Bill Buckner has died

2,205 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by kb2001
johnnyblaze36
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The '86 Mets are my favorite baseball team of all time and Buckner's story is an all-around sad one. It doesn't seem like he could have been 69 years old but time really does fly. RIP.

https://nypost.com/2019/05/27/bill-buckner-red-sox-icon-entrenched-in-baseball-history-dead-at-69/?utm_medium=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPTwitter&utm_campaign=SocialFlow&__twitter_impression=true&__twitter_impression=true
johnnyblaze36
AG
This is quite impressive.

McInnis
AG
I remember reading that his wife said she was asked many times if he had considered suicide after the 1986 World Series. Unbelievable. RIP Mr. Buckner.
AggieCrew2002
I think Buckner error is very overrated and here is why. Red Sox had a 5-4 lead with 2 outs. Mets had a runner on 3rd. Boston pitcher Bob Stanley should be the one that got the blame, he threw a wild pitch that gave up the lead. Had that not happen they may have won.

So when Buckner gaffed the slow grounder the game was tied at 5, yes had he covered the grounder he would have gotten the 3rd out and game would still be tied going to the 11th inning buts it's not like his error was the back breaking moment that everyone has made it out to be for the last 33 years.
AggieCrew2002
You have to think all that stress and guilt is what caused Buckner to die at a relatively young age with dementia
HTownAg98

W
AG
yes, that's what gets misremembered.

people think the Red Sox would have won the world series right then and there on the ground ball. They forget the game was tied
W
AG
Buckner had incredibly low strike out numbers...and walk numbers
Know Your Enemy
AG
He was one of my favorite Cubs as a kid. So incredibly hard to strike out.
johnnyblaze36
AG
AggieCrew2002 said:

I think Buckner error is very overrated and here is why. Red Sox had a 5-4 lead with 2 outs. Mets had a runner on 3rd. Boston pitcher Bob Stanley should be the one that got the blame, he threw a wild pitch that gave up the lead. Had that not happen they may have won.

So when Buckner gaffed the slow grounder the game was tied at 5, yes had he covered the grounder he would have gotten the 3rd out and game would still be tied going to the 11th inning buts it's not like his error was the back breaking moment that everyone has made it out to be for the last 33 years.
This is correct. If y'all want to revisit the events that led up to it this video is really cool. I think for some reason most people have this memory that if Buckner scoops the ball up and touches first then the Red Sox win the World Series.

It's not like he pulled a Nelson Cruz.

Bonfired
AG
Always felt like he never got his due as a really good player, and his was a career of almosts....almost a HoFer (2700+ hits), almost a World Series champion. That disease that claimed his life is a nasty one. It's the one Robin Williams was diagnosed with shortly before he committed suicide.

Hope the flip side is kinder to you, Bill.
redline248
AG
Didn't the Mets also have to win the next game after the infamous error? Or was it that the Red Sox would have forced an extra game?
Bonfired
AG
redline248 said:

Didn't the Mets also have to win the next game after the infamous error? Or was it that the Red Sox would have forced an extra game?

Red Sox were up 3-2 in the series, so you are correct. And, as others have pointed out, if he makes the play, the game is still just tied. Many other players, and manager John McNamara, had a hand in that collapse. Buckner's error was just the final nail in Game 6's coffin for Boston.
Joe Cole
Dave Stapleton (normal defensive 1B) was not used as the manager wanted BB to experience the win

reminds me how Wash left defensive outfielders Endy Chavez sitting on bench so Cruz could be on the field for final out...
Corporal Punishment
AG
Bonfired said:

redline248 said:

Red Sox were up 3-2 in the series, so you are correct. And, as others have pointed out, if he makes the play, the game is still just tied. Many other players, and manager John McNamara, had a hand in that collapse. Buckner's error was just the final nail in Game 6's coffin for Boston.
Even in Game 7, Boston had an early lead in the game. Sox lead 3-0 after five innings. Wacky postseason on both sides of the league. If not for the heroics of Dave Henderson, down to his last strike in game 5 when he homered, Boston would've been sent home and folks would remember names like Doug DeCinces (criminal), Donnie Moore (murder/suicide), and Brian Downing (rancher/biker in Celina, TX). 2 Out of respect for our fellow Astros fans, I won't discuss their heartbreaking series against the Mets.

That postseason set the standard for me as a baseball fan. Gripping drama in all three series.
kb2001
AG
Buckner's gaffe was a part of the collapse, certainly not the only part of it. He is remembered as the one because it was a visible play that ended the game, the papers were all over him, the fans were all over him for two decades. Much in the same way Bartman got blamed for the Cubs collapse against the Marlins, even though a lot more went wrong than one missed out. His name was the headline the next day, the fans ran him out of town.

It isn't fair, and it's mostly not true, but that's the way it works sometimes. It's a real shame for Buckner because he was a better than average player for a long time.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.