World Series Game 7 ticket prices falling: 'The whole city is depressed'

2,632 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Proposition Joe
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is pathetic. It's Game 7 of the ****ing World Series. The prices should be skyrocketing, not dropping.

World Series Game 7 ticket prices falling: 'The whole city is depressed'

Cromagnum
AG
Overpriced to begin with, but that's a separate issue.

Our city has always had fairweather fans for every sport.
bobinator
AG
This is both a stupid article and a stupid premise for an article.

Shocker than there's higher demand for a game that we knew would happen several days ago than a game that we didn't know would happen until like 16 hours ago.
Proposition Joe
The Astros and the brokerage they partner with are selling directly on the secondary market which has manipulated supply (and in this case tanked demand price).

Something like 3,000+ tickets were added to Stubhub after 11PM last night, many of them sets of 10-20 tickets in a row. That's the Astros and the brokerage they work with.

Most of the articles about tickets these days are just cookie-cutter articles that don't really understand that fan interest is nowadays just a small % of what makes up a ticket market price.
Texaggie7nine
Maybe a lot of regular fans spent all their money on Game 6 thinking it would be the last, and are too broke to get game 7.
7nine
Topher17
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Maybe a lot of regular fans spent all their money on Game 6 thinking it would be the last, and are too broke to get game 7.
I think this has some merit. There's a limited number of people who are willing to or can afford to drop ~$900+ on tickets (not many people going as singles). Having played three games, a ton of those people have already gone and may be weary of dropping that $$ again.

Also, the whole article is ridiculous. Houston isn't depressed, it is a Wednesday where we didn't know there'd be a game until yesterday. I'd love to be there, but living 3 hours from Houston, I can't get there on a Wednesday night and I'm damn sure not going with only a SRO ticket.
Panama Red
AG
Mike Hensley is a moron

Quote:

In downtown Houston, a couple of blocks from Minute Maid Park, Astros fan Mike Hensley was trying to find companions to attend the game with him while pricing tickets in the secondary market.

"Game 2 tickets were $1,200 plus fees. Today's are $600 plus fees," Hensley said. "Houston's depressed, and ticket prices reflect that."
Buck Compton
AG
Proposition Joe said:

The Astros and the brokerage they partner with are selling directly on the secondary market which has manipulated supply (and in this case tanked demand price).

Something like 3,000+ tickets were added to Stubhub after 11PM last night, many of them sets of 10-20 tickets in a row. That's the Astros and the brokerage they work with.

Most of the articles about tickets these days are just cookie-cutter articles that don't really understand that fan interest is nowadays just a small % of what makes up a ticket market price.
For the last ****ing time this postseason... the MLB controls most of the ticket process during the playoffs.
Proposition Joe
Buck Compton said:

Proposition Joe said:

For the last ****ing time this postseason... the MLB controls most of the ticket process during the playoffs.

No, that's not how any of this works. The Astros and their brokerage partner controlled 90% of the tickets for the playoffs.

MLB has their hold backs for commissioner, broadcast partners, guests, etc... but that's a small percentage of the stadium.

MLB sets/suggests face value pricing, but teams get around that by funneling through the secondary market.
Buck Compton
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Buck Compton said:

Proposition Joe said:

No, that's not how any of this works. The Astros and their brokerage partner controlled 90% of the tickets for the playoffs.

MLB has their hold backs for commissioner, broadcast partners, guests, etc... but that's a small percentage of the stadium.

MLB sets/suggests face value pricing, but teams get around that by funneling through the secondary market.
Okay then, say that's true (even though the MLB has a heavy hand in it)... Why else would all ticket sales go through their website and their lottery system?

Why is that a bad thing. Stopping ticket brokers and scalpers from running up the prices on the secondary market and allowing more fans to see the games at a lower price? What a travesty.
Ag_07
AG
I think it's as simple as the Astros released a bunch of tickets they had set aside for new 2020 season ticket purchasers. Since this is GM 7 they released all they were holding back.

That release flooded the market and increased supply thus lowering the price.

Explains why secondary marketplaces are upset throwing out the depressed city line.
annie88
AG
Oh for ****s sake.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FJB TRUMP 2024.
Liquid Wrench
Yep. They were still sending out those emails after the series started.
CHOCOLATE CHIP TRIP
I don't know about you guys, but the only thing I care about is winning. When I go see the Ags, if they don't win, to me the entire trip and day were a waste. I sit in a founder's suite for most games with food, booze, and air conditioning, but if the Ags lose, I always wish I'd just stayed the **** home.

That being the case, I tend to avoid going to games that the Ags have a high probability of losing. After last night's pathetic showing by the Astros, and the fact that Scherzer is going to be tough to hit, most Astros fans probably see this as a game that they are pretty likely to lose. I know I do. I wouldn't want to be there to see it happen either.
Proposition Joe
Buck Compton said:

Proposition Joe said:

Buck Compton said:

Proposition Joe said:

Okay then, say that's true (even though the MLB has a heavy hand in it)... Why else would all ticket sales go through their website and their lottery system?

Why is that a bad thing. Stopping ticket brokers and scalpers from running up the prices on the secondary market and allowing more fans to see the games at a lower price? What a travesty.
I didn't say it was a good or a bad thing, was simply stating how it works. The MLB doesn't have a "heavy hand" in it. They have suggested face value prices, past that and a few thousand holdbacks, the teams can do what they please with the tickets.

Astros are pushing their own tickets to Stubhub at over "face value", and they are pushing their own tickets over to their brokerage partner to list on other secondary outlets at over "face value".

Good/bad/neutral, it all depends on what the market is. In this case it drove prices down, in other cases it has driven prices up. It's just significant when you read articles like these to realize that "face value" doesn't mean a thing -- most teams are pushing their own tickets to the secondary market at market price.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.