Make your picks: MLB Awards for 2019

3,529 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JamesBREI06
Big Shooter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
With the final month of the season underway, there is definitely a shortlist as to who could possibly win the MVPs, Cy Youngs and Rookie of the Year awards in 2019. Some of them are locked up, others still up for grabs. Who do you got???

I'll start:
NL MVP: Cody Bellinger
NL Cy Young: Hyun-Jin Ryu
NL Rookie of the Year: Pete Alonso (unanimous)

AL MVP: Mike Trout (unanimous)
AL Cy Young: Verlander (unanimous)
AL Rookie of the Year: Yordan Alvarez
astros4545
AG
Richard Zane said:

With the final month of the season underway, there is definitely a shortlist as to who could possibly win the MVPs, Cy Youngs and Rookie of the Year awards in 2019. Some of them are locked up, others still up for grabs. Who do you got???

I'll start:
NL Rookie of the Year: Pete Alonso (unanimous)

AL MVP: Mike Trout (unanimous)

Alvarez is by far the most likely unanimous winner
The Milkman
AG
With Trouts average being down this year I bet he doesn't win that unanimously. He'll still win it though.

Otherwise I agree on every single pick. If the Brewers were as good as I thought they'd be Yelich would be much closer to Bellinger.

Lots of one horse races.
Big Shooter
Staff
AG
I just can't think of another AL candidate for MVP this year. Who would be the one to steal votes?

For me, Bellinger gets the nod over Yelich because his defense is THAT much better. Similar years at the plate but Bellinger is top five in defensive runs saved.
Big Shooter
Staff
AG
I was just thinking some writer out there wouldn't vote for him because he didn't play a third of the season, that's why I don't think it'll be unanimous. You know how we writers are sometimes
Ag_07
AG
Richard Zane said:

I just can't think of another AL candidate for MVP this year. Who would be the one to steal votes?

Verlander
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Richard Zane said:

I was just thinking some writer out there wouldn't vote for him because he didn't play a third of the season, that's why I don't think it'll be unanimous. You know how we writers are sometimes
Farmer1906
AG
Richard Zane said:

For me, Bellinger gets the nod over Yelich because his defense is THAT much better. Similar years at the plate but Bellinger is top five in defensive runs saved.
#2 would be Bregman. I don't think he'll steal many votes, if any.

#2 in WAR
#3 in wRC+ (Cruz at 2 aint stealing an MVP vote)
#3 in OPS (again Cruz at 2 wouldn't get a vote)
#7 RBI
#4 Runs (1 of 4 guys with 100 R & 100 RBI)
Farmer1906
AG
Richard Zane said:

I'll start:
NL Rookie of the Year: Pete Alonso

AL MVP: Mike Trout
AL Cy Young: Verlander
This seems like the clear cut favorites.

Cole has a shot at Cy and Yelich has a shot at the MVP.
AgFan1999
AG
Yelich missing most of the last month of the season hurts his chances a bit.
Farmer1906
AG
He's toast.

Rendon is making a move, but I don't think he'll get it.
Big Shooter
Staff
AG
I think at this point, Bellinger has it locked up even though he's been struggling as of late. Certainly not what I want to see as a Dodger fan with October just around the corner...
tjack16
AG

AL MVP: Mike Trout (unless Bregman makes an insane push this week/weekend)
AL Cy Young: Verlander
AL Rookie of the Year: Yordan Alvarez (unanimous)
MelvinUdall
tjholley16 said:

AL MVP: Mike Trout (unless Bregman makes an insane push this week/weekend)

No way Verlander is unanimous, Cole is going to get some first place votes.
tjack16
AG
My bad I meant to put the unanimous by Alvarez (edit)

I actually contemplated putting Cole
Big Shooter
Staff
AG
I think Verlander might receive more MVP votes than Bregman. Still think Trout has it wrapped up, even with the injury.
MelvinUdall
tjholley16 said:

My bad I meant to put the unanimous by Alvarez (edit)

I actually contemplated putting Cole

Got ya! Should be interesting next couple of starts for both given they are both Cy Young candidates.
Mort Rainey
Trout might actually lose the mvp race now. If he does, I won't even know what to say
Big Shooter
Staff
AG
I think Trout might lose to Verlander. I do think Trout will win MVP, but it is possible that he loses to JV. It's crazy but Verlander might win both considering how far out of contention for the division and wild card LAA is...
Harry Stone
AG
Mabel Choate said:

Trout might actually lose the mvp race now. If he does, I won't even know what to say

he shouldnt. he is the best player but not mvp. players on teams ending up 18 games below .500 shouldnt be considered.
BMX Bandit
Richard Zane said:

I think Trout might lose to Verlander. I do think Trout will win MVP, but it is possible that he loses to JV. It's crazy but Verlander might win both considering how far out of contention for the division and wild card LAA is...

