Where were you on this day in 1993?

1,632 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by McInnis
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Just imagine how much **** Ventura took the rest of his career for this.

As a lifetime Houston Astros fan, it was pure misery to watch Nolan leave after the 1988 season when the Astros let him walk, too cheap to give him 2 years at $1.2 m a year. . He only went 16-10 with 301 strikeouts the next year, while the Astros picked up Jim Clancy, who went 5-14.

Before the 1994 strike, my parents were huge baseball fans. We got fantastic seats - front row over the dugout - for a game in 1992 when yours truly won a high school sportswriting contest and got to throw out the first pitch at a game. When I got back to the seats and was showing my parents the ball (autographed by non-Hall of Famer Scott Servais), my dad said "Good thing you didn't get Clancy's signature, I would have thrown this ball in the trash."

5 seconds later someone moves to the top of the steps of the dugout (recall the Dome didnt have a bullpen) and Clancy himself is staring up into the front row trying to figure out who said it. My dad shrugs and says "Just being honest, buddy."
tjack16
AG
I was about 2 months from being born.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I was in Winslow, NE visiting my cousins when my cousin hollered me in from the other room to come and see. It must have actually been on the national nightly news the next day when I saw it.
McInnis
AG
I watched the video and noticed something kind of scary - Bo Jackson was on the field in the middle of the post-fight melee. Good thing nobody pissed him off.

Nolan didn't like to talk about that much but I did hear him say in an interview that years before he had hit Dave Winfield who charged the mound and he vowed he would be ready if it happened again.
Front Range Ag
AG
I was in the stands on the 1st base side.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I'm pretty sure Dave Winfield is a guy I wouldn't want to mess with.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

I'm pretty sure Dave Winfield is a guy I wouldn't want to mess with.
The pinnacle of fashion in sports.

McInnis
AG
Dang, Winfield carried the bat to the mound and Nolan still didn't back away.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.