How to watch the Astros in Oklahoma

2,462 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by fire09
falcon09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This past off season I moved from South Dakota to Oklahoma. I had MLB.TV in SD and loved it. I didn't think about cancelling when I moved to OK because I didn't realize that MLB's blackout of the Astros extends all the way through OK. I knew I wasn't going to be able to watch the Rangers, but 500 miles from the stadium seems excessive for a blackout area.

With MLB.TV ruled out, I searched what providers carried AT&T Sportsnet. We currently have DirecTV Now, but they don't carry it in any of their packages. Apparently it's only AT&T UVerse and the satellite version of DirecTV. Well, UVerse isn't available in my area and I live on base, so I'm not allowed to install a dish. I didn't want to pay $50 a month just for one thing anyways.

How the heck can I watch the 'Stros?

I guess I could pay an extra $5 a month for a VPN (which is just going to piss me off more), but that a) seems shady and b) would limit me to watching on my computer, not my Fire TV Sticks.
TexasRebel
AG
I've never had a problem on network TV. I have suddenlink though. I've never tried mlb tv, but it seems ridiculous that you can't watch anything everywhere.

I usually catch the games on Sirius XM though, because work.
agproducer
AG
falcon09 said:

This past off season I moved from South Dakota to Oklahoma. I had MLB.TV in SD and loved it. I didn't think about cancelling when I moved to OK because I didn't realize that MLB's blackout of the Astros extends all the way through OK. I knew I wasn't going to be able to watch the Rangers, but 500 miles from the stadium seems excessive for a blackout area.

With MLB.TV ruled out, I searched what providers carried AT&T Sportsnet. We currently have DirecTV Now, but they don't carry it in any of their packages. Apparently it's only AT&T UVerse and the satellite version of DirecTV. Well, UVerse isn't available in my area and I live on base, so I'm not allowed to install a dish. I didn't want to pay $50 a month just for one thing anyways.

I guess I could pay an extra $5 a month for a VPN (which is just going to piss me off more), but that a) seems shady and b) would limit me to watching on my computer, not my Fire TV Sticks.
Smart DNS service + Roku + MLB.tv = Astros
Deluxe
AG
I lived in OKC for a few years and the Astros being a "home team" there was extremely frustrating. I just ended up watching games on my laptop via MLB.TV + a VPN service... used an HDMI to link to my TV. Old fashioned but it worked.
SquareOne07
AG
agproducer said:

falcon09 said:

Doesn't work with all routers, namely Google Mesh.
aggiedata
AG
Suggestions on Smart DNS service?
rosco511
AG
SquareOne07 said:

agproducer said:

falcon09 said:

It works on my Google Wifi. I use Unlocator for the DNS.
agproducer
AG
SquareOne07 said:

agproducer said:

falcon09 said:

That may be because it's a Google product and Google likes to location lock. I don't know. That's for someone with more IT knowledge than me. All I know is it works with my Netgear router and it can also work for other routers.

As far as SMART DNS service, I use overplay.net.
halibut sinclair
MLB streams on Reddit.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Double check me, but I have DirecTV and get Rangers games on FSSW and Astros games on AT&T Sportsnet. Not sure what channel it is but it is around 670. It may be because I live in Texas, though.
fire09
AG
Leave Oklahoma. But seriously Reddit mlb streams.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.