When Pujols Broke Lidge

2,939 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AgSportsFan89
kb2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I found this video tonight, and it's a good one. I was at game 5 in 2005 when Pujols hit the homer that broke Lidge, 3rd base side, section 109 or 107, about 14 rows up, I don't recall exactly but it was where the wall kicks out in left. I about got whiplash watching that ball hit the tracks, and the ballpark went silent. Oswalt dominated game 6 in STL to get us to the series, but Lidge was never the same in Houston. I was happy for Lidge when he got past his demons and won the WS with Philly. On another note, a coworker of mine actually grew up with Lidge in Cherry Creek in the Denver area, and played LL ball with him.

Good video, and this channel is great in general, worth checking out.

kb2001
AG
The worst part about that game long term to me was that Berkman achieved legend status in the 7th with a 3-run homer. We knew we need 6 outs after that, and Pujols was 8 batters away. But Eckstein is scrappy, then Thome gets a gift, and Berkman's HR became a side note with one more swing.

Liquid Wrench
I remember seeing the "Lidge Happens" bumper stickers on a couple cars around town after that.
Ags #1
AG
Lol
ABATTBQ11
AG
**** pujols. That is all.
Philip J Fry
AG
Don't care. Won a WS in 2017. Amazing how it makes the bad memories go away.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Astros won the series. You think Cincinnati fans are upset about carlton Fisk's homer?
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Great player and great team! Go Cards!
Aston 91
AG
I was at that game also. I've never felt a stadium full of people go from New Year's Eve/Mardi Gras/St. Patrick's Day party atmosphere to funeral parlor quiet so fast.
JDUB08AG
AG
I almost forget we actually won that series
W
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Astros won the series. You think Cincinnati fans are upset about carlton Fisk's homer?
yep, the Scott Rolen homer in the 2004 NLCS should be the one that causes the anguish
Satellite of Love
lda6339 said:

Great player and great team! Go Cards!
Flagged your post for being hateful!
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
W
AG
also...the mystique and legend of Altuve's ALCS walkoff HR...does further rise (or fall a little) with the outcome of the world series
jopatura
AG
If we win the World Series, no Astros fan will remember Altuve's home run. I had forgotten all about the 18 inning game until it was mentioned this week with Bregman's Grand Slam. At the time I never thought I'd forget that.

Everyone remember that Pujols homerun because it was so ****ing heartbreaking. I imagine most Yankees fans will never forget in the same way though.
Mathguy64
AG
Pujols was a great player. Steroids will do that to do. Make you better.
AgSportsFan89
AG
jopatura said:

If we win the World Series, no Astros fan will remember Altuve's home run. I had forgotten all about the 18 inning game until it was mentioned this week with Bregman's Grand Slam. At the time I never thought I'd forget that.

Uhhh, I disagree completely. I will never forget the homer that got us back to the world series. Just like I'll never forget Burke's homer to get us over the Braves roadblock we hit every year.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.