*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,036,808 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Wabs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

We will see about that. Hopefully others come forward with stuff he cannot ignore.
The problem is that now players (even if they are promised immunity) will not talk. Everyone has seen the pitch fork mob against the Astros and they want no part of it - especially if they've been a vocal part of that mob. So, they'll not talk, not tell all the details, or just flat out lie.

ETA: He says "credible evidence", which gives him an exit ramp. He can just say "oh, that's not credible, so we're not investigating".
AustinCountyAg
I don't understand why everyone is piling on Crane. Astros got caught cheating and two of the most important people in the organization (Lunhow, Hinch) did nothing to stop it after being warned by both Crane and MLB. Hence, they lost their job.

Crane is going above and beyond because he wants to save face, but also because he is a rookie when it come to being an owner. No need to ruffle feathers with other owners and MLB. Everyone wants to compare to the patriots and Yankees etc, but their ownership has had a dog in the fight for many years as well as multiple championships. Crane doesn't want ours any more tainted than it already is. I back him completely for what he has done thus far.

On 790 they were talking about the apologies the players will give in spring training. They made a good point on the radio. Address it once, provide a few small details and then never comment on it again. When stupid reporter ask some silly questions all they have to say is "we already talked about it in spring training and thats all Im gunna say on the subject".

IMO they need to let the cat out of the bag and say exactly what they were doing, and basically say like I have been say all along that they knew what they were doing was wrong, but they also know other teams are doing similar things and they didn't think they were actually crossing the line as bad as it has been made out to be.
CFTXAG10
AG
Good point. Seems like you would need some anonymous tips to start being sent in to the media along with some video or photographic evidence that cannot be ignored. I do fear that the only thing that will get the commissioner to act/investigate is another viral news story like the one The Athletic put out there.
aTm2004
AG
Quote:

Crane is going above and beyond because he wants to save face, but also because he is a rookie when it come to being an owner. No need to ruffle feathers with other owners and MLB. Everyone wants to compare to the patriots and Yankees etc, but their ownership has had a dog in the fight for many years as well as multiple championships. Crane doesn't want ours any more tainted than it already is. I back him completely for what he has done thus far.
The other owners are completely happy to sit back and let Crane be the whipping boy. Crane needs to let his balls drop and stop being a pushover. The other owners will fall in line and back him because they know their team is just as guilty. Also, pushing back will stop the piling on that we continue to see because people know he'll just take it like a beaten dog.
irish pete ag06
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

We will see about that. Hopefully others come forward with stuff he cannot ignore.
TRM
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Good point. Seems like you would need some anonymous tips to start being sent in to the media along with some video or photographic evidence that cannot be ignored. I do fear that the only thing that will get the commissioner to act/investigate is another viral news story like the one The Athletic put out there.

The article wasn't really viral but Jomboy's video evidence was. I think nothing will come of it unless there's a story then there is video to go along with it. I agree with an earlier poster that the players will stay silent when questioned now unless Manfred threatens punishment for failure to cooperate in an investigation.
Noble07
AG
Quote:

IMO they need to let the cat out of the bag and say exactly what they were doing, and basically say like I have been say all along that they knew what they were doing was wrong, but they also know other teams are doing similar things and they didn't think they were actually crossing the line as bad as it has been made out to be.
I'm skeptical of this approach. A recent comparison in my opinion is the NBA/Hong Kong deal. Lebron tried to talk his way through his flub and it only got worse. In my personal life, I agree with taking ownership of the issue and apologizing. But with this public issue I think speaking on it will only make it worse, and raise more questions. I'm completely in the Bill Belichick school of Public Relationships when it comes to this.
Texaggie7nine
To me it is over complicated by the culture within baseball to not "snitch". So I would guess they wouldn't feel right by coming out swinging saying "well other teams are doing it too". So they would have to take responsibility and come up with a reason why they did it other than, other teams were cheating too.
7nine
03_Aggie
CFTXAG10 said:

Didn't we turn over seven teams that were also doing it? Does that mean we aren't credible or are they waiting until they finish the Red Sox investigation before moving on the next team from the list?
aTm2004
AG
Noble07 said:

Quote:

