Best MLB has me you ever saw live...

5,737 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by NE PA Ag
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aug 29, 1989
Cubs at the Astros
Starting pitchers:
Greg Maddux
Nolan Ryan

Astros score in the first to take a 1-0 lead.
Nolan shuts out the Cubs thru 7 until Andre Dawson takes him deep.
1-1.

Maddux goes 9 innings giving up 1 run.
Nolan does 8 giving up 1 run.

Cubs win in the top of the 11th.

Notable players in this game.
HoF:
Nolan Ryan
Greg Maddux
Andre Dawson
Ryne Sandburg
Craig Biggio

Other notables:
Bill Doran
Glenn Davis
Mitch Webster
Mark Grace
Rafael Palmeiro
Buddy Bell
Kevin Bass

All those great hof hitters stymied by 2 of the best pitchers of my youth.

Edit: This was just a random game of 2 non play off teams with 5 future HoFamers and a guy that has over 500 career homers.

What random regular season game have you been to with this collection of talent?
South Platte
I attended both Nolan Ryan vs. Robin Ventura and Kenny Rogers' perfect game. It's impossible for me to distguish between the two.
titanmaster_race
Game 5 of the 2017 World Series
Rudyjax
AG
South Platte said:

I attended both Nolan Ryan vs. Robin Ventura and Kenny Rogers' perfect game. It's impossible for me to distguish between the two.

Nice. I was at A&M during both.

My first visit to the temple was in 1998. Guess I need to get out there this year.
South Platte
I Am Mine said:

South Platte said:

My first visit to the temple was in 1998. Guess I need to get out there this year.
Better hurry. Fortunately MLB gave us two of the MLB marquee teams for our last two series. Otherwise the park would be empty given the way our year has gone.
07ag
AG
1. Game 5 of the 2017 World Series
2. Game 7 of the 2017 ALCS
https://ts.la/eric59704
Rudyjax
AG
South Platte said:

I Am Mine said:

South Platte said:

Better hurry. Fortunately MLB gave us two of the MLB marquee teams for our last two series. Otherwise the park would be empty given the way our year has gone.

I used to love the game so much I wouldn't care who was playing how good/bad they were.

Now I really don't even want to watch the game.
Scrap Iron Ag
AG
Nolan Ryan's 5th no-hitter, September 26, 1981.

Thank you again, Terry Puhl, for that no-hitter-saving catch in right field in the 7th inning.
JABQ04
AG
Jealous of all you guys who saw Game 5 live.

My best live was Game 2 2017 ALCS.
Rudyjax
AG
Who won game 5 2017? I can look it up but don't care enough to.
Panama Red
AG
I Am Mine said:

The Bears
Rudyjax
AG
Panama Red said:

I Am Mine said:

The Bears

I thought they beat Cle in 7.
8T2
1. 2017 ALCS Game 2 vs. Yankees

2. Mike Scott's no-hit clincher in 1986

3. Nolan Ryan's 7th no-hitter. This is admittedly a distant 3rd.
tjack16
AG
I don't know about "best games" ... but here are my most fun

1. Game 6 of the ALCS - 2017
2. Marwin Grand slam game against Texas - 2017
3. The series in St. Louis this year (first out of state MLB road trip)
4. Jeff Kent walkoff 2004 .... I was 11 so I don't remember it too vividly but it was my first and only playoff game until 2017
5. Fiers no hitter 2015
6. 2017 AL West clinch ... JV at mmp debut
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Game 5 WS 2017
Game 4 NLDS 2005
Game 3 WS 2005

Mr.Ackar07
Game 7 2017 ALCS
Game 3 2017 World Series
Game 1 2017 ALDS (Altuve 3-homer game)
Game 6 2017 ALCS
Mathguy64
AG
The day Big John broke the sips. Not a pro game but it was damn nice. And it was a two-fer.
Rudyjax
AG
Maybe I should have clarified that I didn't mean an important game.

This was a random late summer game.

There was no way to know there was more 1 futur HoF playing in that game.

Big Bucks
AG
Nolan's 5th no-hitter as a kid in 1981. Can still remember the older man on row in front of us turning around and telling me to pay attention because I was about to witness history.
And Game 4 of 2005 NLDS. The Everett-Brumlett double play turn to end the game may be best 6-4-3 I have ever seen.
agproducer
AG
Game 5 of the World Series. It is hands down the best single sporting event I've ever attended.

I wish I could bottle that game and all the feelings that came with it from the despair of falling behind early, to the excitement of catching up, to the disappointment of losing it again and then the final walk off.

I went to the game alone, but I happened to be sitting right next to a fellow Ag and his buddy, just by chance. What an experience!
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
1986 Astros 9, Mets 8 in 15 innings in mid-July.

