What about Altuve is not to love???

4,519 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Big Al 1992
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
similar story with Biggio and Jackie Robinson.

Biggio played about 70% of his career games at 2B. Robinson about 60%
W
AG
Alomar would be in the top 5. He is a Hall of Famer. Very consistent
astros4545
AG
W said:

Alomar would be in the top 5. He is a Hall of Famer. Very consistent

Great spitter too
94chem
W said:

gotta check the numbers before posting...

Rod Carew actually played more career games at first base than he did at second base.

the season (1977) in which Carew won his MVP...he played 150 games at first base.

still a great player nonetheless
He also started his career before 1969 - I thought that was why you excluded him. Got it - he was a first-baseman when I was a kid.

Sandberg was a great player. He probably was #2 all-time if you only count day games at Wrigley Field. He was a beast there - almost like the Coors Field of the '80's. Hence my comment about WGN. He was the Cal Ripken of 2nd base - never made an error if you hit it at him.
W
AG
unfortunately that is a part of his (Alomar's) legacy.

one note on Sandberg...he won the 1984 NL MVP award. That's a big thing on his resume that Alomar does not have.

(and of course Altuve has an MVP award too)
Big Al 1992
AG
May have told this story before -
My kids were Astro Buddies (like me 40 years ago!) in 2011.

One of the events was "Meet the Astros" so we wait in line for an hour outside. They let us in and a couple players were at tables on the concourse - not even on the field! We got baseballs autographed by these superstars - Matt Downs, Carlos Corporan, and Mark Melencon. I was upset - no Bourne, no Pence, not even a Wandy sighting. But there was a little guy - also signing - was it a bat boy? There was a very short line. I looked up on my Blackberry (it was 2011) the name that was in front of him and saw he had just been called up that week. I congratulated him on being called up and said something like "Welcome to Major Leagues". Still disappointed at the time that everyone we met would probably be out of the league in a year. I was wrong about the new guy. My kids still have the baseballs with Jose Altuve 27 signed on them.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.