Next Astros HOFer

2,592 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Farmer1906
Coog97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My wife and I went to Cooperstown in 2017 to see Bagwell inducted into the HOF... figured it would be the last opportunity to see an Astro go in for quite some time, with Altuve likely being the next, best possibility. However...

Now that, barring injury or something else unforeseen, Verlander will be pitching here for 4+ seasons and possibly beyond, if the Astros were to win another title (or more... why not be greedy?) you gotta think there's a really good chance he chooses to go in as an Astro.
wangus12
AG
Well I don't see no Detroit Tigers championship ring
Prime0882
AG
Forgive my ignorance, but, I thought a few players went in the HOF with two primary caps. Or, one team was referenced in their plaque, but, they wore a different team's cap in their picture? I'm curious if Verlander may end up doing the same...
Coog97
They list all the teams (and years) each inductee played for on their plaques, but only the one hat on their likeness.
Kashchei
AG
It still chaps my hide that Nolan chose to go in with an Arlington cap
ChAg1799
AG
I still think he'll chose Detroit... Altuve is on a pace that will make him a HOF'er... I think he has the best shot at the next Astro in.
W
AG
if Harold Baines is in the Hall of Fame...then Lance Berkman should be. But I guess that's a discussion topic for another time.

Altuve is definitely on track for the Hall, but figuring he plays another 7 or 8 years...the earliest he would be inducted is 2033 or so. That's a long time away
agproducer
AG
I think Verlander's longevity in Detroit may trump additional titles in Houston.

Now, if he wins a Cy Young with the Astros and another WS, I'd say there is a case to be made that he pitched better with the Astros than he did with the Tigers.

agproducer
AG
W said:

if Harold Baines is in the Hall of Fame...then Lance Berkman should be. But I guess that's a discussion topic for another time.

Altuve is definitely on track for the Hall, but figuring he plays another 7 or 8 years...the earliest he would be inducted is 2033 or so. That's a long time away
This still bugs me. Berkman had numbers comparable to Edgar Martinez, and Martinez played longer -- yet got into the Hall.

Bobcat-Ag
Verlander has only played for the Astros less than 2 years. I think it's a bit early to discuss if he should go into the hall as an Astros. Give it 4-5 more years and then we may have an argument, especially if there are some awards or rings that happen in that time period.

If he still chooses the Tigers, then OK. We'll still have the WS Championships!
JJxvi
AG
The player no longer chooses what hat is on the plaque, BTW.
Coog97
JJxvi said:

"They'll look at a player's career numbers and look at the impact, and quite honestly, it's usually a no-brainer," Idelson told ESPN. "Then we have a conversation with the player, because we wouldn't do something unilaterally."
Coog97
https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2018/01/how_does_the_mlb_hall_of_fame.html
Coog97
I had missed that, but it seems there is enough latitude to make it interesting.
kb2001
AG
JJxvi said:

Yep

Nolan Ryan included the HOF hat in his contract with the Rangers. A reasonable argument could have been made for him for 4 different teams. All several years, all big accomplishments with each.

I think Wade Boggs tried to do this for his Tampa Bay contract, that's when they changed things so the player doesn't get to pick.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Nolan didn't include it with his contract but Wade Boggs did.
94chem
Kashchei said:

It still chaps my hide that Nolan chose to go in with an Arlington cap
I'm glad he did. Wouldn't want to see him in Angels gear, either.
94chem
I'll be interested to see if Carlos Beltran gets a Rangers or Astros hat. He did lead Houston to a title, but I don't know...it will be close.
Mathguy64
AG
Beltran has 7 choices. Royals, Astros (twice), Mets, Yankees, Rangers, Giants, Cards.

No chance its the last 3. 44 games with the Giants, 52 with the Rangers. 2 years with the Cards, played in but didn't win a WS. 1.5 years with Astros, including a WS and a crazy NLDS and NLCS the first time. 2.5 years as a Yankee. 6.5 years each with the Mets and Royals.

I bet he goes in with a KC hat.
Farmer1906
AG
I don't think he's a HOFer.
94chem
Farmer1906 said:

Doesn't matter what you or anybody else thinks. If Harold Baines is a Hall of Famer, there's not even a debate on Beltran. He's in. Period.
_lefraud_
AG
If I was wagering money, I'd say Beltran goes in with a Mets hat.

I think he was a Hall of Famer before, but yes, with Harold in, Beltran is a no brainer.
Farmer1906
AG
94chem said:

Farmer1906 said:

Doesn't matter what you or anybody else thinks. If Harold Baines is a Hall of Famer, there's not even a debate on Beltran. He's in. Period.

If that's the new bar then everyone is getting in.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.