2 MLB Clubs in Metroplex?

11,655 Views | 104 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Harry Dunne
Beau Bevers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://tht.fangraphs.com/a-texas-two-step-at-the-expansion-dance/

There is a zero percent chance the Rangers would grant permission for this, right?
Canyon99
San Antonio would be a much better Texas location for expansion.
diehard03
I don't think the Rangers would care. See Chicago.
TXAggie2011
AG
diehard03 said:

I think they have no reason to not say "no." It wouldn't be helpful, at best, and could hurt them quite a bit.
Beau Bevers
AG
diehard03 said:

I think if the White Sox were moving to Chicago in 2019 and not 1900, the Cubs would have said "no."

No way the Rangers would be ok with a new franchise in Collin County (the presumed landing spot according to the article).
powerbelly
AG
I would buy season tickets if they put it near downtown dallas.
KT 90
AG
Beau Bevers said:

diehard03 said:

I think if the White Sox were moving to Chicago in 2019 and not 1900, the Cubs would have said "no."

No way the Rangers would be ok with a new franchise in Collin County (the presumed landing spot according to the article).

The Rangers would definitely be opposed to a 2nd team in the area. And both the Rangers and Astros would be opposed to a team in SA. Why would they give up that market (that they basically share currently) to an opposing team? They'd rather see a team show up in one of other potential cities looking for a new team.

diehard03
Quote:

As a public comment, maybe...but a lot of White Sox fans simply wouldn't be baseball fans if they didn't exist. I don't think it's correct to assume that every fan today would be a fan of the other team if the 2nd team didn't exist.
diehard03
Quote:

The Rangers would definitely be opposed to a 2nd team in the area. And both the Rangers and Astros would be opposed to a team in SA. Why would they give up that market (that they basically share currently) to an opposing team? They'd rather see a team show up in one of other potential cities looking for a new team.

Mlb shares much of what a team in SA or another team in Dallas would bring in anyway. There's not much to give up. I'm not totally sold that the average baseball fan will change his/her fandom on a dime because the stadium is that much closer.

I will give yall that stadium location/footprint aren't trivial considerations. I'm not well versed enough to say that the Rangers being near the Cowboys is a net benefit or not if there are 2 teams in play.

The other cities with 2 teams certainly have geographical differences that affect whether the teams pull from each other or not.
TXAggie2011
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

As a public comment, maybe...but a lot of White Sox fans simply wouldn't be baseball fans if they didn't exist. I don't think it's correct to assume that every fan today would be a fan of the other team if the 2nd team didn't exist.
Maybe so, and that might be the view of MLB HQ and other franchises, but its hard to imagine why the Rangers would be OK with it.

If there are untapped fans in Collin County, its in their interest to make them Rangers fans, its not in their interest to make them fans of another team...especially at risk of losing some of their existing fans.

Seven Costanza
AG
Somewhat misleading title of the thread.

The writer lays out a nice case for something that won't happen. It's almost like someone said "your assignment is to make an argument for a second team in DFW. Go!" And he knocked it out of the park.

Beau Bevers
AG
How is the thread title misleading? The writer lays out the improbable idea of 2 MLB clubs in the Metroplex.
(removed:110205)
Canyon99 said:

Do you think San Antonio and Austin could host one team? Put the stadium equidistant between them. Not sure what the team name would be
Mathguy64
AG
Sid said:

Canyon99 said:

Do you think San Antonio and Austin could host one team? Put the stadium equidistant between them. Not sure what the team name would be
The San Marcos Bobcats
Furlock Bones
AG
El Paso needs a team. People always forget El Paso.
expresswrittenconsent
Sid said:

Canyon99 said:

IMO, that seems like a way to draw poorly from both cities.
Mike Elko
AG
Furlock Bones said:

El Paso needs a team. People always forget El Paso.

Pass on The Pass.
HerschelwoodHardhead
AG
The Hill Country Briskets
AustinAg2K
As an Astros fan, I would be cool with a team in SA as long as it is a package deal to move the Astros back to the NL.

In all seriousness, though, if the MLB wants to expand it needs to look at Mexico City. I'm surprised neither the MLB or NFL has taken a serious look at Mexico. It may be a third world country, but there is still a lot of money there.
Beat40
AustinAg2K said:

As an Astros fan, I would be cool with a team in SA as long as it is a package deal to move the Astros back to the NL.

In all seriousness, though, if the MLB wants to expand it needs to look at Mexico City. I'm surprised neither the MLB or NFL has taken a serious look at Mexico. It may be a third world country, but there is still a lot of money there.

I've grown quite accustomed to the AL. The bigger issue is getting 3/5 of our division to NOT be on the west coast. That's something Astros and Rangers fans can agree on.
diehard03
Quote:

The bigger issue is getting 3/5 of our division to NOT be on the west coast. That's something Astros and Rangers fans can agree on.