I'm skeptical of this approach. A recent comparison in my opinion is the NBA/Hong Kong deal. Lebron tried to talk his way through his flub and it only got worse. In my personal life, I agree with taking ownership of the issue and apologizing. But with this public issue I think speaking on it will only make it worse, and raise more questions. I'm completely in the Bill Belichick school of Public Relationships when it comes to this.
Just ask Grienke to go out and explain everything.
irish pete ag06
AG
03_Aggie said:

CFTXAG10 said:

Didn't we turn over seven teams that were also doing it? Does that mean we aren't credible or are they waiting until they finish the Red Sox investigation before moving on the next team from the list?
Apparently it's only credible if Bomjoy runs with it.
Frok
AG
Quote:

No need to ruffle feathers with other owners and MLB

Translation: Stop winning

irish pete ag06
AG
The silence from MLB hitters on this is absolutely deafening in my opinion. The only main outspoken people have been pitchers: Bauer, Clevinger, Stroman, Archer, Fiers (of course)...

If this was something unique to the Astros alone... other team's hitters would be going bonkers about it too.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
WES2006AG
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

03_Aggie said:

CFTXAG10 said:

Apparently it's only credible if Bomjoy runs with it.
Let's hope all Astros fans have unsubscribed and stopped giving that moron clicks.
Deluxe
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

The silence from MLB hitters on this is absolutely deafening in my opinion. The only main outspoken people have been pitchers: Bauer, Clevinger, Stroman, Archer, Fiers (of course)...

If this was something unique to the Astros alone... other team's hitters would be going bonkers about it too.

Yasmani Grandal came out a few weeks ago (before the punishments) and said something like "if you aren't cheating, you aren't trying". But you're right. Not much from the hitters.
CFTXAG10
AG
One spot filled.

spadilly
S
aTm2004
AG
Mathguy64
AG
spadilly said:

Hell no, oh hell no, no, meh, who?, no not in a million years, and a mystery.

That's a list that is scary bad.

Where is Espada?
W
AG
methinks Espada would have been hired by now...if he were going to be the guy
Ag_07
AG
It's not THAT bad.

Gibbons would be a good hire and I think Venables is a solid up and comer.

Wonder who the mystery is and why it's a mystery but these others aren't.
Agnzona
mwm said:

It seems to me that the sports media has taken a page out of the playbook of the media covering politics.

Exactly true and it shows how it doesn't have to be a secretly coordinated effort.. Just a bunch of incurious drones following the lead of a few.
Mathguy64
AG
Respectfully disagree. Half that interview list (lizard, Showalter and Bammy) is a disaster. Gibbons spent a lot of time at Toronto and has 750 wins in 11 years. That's a lot of losing and in their rebuild to new younger players they jettisoned him. That's not a ringing endorsement.

I don't know enough about Venables to comment. And I wonder why Espada isn't there.
Bobby Jimbo
AG
I wonder if "at least one mystery candidate" means each of the Killer B's.
CFTXAG10
AG
Mystery Candidate "AJ Finch"

. . .
"Keep an eye on Dusty Baker with Hou. He has a real shot."

Ag_07
AG
Oh I completely I agree with you on those three. I'm gonna have a hard time coming around to either of those guys running this club.

Everything I've read says Gibbons is a players manager who always has his guys back (hence the number of ejections). The Blue Jay's were a mess during his tenure and this team doesn't have as many young guys anymore. Think he'd be a good mix of experience, old school but also laid back and loose.

I posted it last night but I hope the mystery candidate is Tim Bogar. He would be at the top of my list.
dixichkn
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

CFTXAG10
AG
Question:
So Banister is interviewing today, if it truly came down to him or Dusty Baker, who would you rather have? And no, Orbit is not a legit answer.

dixichkn
AG
. . . said:

"Keep an eye on Dusty Baker with Hou. He has a real shot."
dixichkn
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Question:
So Banister is interviewing today, if it truly came down to him or Dusty Baker, who would you rather have? And no, Orbit is not a legit answer.

I'd rather have a gaping head wound
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Am I the only one who thinks that it doesn't really matter who we hire as manager?
aTm2004
AG
Yes.
irish pete ag06
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Am I the only one who thinks that it doesn't really matter who we hire as manager?
This seems weird coming from you who seemed to think Hinch was a huge factor in winning and losing games.
First Page Last Page
Page 105 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.