Bottom of the 15th, bases loaded, 1 out, Kevin Bass suicide squeeze bunt, Billy Doran scores the winning run. That as on a Sunday afternoon. The night before, Stros beat the Mets 5-4 on a walkoff home run in the bottom of the ninth by Craig Reynolds, which is the equivalent of saying the modern-day Astros won a game when Chirinos stole second, third, and home on consecutive pitches.

I looked up the box score on Baseball-Reference. The Expos came to town after my game, and the Astros won three more in a row on walkoffs (5 straight total).

8-7 on RBI singles in the bottom of the ninth by Glenn Davis and Jose Cruz
1-0 on a 10th inning jack by Davis
4-3 on an 11th inning single by Davey Lopes to score Dickie Thon.

I love the current Astros like everyone else - even though I'm old enough to be the dad of half of them - but if you were a kid in the 1980s, those 1986 Astros were the team you'd give just about anything to have had them get to Game 7 of the NLCS with Scotty on the mound.

The Milkman
AG
1. 2004 NLCS Game 4. The Jeff Kent walkoff. I was sitting first row on the visitor dugout as a high school senior. That was amazing. Sadly we of course lost games 6-7 in St Louis.

2. 2017 ALCS Game 7. No description needed.
ORAggieFan
1995 Wild Card round. Seattle vs NYY. Seattle down 0-2 with three games in Seattle coming up and The Big Unit on the mound. The day before I turn 16. M's win and end up winning 3 in a row and beating the Yankees. Game 3 was their first ever post season win. Most memorable sports weekend of my life.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Scrap Iron Ag said:

Thank you again, Terry Puhl, for that no-hitter-saving catch in right field in the 7th inning.
Came here to say this.

What's funny to me, looking back on it now, was that Dad and I were tossing out ideas for something to do that Saturday, and I nonchalantly suggested the Astros game. Still have the ticket stubs.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

but if you were a kid in the 1980s, those 1986 Astros were the team you'd give just about anything to have had them get to Game 7 of the NLCS with Scotty on the mound.
I was in my second year at A&M. I left my apartment after the first inning of Game 6 with the Astros up 3-0, hopped on the bus to go to campus with my Walkman radio in my pocket. Sat through an accounting class. By the time class was done, I listened to the unsettling late-game actionon the bus ride home, and by the time I walked through my front door, the Mets had tied it up at 3 apiece. That Billy Hatcher HR in extra innings was at the same time magnificent and maddening, as no one was on base when he cranked that shot. And then that weak ass swing at what would have been ball 4 by Kevin Bass ... no doubt in my mind the Astros go to the Series had they made it to Game 7.
Scrap Iron Ag
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Scrap Iron Ag said:

Came here to say this.

What's funny to me, looking back on it now, was that Dad and I were tossing out ideas for something to do that Saturday, and I nonchalantly suggested the Astros game. Still have the ticket stubs.
I still have my ticket stub, too! Gold Level, Section 524, Row 18, Seat 5. Best $3 I've ever spent.
Pahdz
Definitely not some hugely important game, but Friday April 16, 2004 was a game I'll always remember as peak Roy Oswalt (not his career peak per se, but the epitome of his pitching style and talent).

Roy O throws a 3 hit shutout, strikes out 10 and walks none in 1 hour and 58 minutes. We were out in the center field bar area the entire game and when the last batter came up and it was barely 9pm we couldn't believe it.
Waffle11
AG
Biggio's 3000th
Biggio's final game
Game 2, 2017 ALCS

Saw Bonds tie McGwire in 2001
oldschool87
AG
I was at the ball park in Arlington to watch Jimmy Morris from the Devil Rays pitch that night... IE the movie "The Rookie".

Game 3 of the Astros World Series, first World Series win at home, ever!

Game 4? World Series Rangers, when Cruz went yard to win it.

BeowulfShaeffer
AG
I don't know about it being the "best MLB game", but I saw Hank Aaron hit #717 at the Dome. It was his first "road" homer after hitting 715 & 716 in Atlanta vs. the Dodgers, and it came 10 days after 716. He got a standing ovation in Houston, too, even though he just gave Atlanta the lead. He pretty much received ovations for all his "road" homers for the rest of the season.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Game 5
Rudyjax
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Game 5

I don't know what that means. There is a game 5 every year multiple times.
safety guy
AG
Saw games 4 and 5 of Astros - Phillies 1980. Great games. Horrible results. Aggies played uh in between in middle of night. Another horrible result.
Saw game 6 of Astros- Mets 1986. Great game. Horrible result.
Saw Ryan vs Clemens 1989. Rangers won 2 - 1 on a Palmeiro hr in the 8th.
Saw the Biggio 3000 hit game. My kid was introduced on the field before the game. Biggio got 5 hits. Astros won on a walk off grand slam by Carlos Lee.
Agnzona
Nolan's first Astros game and he hit a home run and Dickie Thons beaner are the ones that really stick out.
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
Philip J Fry
AG
1998. The only game we won against the Padres in the post season.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.