I'm not sure how you solve this beyond making another fanbase suffer like you are.
Furlock Bones
AG
AustinAg2K said:

yea, ugh, no thanks. i was all against the AL move. but, now, it know. it's just better.
TMACsDaMan
All for moving the Stros back to the NL! The fights/games between Cards, Cubs, Reds, and Pirates were always more fun! The Brewers are the only thing that screwed this whole thing up in the first place. Who gives a ****e what Bud Selig thinks anyways.
Agnzona
Fort Worth getting a NHL team is more likely.
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
Seven Costanza
AG
Beau Bevers said:

How is the thread title misleading? The writer lays out the improbable idea of 2 MLB clubs in the Metroplex.

"Somewhat misleading" in that this is not something that is being considered by MLB, an ownership group, etc. in any way. If I saw a thread title that said "Babe Ruth removed from Hall of Fame?", I wouldn't expect a link to blog post where some random guy lays out a case for removing him from the HoF.

No big deal, though. It was a good article.
jkag89
And also keep in mind that the ChiSox were not an expansion team but a team of an independent upstart league.
Beau Bevers
AG
Your example is not close to what I posted. There is nothing in the title about MLB talking about expansion. You may have read into it something that wasn't there, but the title of the thread topic linking an article about a writer's thoughts on the plausibility of a 2nd MLB clubs in DFW was not misleading.
expresswrittenconsent
Beau Bevers said:

Your example is not close to what I posted. There is nothing in the title about MLB talking about expansion. You may have read into it something that wasn't there, but the title of the thread topic linking an article about a writer's thoughts on the plausibility of a 2nd MLB clubs in DFW was not misleading.

It was a ridiculous article, so he has a point. There's nothing wrong with it - it's a fun and harmless discussion but this is just like posting on the football or premium board a topic of "realignment coming again?" and then linking to some dumb fanboy blog buy a guy named purduesteve.
mazag08
AG
I like it how it is. A 3rd team would muddy the rivalry. I'd rather see teams in Nashville and either Charlotte or New Orleans. The south is highly underrepresented in MLB.
redline248
AG
I still don't understand why, when MLB realigned, they didn't just move the brewers back to the AL.

I've been ok with the move, but I wonder how many of us would hate it if they stuck Houston in the East.
expresswrittenconsent
Bud Selig didnt want that for his brewers is reason #1, and Crane taking a 30mil payoff to stay in the AL is reason 2.
Agnzona
I grew up a 100% a National League guy and hated the move. I now prefer it. Mainly getting to have a rivalry with Redsox and Yankees and even the Rangers. The game has changed so much that the strategy of NL ball that made it more interesting is mostly pointless.
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
BowSowy
AG
Selfishly, I would like to be in the NL because my wife is a dodgers fan and that World Series was fun for us. I also have quite a few coworkers who are cardinals and cubs fans, and i miss that rivalry. But I also like beating the rangers so often
mazag08
AG
So I read that a Nashville contingent postponed a meeting with the commissioner that was to be held recently. They apparently have a large portion of the funding to attract and MLB team and aim to make a strong case to be one of Manfred's two expansion cities.

It sounds like it will be between them, Charlotte, and Montreal on the eastern side.. and Portland, Vegas, and Vancouver on the western side.

But Manfred said nothing will be considered until he gets Oakland and Tampa new stadiums.. and he definitely doesn't want either to relocate.

I think this a 5 year down the road conversation, but I'm definitely pulling for Nashville and Portland.

If it were me, the final lay of the land would be..

AL West
Seattle
Portland
LAA
Oakland

NL West
SF
LAD
SD
Arizona

AL South
Texas
Houston
Colorado
KC

NL South
Tampa
Miami
Nashville
Atlanta

AL North
Minnesota
CHW
Cleveland
Detroit

NL North
CHC
St Louis
Milwaukee
Cincinnati

AL East
NYY
Boston
Baltimore
Toronto

NL East
NYM
Washington
Philly
Pittsburgh
monarch
S
Makes good sense to me MAZAG; therefore it won't happen.

As for SAT or AUS or something in between the two, SAT by itself won't get a team. The financial demographic is such that the NFL won't put a team in that city primarily because the amount of corp HQ's located there (yeah, I know Alamo dome isn't big enough or suitable for an NFL team but the real reason is the $$$). The AUS financial demographic is more favourable but if you were to build a new stadium in AUS where would you put it? Cant put it in RR as your main way to get there is I35 and that would be a nightmare.

Bottom line, don't think we'll see a team in that general area any time soon.
Peace for Ukraine!
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.