Umpire statement

4,262 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by _lefraud_
PacifistAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The apparently violent "bump":

The umpire union statement:

First, I don't see where this "bump" allegedly takes place. Second, this tweet should make player tweeting about the umpires fair game. Third, Joe West and Angel Hernandez.
PacifistAg
AG
More from the union on facebook:

The Lost
Quote:

You should work on your reading skills... the things you quoted literally say violently throwing his bat.

I didn't see the bump either, but I have no problem with him being suspended one game for the tantrum.

Unions are gonna union and stand up for their guys. If you go and do that to your boss, you're gonna get fired.

About the only positive of what he did would be they could eventually go towards robotic strike zones, but again have fun with the union on that one.
Beat40
The good thing is there is video evidence. I don't really see him touch the Ump. If he did, it was barely anything. Also, throwing the bat is childish, but he definitely looks where he is throwing it before he throws it.

I've never seen an Umpire suspended for jawing right back at players and managers or have penalty taken against them when they make egregious calls / go on power trips.

I feel like the only thing Manny shouldn't have done was thrown the bat.

I do also wonder what was said to the Ump.
PacifistAg
AG
The Lost said:

Quote:

You should work on your reading skills... the things you quoted literally say violently throwing his bat.

I didn't see the bump either, but I have no problem with him being suspended one game for the tantrum.

Unions are gonna union and stand up for their guys. If you go and do that to your boss, you're gonna get fired.

About the only positive of what he did would be they could eventually go towards robotic strike zones, but again have fun with the union on that one.
Yes, I'm aware they refer to him violently throwing the bat. Then they say "It is NOT okay to throw a temper tantrum and physically touch someone of authority, just because you don't agree. Violence in all workplaces is not tolerated." which refers to him physically touching someone, and then in the next sentence refers to "violence in the workplace".

Also, the umps aren't his boss, so that analogy doesn't really work. He'd be fired if he actually engaged his boss like that. They may be in a position of authority because they officiate the game, but they aren't his boss. Of course robotic strike zones would never be approved by the unions. It's about job justification to them. They'd garner a shred of sympathy if they ever held their own accountable.
PacifistAg
AG
Yes, definitely childish to throw the bat. Agreed that it appears he did so in a way that wouldn't risk hitting someone. 1 game suspension for that is fine. The union throwing a social media tantrum is laughable though.
PatAg
AG
I look forward to the players union putting umpires on blast for how they behave in game
PacifistAg
AG
Imagine if a player grabbed Joe West like this. It would certainly be far more than a 1 game suspension.

TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

Yes, I'm aware they refer to him violently throwing the bat. Then they say "It is NOT okay to throw a temper tantrum and physically touch someone of authority, just because you don't agree. Violence in all workplaces is not tolerated." which refers to him physically touching someone, and then in the next sentence refers to "violence in the workplace".

Also, the umps aren't his boss, so that analogy doesn't really work. He'd be fired if he actually engaged his boss like that. They may be in a position of authority because they officiate the game, but they aren't his boss. Of course robotic strike zones would never be approved by the unions. It's about job justification to them. They'd garner a shred of sympathy if they ever held their own accountable.
You're trying too hard.

And change it to "you'd be fired if you acted like that around an authority figure at the workplace..." and the same point would be made.
PatAg
AG
Both the umpires and players would all be fired for how they act and behave in game, so that's a stupid argument anyways.
PacifistAg
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Quote:

You're trying too hard.

And change it to "you'd be fired if you acted like that around an authority figure at the workplace..." and the same point would be made.
Trying too hard to what? The ump union statement is ridiculous. I don't need to do anything about that.

Also, if I threw a fastball at a coworker's ribs, I'd be put in jail. If I started violently punching a coworker in the face, like a hockey player, I'd be put in jail. Can we agree that not all jobs have the same general guidelines of what's "acceptable" or not, especially when it comes to sports? Heck, I used to be an infantry sergeant. If I talked to my staff now the way I talked to some Private, I'd be fired in a heartbeat.
PacifistAg
AG
PatAg said:

Both the umpires and players would all be fired for how they act and behave in game, so that's a stupid argument anyways.
Agreed.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

Trying too hard to what? The ump union statement is ridiculous. I don't need to do anything about that.

