*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,025,690 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just because he doesn't have the ideal body type doesn't mean he's a bad fielder. He burst isn't great, but he takes great routes and doesn't miss ones he should make. He's not making a ton of 5* catches though.
wangus12
AG
Guess LA is hoping they can just outscore teams in the playoffs because we all know that their All-star pitching gets to be about as unclutch as possible come October.

MaxPower
agproducer said:

MaxPower said:

You've missed the narrative. Only the Astros cheat. The commissioner told me so.....

Man if we don't get an extension with Springer during spring training we'd have to look like and hard at that type of package for him. Sucks to lose him but if he's walking in 8 months anyway might as well get set up with some young players.

You think it is appropriate to trade the World Series MVP and one of the best lead off hitters in the league when the Astros are expected again to contend for a WS title??!
If you're getting pitching that can help this year and next then yes I'd strongly consider that.
BMX Bandit
what team is trading pitching that can help now for a player that will be a free agent in October?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
That last little bit is just dumb....the point of moving reddick is to make room for Tucker..not to deal him away also
Teddy Perkins
AG
Q&A with Dusty.

Snippets
Quote:

How do you start to build a relationship with James Click?

You start with trust. You start with honesty. You be as straightforward as you can, with all situations. You don't sugarcoat anything. If you're asked a question, you answer to the best of your knowledge and ability. There are some things that I can learn from him. There are some things that possibly he can learn from me. It's like dealing with my son. I call him when I'm stumped on my computer, when I'm stumped on my cell phone, how to transfer this and that. These are areas where I can improve. There are areas [Click] wants to improve on. We'll enhance each other.

Have you met bench coach Joe Espada? How much will you rely on him this year?

I talked to Joe this morning. [I'll rely on him] a lot. I'm a big planner, especially during Spring Training. I like things sharp; I like things organized. I don't like a lot of standing around -- a bunch of dead time. He doesn't either. I'm relying on him quite a bit. He knows the players. He knows who works hard. He knows who might not work as hard. He knows who comes in early, who comes in late. There are some guys who work too hard where you might have to tell them to back off a little bit. He's giving me some insight into the team and to the players.

You are wearing "Baker Jr." on your uniform. Is that the first time you've added the "Junior"?

Yes. You try to learn from the youth. I've seen a lot of younger players, especially in football and basketball, have it. I just thought of it in the middle of the night. I thought about my dad. This is the 10th year [since he died]. A lot of people don't know I'm a Junior; they just know me as Dusty. My brother passed eight months ago. My son will be 21 next week. My grandson is almost three weeks old -- my first grandson. It's important to me to show my family. My [siblings], they like the respect I'm giving my dad.

Your general thoughts on using an opener?

I really don't know. You know something -- it's just a different name. Instead of the opener, we called them bullpen days. This is nothing new. You guys have different names for some of the same stuff we had names for before. It depends on the shape of your bullpen, the shape of your starting pitching and how many consecutive days you're going to be playing without days off. I'll be relying heavily on [pitching coach] Brent Strom, because Brent knows this team. He knows this pitching staff. I've got to rely on him.
Texaggie7nine
Quote:

I'll be relying heavily on [pitching coach] Brent Strom, because Brent knows this team. He knows this pitching staff. I've got to rely on him.
<Densel training day gif>
7nine
Deluxe
AG
That's not what I said. Clearly they aren't trading both players.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
What im saying though...is your looking to possibly trade a guy to ensure you make room for a player....If youre doing that you arent also considering that younger player
themissinglink
AG
Nothing to see here...

Mathguy64
AG
Da Fuq? Was that an illegal Apple Watch? The Dodgers should be forced to give up their WS trophy.

Wait. Scratch that. They should give up their NL Pennant.
Deluxe
AG
themissinglink said:

Nothing to see here...

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-watch-baseball-coach-fined-diamondbacks-prieto/

I had forgotten about the Diamondbacks bench coach who was fined for wearing an Apple Watch during the 2017 playoffs. MLB conducted an investigation but found no evidence of nefarious activity. Right.

