What about Altuve is not to love???

4,513 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Big Al 1992
Dr. Mephisto
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Seriously, his post game interview has got to gain some fans!

The dude is $ and class!
96AgGrad
AG
His wikipedia's page just said "He is the father of Aroldis Chapman"
Ryan34
AG
He's pretty good but he's no Rougned Odor.
Dr. Mephisto
AG
I seriously love this dude!!!

He always talks about God, and its about time . . .
Tone2002
*in tears* can't stop trying
halfastros81
AG
That last at bat was a thing of beauty. The one knock on Jose' has been plate discipline but he couldn't have written up a more disciplined at bat.

He is a player for the ages imo. Sure HoF'er.

Old Sarge
AG
It just sunk home tonight, with my 14 yr old, as much as I've tried to tell him before, we have pics of him hitting off a tee, with Altuve looking on in Altuve's rookie year, and signing a baseball for him on the spot.

This just now sunk in. Just now. (message to all the kid owners out there, it takes this long sometimes).

WTF?

Canyon99
You've got to be a bitter ******* to root against Altuve. That's all there is to it folks.
amercer
AG
HOF
Aggie12B
AG
I HOPE ALTUVE is an ASTRO his entire career.
fullback44
AG
Correa said Tuve said he was sitting on the slider and waited for that pitch ... Chapman wasn't hitting the FB for a strike (threw high FBs to Springer on the walk and 2 high FB to Tuve) so he knew to get strikes he was gonna have to throw him some sliders

Smart player
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
It sort of sounds like blasphemy in my own head, since I d a teenager - to early 30s for the Bagwell and Biggio years, but the magnitude at which Altuve has produced in big games has elevated him above both of him to the greatest player in Astro history.

Bidge and Baggy put up giant career numbers, but with no more major injuries, Altuve might catch Biggio eventually. But that doesn't even really matter. When you produce in the post-season to the point of carrying the team on your back, your importance to the franchise mushrooms past any regular-season excellence, no matter how many years it lasts.

His career post-season numbers in 43 games are up to .287 average, .354 OBP, .552 SLG, .906 OPS. You're an all-star if you can do that in the regular season. You're a statute if you do it in the post season.

In 43 career post-season games, he has 50 hits, 13 HR, 28 RBI. That's against what is presumably the best pitching in your league and in the NL. 43 games is a little less than 1/4th of a regular season. On that pace in a regular season, he'd hit 48 HR and drive in 105 runs. And he's FIVE FOOT SIX 165 pounds!

In 2 full series not including the 2015 Wild Card play-in game,, Altuve has gone 16-for-48 (.333) against the Yankees with 5 HR, 7 RBI, and is slugging .667 against them with an OBP of .500 and an OPS of 1.167. Those are just ridiculous numbers.

The things he does in the post-season are the things you always want your best players to do in the most critical times. If you grew up an Astro fan in any previous decade, there were always those moments n the biggest stage where you thought "Wouldn't it be great if Player X could just end it here?" Rarely, if ever was the case. This team is different, and Jose Altuve is the straw who stirs the drink.

mwm
You know what I like the most about Altuve? His humility. He didn't want to talk about himself. He wanted to talk about Brantley, LaPina, Reddick, Correa and their contributions. He deflects personal praise directed at him toward his teammates.

He would make a great "I am second".
W
AG
a couple of years ago after Altuve won the MVP, we had the "greatest second basemen of all-time discussion" and so forth...

using the division era (1969-to-present) or even going back to the end of WWII (1946)-to-present...

I think Altuve has passed Sandberg now and moved into 2nd place all-time behind Joe Morgan
Martin Cash
AG
I took my dad to his last Astros game, 5 months before he died. It happened to be Altuve's debut game.
jkag89
halfastros81 said:

That last at bat was a thing of beauty. The one knock on Jose' has been plate discipline but he couldn't have written up a more disciplined at bat.

He is a player for the ages imo. Sure HoF'er.
It can be very frustrating but I just accept it as a foible in his approach that fosters Tuve doing Tuve type things.
W
AG
perhaps also blasphemy...Altuve may have knocked Nolan Ryan or Earl Campbell off the Mount Rushmore of Houston sports.

never thought I'd see that day.