Also, if I threw a fastball at a coworker's ribs, I'd be put in jail. If I started violently punching a coworker in the face, like a hockey player, I'd be put in jail. Can we agree that not all jobs have the same general guidelines of what's "acceptable" or not, especially when it comes to sports? Heck, I used to be an infantry sergeant. If I talked to my staff now the way I talked to some Private, I'd be fired in a heartbeat.
Sure.

Working in "violent bump" and arguing about boss/authority was trying too hard.
PacifistAg
AG
MLB response to ump statement:

PacifistAg
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Quote:

Sure.

Working in "violent bump" and arguing about boss/authority was trying too hard.
Oh, well that seems like a stretch for "trying too hard", especially when the boss/authority thing was a response to a flawed analogy someone else used. Now the ump statement certainly would fit that mold of "trying too hard".
TXAggie2011
AG
Calling the umpires the "bosses" probably isn't flawed. But you called them "authority" so I suggested the point is the same even if you use "authority" in place of "boss." Oh, nevermind.
Agnzona
They day MLB has no umpires will be a great day. Tech can completely and seamlessly replace them now. Only they and their Union thinks they are important.

MLB should ask for a 50% pay cut and when they refuse replace them all with a laptop.
alvtimes
Machado acted like a little *****
Bregxit
AG
Love Torre's statement!

And if the umps thought THAT was workplace violence...they ain't seen *****..

PatAg
AG
Alvarado Times said:

Machado acted like a little *****
also true
PatAg
AG
dlance said:

Love Torre's statement!

That's how central americans behave with soccer refs too. Where the hell was the security team. I thought that dude in the hoodie was about to stab him in the back, definitely wasnt the first time he stalked someone like that.
Mike Elko
AG
dlance said:

Love Torre's statement!

Another Machado acting like a little ***** in this video, too.
CampingAg
AG
This is about Machado's 30th offense, including multiple times of intentionally trying to injure a player (and one bat-throwing incident already). He should've gotten 3-4 IMHO. Umpire's response was also weak. Both parties involved are idiots.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
We need a robot to call balls and strikes. Joe West and Angel Hernandez are completely incapable of being a) competent, and b) impartial.

The umpires in MLB continue to ruin the game and make it all about them. And the gutless Commissioner of Baseball is letting it happen on his watch.
Lance Uppercut
AG
He shouldn't have bumped the umpire, or gone to get in his face.

The umpires statement seemed weak. Just dole out the punishment and move on.

During the past couple of years, the umpires have made a bigger deal about being disrespected. Though part of it is obviously what anyone would prefer, I think they're grasping at an attempt to bolster their authority and protect themselves as their botched calls are no longer a part of the game that has to be accepted since the use of replay entered the game.
wbt5845
AG
I used to be against an automated strike zone, but I'm coming over to liking the idea. Takes all subjectivity out of it.
PatAg
AG
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace said:

We need a robot to call balls and strikes. Joe West and Angel Hernandez are completely incapable of being a) competent, and b) impartial.

The umpires in MLB continue to ruin the game and make it all about them. And the gutless Commissioner of Baseball is letting it happen on his watch.
umpires in MLB are definitely the worst about it of all the major sports
WES2006AG
AG
PatAg said:

Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace said:

umpires in MLB are definitely the worst about it of all the major sports
You must not watch much NBA basketball.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Can't wait for Robot umpires. And umpires are more like janitors or the guy that schedules conference rooms than authority figures
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
The NBA is the worst of team sports. You are correct, I don't watch.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I wonder if they will hard code in an advantage for the Yankees and BoSox into the robots
91AggieLawyer
AG
wbt5845 said:

I used to be against an automated strike zone, but I'm coming over to liking the idea. Takes all subjectivity out of it.

No, it doesn't. At least, not the close ones. It just shifts the blame away from the humans to whoever programmed the system. It will be said that MLB is favoring one team or one player and will start all sorts of conspiracy theories. In practice, it will probably be the worst thing that ever hit sports.

The best umpires/officials are the ones working the OTHER game.
_lefraud_
AG
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27164197/robot-umpires-debut-atlantic-league-asg
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.