Your official spot to debate the Astros treatment of the staffer Brandon Taubman

6,371 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Old Tom Morris
Keeper of The Spirits
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hint its already on the politics board

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3070097
8T2
Nah, I already know how that conversation goes.
astros4545
AG
I appreciate your astros highlight videos
themissinglink
AG
Twitter mob turning on Luhnow now...
Ags #1
AG
Lol. Are you serious? Lunhow aint going anywhere
Gap
AG
They fired him?

I stopped following the story because I'm sick of the media trying to ruin sports. It bores me. But they got their mark here. Problem is you just empowered them to do it again. Sometimes you have to stand up to the tiny % of America that is the Twitter mob. Sad the Astros organization showed this weakness.
BMX Bandit
Gap said:

They fired him?

I stopped following the story because I'm sick of the media trying to ruin sports. It bores me. But they got their mark here. Problem is you just empowered them to do it again. Sometimes you have to stand up to the tiny % of America that is the Twitter mob. Sad the Astros organization showed this weakness.

If you had an expendable employee that embarrassed your company at what was suppose ms to be a great moment and he wasn't honest with you about what happened which led you to issue an idiotic denial, you'd just laugh it off?
astros4545
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Gap said:

They fired him?

If you had an expendable employee that embarrassed your company at what was suppose ms to be a great moment and he wasn't honest with you about what happened which led you to issue an idiotic denial, you'd just laugh it off?

If China asked me to
safety guy
AG
If the guy targeted the "reporters" because of their tweets, initiated the comments, and subsequently lied about it to the point that the Astros publicly defended him... He deserved to be fired. What he should have done is basically nothing other than shaking his head with pity at the reporters. They had no story that they were looking for and ended up getting a story that highlighted their position.
Gap
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Gap said:

They fired him?

The entire thing was done in the locker room in front of a lot of people. It situation was supposedly loud and yelled. There are no surprises or new information here if that story is true. There was no "embarassment" for several days before the story was put in print and the usual Twitter mob organized and pretended to REALLY care. Lets recall the quote attributed to him was:

"Thank God we got Osuna. I'm so f------ glad we got Osuna."

So harsh. Who could take such an attack on all women. If Ludnow and Crane disagree with Taubman's statement, they need to fire themselves as they are the ones who brought Osuna to Houston.
BMX Bandit
You completely avoided the question. Well done.

The notion they agree or disagree with the statement bring relevant is quite comical. Guessing you know that
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I always preferred Scott Servais to Eddie Taubensee.
Gap
AG
BMX Bandit said:

The notion they agree or disagree with the statement bring relevant is quite comical. Guessing you know that
I thought I addressed your question with my first few sentences. What were the lies? Didn't this event occur with the entire team and Astros administration in the room and occur in a loud manner that in the word of the female sports writer were "frightening" especially to the sports writer wearing the "purple domestic violence awareness bracelet".

Next steps I've seen in the media today after firing Taubman:

1) the Astros' delay in acting responsibly should be remembered at least as much as the fact that they eventually did act (message: not enough was done with the firing to make this go away)

2) Luhnow needs to apologize

3) Luhnow needs to be fired

So, my assumption is that the Astros are trying to appease the Twitter mob to make the story go away. Lesson to be learned, you can't appease the Twitter mob. Their goal is to ruin everything. They really don't care much about the issue they are complaining about. It is just a tool to beat you over the head with their righteousness.
astros4545
AG
Unless Luhnow beats his own wife with a Mexican churro, there ain't no way he gets fired
agsquirrel97
AG
Apply this philosophy to apologizing to twitter mob

Apologize once and you are forever marked as a soft target. If they get any satisfaction from you, they keep attacking. Always take the Howard Stern approach, no one ever attempts to get Howard to apologize for something because they know they will get no satisfaction and they move on to find a soft target that will cave to their brow beating cancel culture.

Withstand the initial onslaught and it will fade forever. Give an inch and it will never, ever stop.
94chem
Was game 6 really the game that made him so happy that they got Osuna? Really? Pretty obvious what he was doing, and the Astros knew it from the moment it happened.
bigjag19
AG
I don't understand why you would be saying that after he blew that save.