Verlander isn't winning the MVP. Right team though.

Cole should be Cy Young
ATM9000
AG
Realize OP made his post a month ago... but I sort of think Cole gets the Cy Young and for sure the only unanimous thing will be all the 1st and 2nd place votes are going to Cole and Verlander.
Farmer1906
AG
ATM9000 said:

Realize OP made his post a month ago... but I sort of think Cole gets the Cy Young and for sure the only unanimous thing will be all the 1st and 2nd place votes are going to Cole and Verlander.

I bet some local guy gives a top 2 vote to CFM, Lynn, or Bieber.
CreedBratton
Whichever Astro who ends up winning the Cy Young should be given the MVP instead, and the runner-up should be given the Cy Young

Unless Bregs gets enough MVP votes to beat Trout. In which case, Bregs gets MVP and we have Co-Cy Young winners.

#AstroTakeover
Unemployed
AG
Verlander and Cole's stats are pretty similar.

I'm giving the edge to Verlander because he got that no-hitter. And he was more consistent throughout the year. Cole had a stretch early in the season when he struggled.
94chem
I'll take Strasburg for NL Cy Young.
94chem
BMX Bandit said:

Richard Zane said:

Cole should be Cy Young
326 K in 212 IP for Cole. That's just crazy. So is Verlander's 300 in 221 IP. To put that in perspective, about 15 - 20 years ago I heard that Randy Johnson and Nolan Ryan were the only members of the 3000K club, and maybe the only qualified pitchers of all-time, to average more than 1K per inning. Yet, here we have 2 guys on the same staff averaging 1.36 and 1.54.

Clearly, the game has changed, but I'd like to see where Cole and Verlander rank against league average K/IP, versus where Johnson and Ryan were 20 - 30 years ago.

Mathguy64
AG
94chem said:

BMX Bandit said:

Richard Zane said:

Cole should be Cy Young
326 K in 212 IP for Cole. That's just crazy. So is Verlander's 300 in 221 IP. To put that in perspective, about 15 - 20 years ago I heard that Randy Johnson and Nolan Ryan were the only members of the 3000K club, and maybe the only qualified pitchers of all-time, to average more than 1K per inning. Yet, here we have 2 guys on the same staff averaging 1.36 and 1.54.

Clearly, the game has changed, but I'd like to see where Cole and Verlander rank against league average K/IP, versus where Johnson and Ryan were 20 - 30 years ago.

In 2001 RJ was more extreme compared to the league. In 2001 RJ had a K/9+ of 192. This year Cole is at 157.

Nolan owns 7 of the top 10 all time K/+ seasons, including 5 of the top 6. 73,76,77,,78,79,89 and 94. His top 2 are at 220. So 120% better than league average.
Farmer1906
AG
94chem said:

BMX Bandit said:

Richard Zane said:

Cole should be Cy Young

From 1960 on, sorted by k/9

94chem
Farmer1906 said:

94chem said:

BMX Bandit said:

Richard Zane said:

Cole should be Cy Young

From 1960 on, sorted by k/9

Pedro Martinez and Kerry Wood are the only 2 players to make the list pre-2000, other than Nolan and Randy.

Entry #30, Nolan Ryan, is comical. At the time he became the only pitcher in history to lead the league in ERA and strikeouts and not win the Cy Young. He was 8 - 16. Probably should have won it anyway.
South Platte
CreedBratton said:

Whichever Astro who ends up winning the Cy Young should be given the MVP instead, and the runner-up should be given the Cy Young

Unless Bregs gets enough MVP votes to beat Trout. In which case, Bregs gets MVP and we have Co-Cy Young winners.

#AstroTakeover
This is actually spot on. Verlander MVP, Cole Cy Young, Alvarez ROY.

W
AG
Bregman punched the clock 22 more times than Trout.

MVP to AB
South Platte
The Angels were not good. Awesome Trout stats only prevented them from being Detroit bad.
JamesBREI06
AG
Interested to see if Bregman takes it after end of season tear
Whoop!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.