-9" and likely done growing at 22 years old. I have no idea when he would be ready, but it appears to be a great signing and $4 million is a chunk of cash to spend.
YNWA_AG
AG
He was one of the best 2 players available in Cuba. Good signing.
Mr.Bond
AG
I know a 5 ft 6 guy who turned out pretty good
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Deluxe
AG
. . . said:

Assuming we're still looking to flip Reddick and bring in a righty hitting RF, I wonder if Puig is next on the list.
n_touch
Deluxe said:

. . . said:

Assuming we're still looking to flip Reddick and bring in a righty hitting RF, I wonder if Puig is next on the list.
At least the bats will be clean
mwm
How about this:

MLB should FULLY investigate 100% of the teams and REWARD those who were found not to be sign-stealing on any level. Maybe, give them an extra draft choice as a reward.

I think you'd find few, if any, rewards being handed out.
mwm
No. Please no. Puig is a cancer and has been since he entered the league.
Deluxe
AG
Bulldog73 said:

This is well said. It's so risky for Manfred to take this approach too because he'll look incompetent when more stories inevitably leak over the next however many years. He has a chance to fully clean the slate right now. Instead he's likely going to have to put out fires as they come up.

As an Astros fan, I'm perfectly willing to take the blowback for the fact that we 1) broke the rules after the commissioner issued his mandate and 2) likely broke the rules above/beyond what other teams were doing. But without full disclosures/investigations, part 2 is impossible to know. And it leaves the lazy narrative open that this was an Astros (and Red Sox to a lesser extent) only issue... which clearly it was not.

Like I think you indicated, I would even be ok with harsher punishments from MLB (as the most egregious offenders) if it meant every other teams' rule breaking (presumably less egregious) was disclosed and punishments that fit the crimes were incurred.
Marvin
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Leon is an outfielder... but maybe he can channel his inner Kirby Puckett.
heavens11
AG
Marvin said:

Mr.Bond said:

Leon is an outfielder... but maybe he can channel his inner Kirby Puckett.
Part of the reason I love baseball... humans of Altuve's stature can be HOF calibre players. Not sure he's even 5ft 6 :-)
the last of the bohemians
So Leon is Josh Tucker's replacement next year?
I like this signing more and more.
k20dub
AG
https://www.wsj.com/articles/houston-astros-cheating-scheme-dark-arts-codebreaker-11581112994

Anyone have a subscription?
Jackie Daytona
AG
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=astros+wsj&t=h_&ia=news&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.wsj.com%2Farticles%2Fhouston-astros-cheating-scheme-dark-arts-codebreaker-11581112994&pn=1

you should be able to click the article and read it from here. I was able to
First Page Last Page
Page 128 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.