How to stream live Astros games living in their local blackout area

2,003 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by The Lost
Burn-It
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cross posted from Houston board

Just switched from Xfinity to youtubetv and discovered that they don't have the channel that carries the Astros. Looked at buying a subscription on MLB, but it says Astros are blacked out for live games in my area. So wtf is one to do in order to stream live Astros games when you live in Houston?
AKA 13-0
agproducer
AG
Several people will tell you to stream MLB streams on Reddit for free.

I use my MLB.tv subscription because I like to watch the game on a TV and I like the features MLB.tv provides.

But, to get it to work, you need a Smart DNS service for your home network. I use overplay.net. It costs about $5 a month. There are instructions online on how to set it up.

You can also do it using a VPN, but I found streaming it that way was choppy.
redline248
AG
So you basically have the smart dns "lie" to the broadcast about your location, b/c mlb.tv still would black you out?
agproducer
AG
redline248 said:

So you basically have the smart dns "lie" to the broadcast about your location, b/c mlb.tv still would black you out?

The Smart DNS masks your location for privacy purposes like a VPN. It enables you to avoid the blackout.
The Lost
agproducer said:

redline248 said:

The Smart DNS masks your location for privacy purposes like a VPN. It enables you to avoid the blackout.
This is what i do to watch rockies game in colorado. I have mlb.tv to watch the astros, but try to follow the rockies some too since they're the locals and we have a miniplan.
redline248
AG
The Lost said:

agproducer said:

redline248 said:

This is what i do to watch rockies game in colorado. I have mlb.tv to watch the astros, but try to follow the rockies some too since they're the locals and we have a miniplan.

I find this funny, since I can watch all the rockies games on dish network, but no Astros.
The Lost
redline248 said:

The Lost said:

agproducer said:

redline248 said:

I find this funny, since I can watch all the rockies games on dish network, but no Astros.
haha, i dont suggest it unless you watch the visiting teams broadcast. I have learned the rockies easily have the worst broadcast team of any the teams i have watched randomly on mlb.tv, which is most the western divisions of both leagues.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.