Rays exploring splitting home games between St. Petersburg and Montreal

1,465 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Hey...so.. um
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://sports.yahoo.com/rays-considering-playing-montreal-174259510.html

Quote:

The Tampa Bay Rays are exploring the option of playing early-season home games in Florida, and the remainder of the year in Montreal, Yahoo Sports' Hannah Keyser has confirmed.

The plan is still in its early stages, but the Rays have embraced this idea as a solution to saving baseball in the Tampa area, according to ESPN's Jeff Passan.

Per Passan, the team would play in new stadiums in each city, although the exact number of games in each location is not confirmed. Canadian businessperson Stephen Bronfman, whose father was the original owner of the Expos, recently reached an agreement with a developer to potentially build a new stadium in the Montreal area.

It is unclear what the team would be called, or where playoff games would be held.

Tampa Bay has struggled to draw fans to Tropicana Field for years, and currently ranks second-lowest in average attendance despite the Rays owning a 43-31 record in 2019.

Montreal hasn't had a local baseball team since the Expos moved to Washington prior to the 2005 season. The city has hosted Toronto Blue Jays exhibition games in each of the past six years.

The proposal likely wouldn't take effect until approximately 2023, as the team must be granted permission to move from the city of St. Petersburg, according to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times. Other hurdles include approval from the players union, scheduling logistics, and negotiating television rights.

A baseball team splitting time between two locations isn't completely unprecedented, with the Expos having played 22 home games in Puerto Rico in 2003.
PacifistAg
AG
Heck, just move them to Montreal instead of that. Why would fans in Tampa ever attend a Rays game (granted, they already don't) if they will never be able to watch a pennant chase during years that they're good? I think the better route is to just realize that baseball has been a flop in Tampa and move them somewhere more stable. I'd much rather see a team in either Nashville, Portland, or New Orleans.
Ag13
AG
This is so silly. I doubt it happens, but guess we'll see.
wbt5845
AG
I'd love for them to move to Nashville. I'd make that trip every year.
Ag13
AG
wbt5845 said:

I'd love for them to move to Nashville. I'd make that trip every year.
Nashville or Vegas would be awesome road game spots. Might end up with more opposing fans there on weekends more often than not.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
You would have to have a domed stadium in Montreal. The snow doesn't melt until June.
PacifistAg
AG
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace said:

You would have to have a domed stadium in Montreal. The snow doesn't melt until June.
Obviously. As for Montreal, I just don't think it'll work there. Their 1994 team was 74-40 before the strike. They had players like Marquis Grissom, Moises Alou, Larry Walker, Pedro Martinez, Ken Hill, and John Wetteland, but they still only averaged 24,000 per game. If that couldn't save them, I don't know what could.
jja79
AG
The Expos played at outdoor Parc Jarry until Olympic Stadium was ready.
Tradertex56
Their lease on the Tampa stadium does not run out until 2027. They are positioning leverage early.
Seven Costanza
AG
I read that part of the idea is to build a cheap, outdoor stadium in Tampa. The Tampa stadium would be used in the cooler early and late months of the season while the Montreal stadium would be used in the middle, warmer months of the season.

Nobody cares, though. Just move the team to Portland.
Mr.Bond
AG
Where is Portland coming from? The logical choice is Nashville or Vegas..... And honestly no other close contender
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Hey...so.. um
Mr.Bond said:

Where is Portland coming from? The logical choice is Nashville or Vegas..... And honestly no other close contender

Vegas!!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.