That alone is grounds for removal.
Philip J Fry
AG
Gap said:

BMX Bandit said:

I thought I addressed your question with my first few sentences. What were the lies? Didn't this event occur with the entire team and Astros administration in the room and occur in a loud manner that in the word of the female sports writer were "frightening" especially to the sports writer wearing the "purple domestic violence awareness bracelet".

Next steps I've seen in the media today after firing Taubman:

1) the Astros' delay in acting responsibly should be remembered at least as much as the fact that they eventually did act (message: not enough was done with the firing to make this go away)

2) Luhnow needs to apologize

3) Luhnow needs to be fired

So, my assumption is that the Astros are trying to appease the Twitter mob to make the story go away. Lesson to be learned, you can't appease the Twitter mob. Their goal is to ruin everything. They really don't care much about the issue they are complaining about. It is just a tool to beat you over the head with their righteousness.

Spot on. The Astros response should have mirrored Taubma's. We are HAPPY Osuna is on this team. Get over it.

Instead they made it worse by trying to appease the extremists. Never works.
BMX Bandit
He lied to the Astros about the context in which and to whom he was yelling those things.

Quote:

Didn't this event occur with the entire team and Astros administration in the room and occur in a loud manner that in the word of the female sports writer were "frightening" especially to the sports writer wearing the "purple domestic violence awareness bracelet".
I know you admitted to not following the story, but you really need to understand where and when this happened. It wasn't everyone sitting around quitely and then he starts yelling. It was a madhouse and the likelihood the entire team or administration was in earshot is highly unlikely.

I agree what he did isn't a big deal. But pushing the idea that he was just supporting Osuna and the team also supports Osuna is about as dishonest an argument as one can make here.

Its clear as day what he was doing. That in itself likely doesn't get him fired. But whatever he told his bosses made them issue a terrible statement. I take it by your refusal to answer my question about that you understand that and are just being contrarian to make a point about the twitter mob (which no one here disagrees with)

and this is over now. He's gone, some on twitter will complain Lunhow should be gone too, by Monday no one will care.
Ag_07
AG
At the end of the day it was an exec dropping an F bomb at a female reporter. Not very professional

Throw in that it had to do with Osuna and that reporter had an ax to grind on the subject and you get what has happened.

94chem
That locker room celebration is the equivalent of the company Christmas party. No matter how drunk everybody is, you still can't say whatever you want.
ccaggie05
AG
I don't blame the Astros for firing Taubman. It sounds like he wasn't honest when initially asked by the organization what happened, which is what likely led to the initial statement that the Astros are getting raked over the coals about. On top of that, no matter how much those reporters might antagonize you and the team for getting Osuna, as a representative of the front office, you have to have enough self control not to have an outburst like that knowing this is exactly what would happen.

With that said, I'm also not surprised that a certain portion of the media and Twitter mob want more skulls. I just saw a story by Jake Kaplan in The Athletic that is essentially saying, "great you fired Taubman, who's next?". He proceeds to talk about about all the people involved in the initial PR statement prior to release, including Luhnow himself. It's not hard to infer that Kaplan thinks more heads need to roll. People on Twitter want PR folks fired, and some even want Luhnow fired. Where does it end?
mazag08
AG
ccaggie05 said:

I don't blame the Astros for firing Taubman. It sounds like he wasn't honest when initially asked by the organization what happened, which is what likely led to the initial statement that the Astros are getting raked over the coals about. On top of that, no matter how much those reporters might antagonize you and the team for getting Osuna, as a representative of the front office, you have to have enough self control not to have an outburst like that knowing this is exactly what would happen.

With that said, I'm also not surprised that a certain portion of the media and Twitter mob want more skulls. I just saw a story by Jake Kaplan in The Athletic that is essentially saying, "great you fired Taubman, who's next?". He proceeds to talk about about all the people involved in the initial PR statement prior to release, including Luhnow himself. It's not hard to infer that Kaplan thinks more heads need to roll. People on Twitter want PR folks fired, and some even want Luhnow fired. Where does it end?

It ends when Luhnow says..

"Our employee got fired for lying to us. We initially supported him, but the truth was more alarming. Once we found out what actually happened, we acted accordingly. We apologize to SI for attempting to discredit their story. Nobody else will be getting fired. And as of today, no person not associated directly with the Astros will be allowed in our locker room at any time. We really don't care if you disagree".
zephyr88
AG
bigjag19 said:

I don't understand why you would be saying that after he blew that save.