At the very least, MLB should investigate and fine Lombard to be consistent. I doubt it will go anywhere because the Dodgers will just deny-deny-deny, but the more stories that come out like this, the better.
Deluxe
AG
We agree that trading Reddick is the far more likely scenario
Beat40

Edit for I read the comments and it looks like it may not be an Apple watch.
Beat40
CFTXAG10
AG
Don't worry, according to Jomboy Law you can jump to conclusions with no remorse or backlash
Mathguy64
AG
Beat40 said:

I don't care what the logo is on it. He's clearly talking into it.

MLB, Rob Manfred and the holier than thou media from Dreilich to Rosenthal to Jomboy and everyone in between can gobble my crank. They had an agenda to push and wanted this franchise torn down. If they were serious, they would write articles about this crap too. But they wont. The last thing they want is the Yankkes machine mad at them.
the last of the bohemians
Burst and agility are pretty important to stopping doubles, and whether or not you let the ball drop in front of you in the outfield. Judge is overrated in fielding, even by technology.
E
AG
Now Sabathia thinks the Yankees are 2017 WS Champs

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28641039/yankees-owner-hal-steinbrenner-wondered-astros-scandal

Edit: Steinbrenner said it sucks it happened against them in 2017 but baseball needs to move on... i.e. don't look too much into it cause they guilty
WES2006AG
AG
Quote:

"Clearly, there were direct implications to my organization, our team, our 2017 team. But at some point I think we all for the sake of the game and the good of the game, need to move on."
Translation: we got screwed but I don't want to dwell on it because if MLB looks closely we were also cheating...
Deluxe
AG
There were four games at MMP that series and they scored a grand total of 3 runs. Derangement.
WES2006AG
AG
Quote:

"There's no way that you can tell me that we weren't better than them," Sabathia said, mixing in profanities. "I cried like a baby. ... Forever in my mind now, in '17, we won the World Series."
CC's obesity related diabetes must be clouding his mind. What an asshat.
n_touch
Just send him a couple Golden Corral gift cards and he will forget the whole mess
MaxPower
BMX Bandit said:

what team is trading pitching that can help now for a player that will be a free agent in October?
The Padres? They were in on Betts and have 7 starters on the big league club plus 2 in the minors that are top 25 overall prospects in the league.
03_Aggie
WES2006AG said:

Quote:

"Clearly, there were direct implications to my organization, our team, our 2017 team. But at some point I think we all for the sake of the game and the good of the game, need to move on."
Translation: we got screwed but I don't want to dwell on it because if MLB looks closely we were also cheating...

That and they signed Cole. The guy who denied it taking place while he was here, even though the report said they did it the first part of the 2018 season.
CFTXAG10
AG
Oh the timing.

SW-14
AG
Did this just now pop up? Why wait till spring training is about to start to have surgery?
n_touch
SW-14 said:

Did this just now pop up? Why wait till spring training is about to start to have surgery?
The same reason people call in sick the the day are returning from vacation
Bulldog73
AG
There's a whole school of thought perpetuated by parts of the players union that rehab time should be on the "club's time" not on the down time of the players. Not saying that's the case here necessarily, but it is a semi-popular train of thought.
W
AG
that will put Paxton out for the first 2 months of the season likely.

which means the Astros won't see him when the Yankees come to MMP in May.

Paxton is a free agent after the 2020 season
W
AG
and regarding Betts to the Dodgers...

going from Fenway to Chavez Ravine...not exactly ideal for a hitter.

will see if his numbers suffer...like Machado's did in going from Camden to Petco
YNWA_AG
AG
Career year was in 2018 as well. He gets to play the "right way" now
CFTXAG10
AG
Farmer1906
AG
The more I think about, the more I expect this division to be pretty tough. I think we'll still win it and be a very clear favorite, but I could see LAA, TEX, & OAK all win 85+. The Angels have a very good line up and it just got better. They keep adding arms and it just may work out somewhat.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Texas will have to play a 200 game schedule to win 85+
First Page Last Page
Page 126 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.