(Olajuwon is safe thanks to the 2 titles)
BMX Bandit
Dream
Altuve
JJ
Earl
Mr_mo8268
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Dream
Altuve
JJ
Earl

Agree with all but JJ. Unsure who would be my 4th right now but it's now JJ.
BMX Bandit
3 time defensive player of year + Harvey.

He's immortal in Houston.
Sex Panther
AG
I literally love Jose Altuve

It's impossible to dislike him. If you do, you are one sad, miserable *******
annie88
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Dream
Altuve
JJ
Earl

Me too
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FJB TRUMP 2024.
agsalaska
AG
Martin Cash said:

I took my dad to his last Astros game, 5 months before he died. It happened to be Altuve's debut game.
And that was a BAD team.

One week before JD Martinez.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
PhatMack19
AG
Max Power
AG
Along with all the other accolades he's the best hitter of all time that doesn't know what the strike zone actually is. He's not concerned with trivial things like what the umpire will call. High, low, inside, outside, it's all fair game.

Also he was here when we were in the basement of baseball, he's been through the whole process, love that guy and his success. It's gotta be that much better for a guy like him.
McInnis
AG
I really think he makes the other players on the team better. Always laughing, dancing, goofing around in the dugout keeping everyone loose. This team is a reflection of his personality.

As great as Biggio and Bagwell were they were always so intense, so serious. Could that be why their teams always struggled so much in post-season?
_lefraud_
AG
Vladimir Guerrero says hi

But yes, Altuve is an amazing player, and agree with everyone here, if you don't like him...you have issues.
SJEAg
AG
I'd put Biggio above JJ...although JJ obviously has time to change this. Postseasons aside (which doesn't help JJ's case) , Biggio was a fixture for almost 20 years and our first true HOFer. Until 2017, when the world thought of the Astros Biggio is was what they pictured.

And I'd put JJ above Ryan. I don't think he can be on our Rushmore when the outside world and HOF associate him to another team. I won't discuss Earl because he was a little before my time so can't speak first hand of his impact.
McInnis
AG
Earl made the Love ya Blue thing blow up in Houston, and it was a great time to be an Oilers fan. But he only played for the Oilers 6 or 7 years, and peaked after year 3.
docb
AG
One of the most talented players I've ever seen. He's an inspiration to younger players that you don't have to be big to be a great baseball player.
CoachAg19
AG
As much as I hate to say it, because I grew up an absolute die-hard fan of Craig Biggio, you're absolutely correct. Altuve has surpassed both Biggio and Jeff Bagwell as the greatest Astros player in history. The pace that Altuve is on for his career numbers is absolutely insane, he's been the leader of a team that's won 100+ games three straight season, he's produced like nobody else in the postseason, and this team is destined to continue this run for another few years. If he can remain healthy, Altuve will leave absolutely no doubt in anybody's mind that he's the greatest Astro ever, on his way to the Hall of Fame.
The craziest part is that the Astros have multiple guys who, if healthy and if we can hang on to them, will easily surpass Biggio and Bagwell by the end of their careers. Altuve, Springer, Correa, and Bregman all have that kind of talent and ability if they can stay healthy and if the Astros can hang on to all of them. I predict we will see #27, #2, #4, #1, and #35 hanging in the rafters at MMP one day. Hang on to Cole and we'll see #45 up there one day as well.
Class of 2010
94chem
W said:

a couple of years ago after Altuve won the MVP, we had the "greatest second basemen of all-time discussion" and so forth...

using the division era (1969-to-present) or even going back to the end of WWII (1946)-to-present...

I think Altuve has passed Sandberg now and moved into 2nd place all-time behind Joe Morgan
Sandberg better than Rod Carew or Roberto Alomar? Did you grow up in Chicago or something? Did you have WGN AI implants?

Anyway, back to the topic - NO, there is nothing to not like about Altuve. As a lifelong Rangers fan, Altuve is still one of my favorites. I was talking with my wife about how you always respect greatness (like Brady or Lance Armstrong), but it' nice when that greatness comes with humility and character (as far as I know - Staubach, Emmitt Smith, Adrian Beltre...).

BMX Bandit
Quote:

Lance Armstrong

Arguably the Greatest cheater ever. Definitely the most lying pompous POS about cheating ever.
docb
AG
Yep, he's a POS!!!
W
AG
gotta check the numbers before posting...

Rod Carew actually played more career games at first base than he did at second base.

the season (1977) in which Carew won his MVP...he played 150 games at first base.

still a great player nonetheless
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.