That alone is grounds for removal.
THIS^^^

Osuna somehow got the backdoor "W" after giving up 2 runs in the 9th (thank you Altuve).

Osuna is a polarizing player and there's no fkn reason that Taubman should have been praising Osuna that night unless he was just trying to be a dick (which is exactly what it sounds like).

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
1876er
AG
Why do y'all feel the need to defend a guy who is clearly an *******?
Ags #1
AG
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27926780/the-houston-astros-front-office-missteps-began-long-brandon-taubman-comments

Jeff Passan not letting up
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

With that said, I'm also not surprised that a certain portion of the media and Twitter mob want more skulls. I just saw a story by Jake Kaplan in The Athletic that is essentially saying, "great you fired Taubman, who's next?"
Agenda memos went out:

The ESPN article was fascinating. A whole lot of resentment at an outsider organization reaching sustainable success, and looking for any reason to indict the whole organization. The Stros have gone from being NASA to having a problematic culture with a pattern of behavior.

And it should be noted that the original SI story was wrong. Nobody singled out a group of reporters because they were female or wearing some special bracelet. It was Alyson Footer, who's always sought some sort of mini celebrity status for being the chick on the Astros beat.
Philip J Fry
AG
themissinglink said:

Right on queue. The left is so predictable. One of these days, there will be a corporation that ignores the twitter mob of fake outrage. Wish it would have been the Astros.
ccaggie05
AG
Body By Fisher said:

Quote:

With that said, I'm also not surprised that a certain portion of the media and Twitter mob want more skulls. I just saw a story by Jake Kaplan in The Athletic that is essentially saying, "great you fired Taubman, who's next?"
Agenda memos went out:

The ESPN article was fascinating. A whole lot of resentment at an outsider organization reaching sustainable success, and looking for any reason to indict the whole organization. The Stros have gone from being NASA to having a problematic culture with a pattern of behavior.

And it should be noted that the original SI story was wrong. Nobody singled out a group of reporters because they were female or wearing some special bracelet. It was Alyson Footer, who's always sought some sort of mini celebrity status for being the chick on the Astros beat.

So I heard Jeff Passan on the ESPN Daily podcast talk about how the Astros organization been a problem for years but didn't describe much of anything prior to the Osuna trade last year.

I decided to read his ESPN article hoping he'd shed light on all these horrible incidents that pre-date Osuna that I haven't heard about. So basically, the Astros are evil because Ludnow came in, fired the traditional scouts, and have been a data driven organization that doesn't abide by the "norms" of the sport (like traditional scouts). They've gotten plenty of crap for being different and from the start the Astros haven't cared what outsiders think. Apparently that is also part of the problematic cultures per Passan.

So basically all his talk about how the Astros are this team with a longstanding problematic culture boils down to other teams being jealous and bitter that the Astros did things differently and won with data driven nerds vs traditional baseball types. What a bunch of crap honestly.

I'll note it does look like the media folks got the memo this week and smell blood in the water. The Athletic put out a piece today exploring the Astros toxic culture where they apparently talked to a bunch of former Astros employees who refused to allow any specifics be printed, but trust them, the organization is toxic and evil! The article did speak in generalities, saying stuff like the Astros pay low and don't offer great opportunities for advancement.

Pretty crazy how everybody, including the Houston Chronicle, is taking this opportunity to do their part to tear this organization down.
ccaggie05
AG
Philip J Fry said:

themissinglink said:

Right on queue. The left is so predictable. One of these days, there will be a corporation that ignores the twitter mob of fake outrage. Wish it would have been the Astros.

There is, Chick-Fil-A, and they have never been successful.
3 Toed Pete
AG
Philip J Fry said:

themissinglink said:

MLB was investigating this and would never let the Astros or any other team take a controversial position.
Gap
AG
Next distraction from New York and the media during the World Series.

tylercsbn9
AG
Dude got fired because he lied about his intent.

He 100% said it to the lady because she constantly *****ed about Osuna.

She obviously couldn't handle the **** talking herself but it wasn't why he was fired. Had he not lied in the immediate aftermath (which resulted in that PR statement) the Astros still may have employed him.
Goose83
AG
It's one thing not to kowtow to political correctness, it's quite another to act like a loudmouth jerk.

Good riddance.
Goose83
AG
Double post.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.