RIP Jim Bouton

1,480 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Hamburger Dan
dshedd41
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Gig’em Aggies!
dshedd41
S
My college professor recommended his book Ball Four when I was in school,
so I bought it, have yet to read it
https://instagr.am/p/nej6kdKAA2
Gig’em Aggies!
Scrap Iron Ag
AG
Rest In Peace, Jim. I read Ball Four from beginning to end many, many times.

I had the great pleasure of talking with Gary Bell from that Seattle Pilots team some years ago. Gary told me not to believe everything I read in that book, but he did confirm one of my favorite stories from the book to be true. From the book:

The meeting before the game was marvelous. When we went over the hitters, Gary Bell had the same comment on each one: "Smoke him inside" (fastball inside). Frank Howard, McMullen, Brinkman, Epstein - every hitter. "Smoke him inside," said Gary Bell.

It got to be funny as hell after a while, because not only did he get no opposition, but he was taken seriously. According to the gospel of Gary Bell you pitch to the entire Washington team by smoking them inside.

When the meeting was over Aker asked Gary Bell what he thought about it all and he said, "Smoke him inside." Gary Bell is a beautiful man.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Great book. Every baseball fan should read it.
Coog97
Disagree with USA Today's assertion that the book painted Whitey and Mickey "in an unfavorable light."
dshedd41
S
Here's another obituary by The New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/10/sports/baseball/jim-bouton-dead-ball-four.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share
Gig’em Aggies!
75AG
AG
Pick it up and read it. Very tame by today's standards.
Hamburger Dan
I've been in the wilds of Wyoming/ South Dakota the last 8 days, I did not know about this. Ball Four was the first " adult type" book I read. Growing up in the late 60's / early 70's, I thought that book was fairly racy. Bouton and his book was a great read.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.