***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,875,201 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
BMX Bandit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cromagnum said:

So who is all in on short list for trades?

Reddick is top of my list, followed closely by Tucker and Correa.
should be a very big market to trade for a 33 year old making $13mm that can't hit.

Tucker is a valuable trade piece, but since you are getting rid of Reddick, who is playing in the outfield? dumb to trade him unless it gets you a #1 starter (and it won't)

Trading Correa makes no sense. The only teams that would want him are those in "win now" mode. Most of those teams don't need a shortstop, but even if they did trade for him that aren't going to trade any of the pieces they need to win in 2020. So you really want to ship him off for prospects and go with Diaz every day? No thanks.

tjack16
AG
Offseason wish list:

- Quality starter to compliment JV, Greinke, LMJ and Urquidy
- one or two bullpen arms
- quality catcher to either be backup to Chirinos, or start I do not believe Maldonado has it based on 2018 and this year
Ags #1
AG
Still think that missed strike 2 to soto completely changed that at bat. Had grienke gotten him out which is not a given aj would have left him in imo
BMX Bandit
Chirino is a free agent also.
ccaggie05
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Cromagnum said:

should be a very big market to trade for a 33 year old making $13mm that can't hit.

Tucker is a valuable trade piece, but since you are getting rid of Reddick, who is playing in the outfield? dumb to trade him unless it gets you a #1 starter (and it won't)

Trading Correa makes no sense. The only teams that would want him are those in "win now" mode. Most of those teams don't need a shortstop, but even if they did trade for him that aren't going to trade any of the pieces they need to win in 2020. So you really want to ship him off for prospects and go with Diaz every day? No thanks.

I've seen people mention signing Rendon, moving Bregman back to SS and trading Correa. I'd be ok with Correa being traded in that scenario but I doubt the FO is willing to put up the money Rendon will demand. Plus, who knows if he even wants to leave DC unless he wants to come home.
Harry Stone
AG
did Hinch lose this team last night? i know they didnt hit, i get it, but his decisions pissed off people in that locker room.
aTm2004
AG
Our 1-7 hitters are pretty good. I just want someone in the 8 or 9 position that can actually hit. I think Tucker gets his chance next year and will eventually take Reddick's place.
Ag_07
AG
Oh no doubt

Which is why I don't buy the whole 'He was pitching around Soto' argument. He was no doubt trying to get Soto out and if he does he stays in.
03_Aggie
What's amazing is both teams suffered from lack of clutch hitting at home. Washington was something like 1 for 21 with runners in scoring position in the three games they played at home. We were batting around .300 in Washington.

Not sure if it is added pressure to play in front of the home crowd or what but they literally had an away field advantage this series.
Harry Stone
AG
on a lighter note, i wish i could see bryce harper's expression when that game ended.
E
AG
If thats the case, might as well sign Correa. Rendon already has a reported 7yr $210 million contract offer from the Nats, and Correa will want near the same.
BMX Bandit
Astros are not going to be in the market for Rendon. He is going to get over $30mm a year.
Harry Dunne
BMX Bandit said:

Cromagnum said:

I don't think there is any chance Correa is traded, but as you should know teams can go from tanking to winning the World Series in a couple of years.

He's only 25 and still has two years of team control. I think you're severely underestimating how much someone would trade to have one of the best shortstops in the game, regardless of whether he can stay healthy or not.
03_Aggie
aTm2004 said:

Our 1-7 hitters are pretty good. I just want someone in the 8 or 9 position that can actually hit. I think Tucker gets his chance next year and will eventually take Reddick's place.

I get the lack of production throughout the season in those spots but last night, when it mattered, the 9 hole hit .500 and turned the line up over. The top of the order disappeared.
Harry Dunne
Harry Stone said:

on a lighter note, i wish i could see bryce harper's expression when that game ended.
Yep.

He's also the biggest example/reason of why not to even attempt to sign Cole. If we were to want to spend the $30M per Cole is going to get + what we are already going to spend replacing our free agents and we divided that into a CFM type starter, a good catcher and a couple of good relievers we would probably be far better off overall then signing Cole and being forced to roll with Stubbs, Cionel and so on.
JDUB08AG
AG
I'm hoping we use Correa to possibly restock our farm at some point.
BMX Bandit
If you think i am underestinmaing how much someone would trade for Correa than you didn't read my post

The Astros could get a lot of return on that trade. But they aren't getting players that can help them in 2020, and possibly not even 2021.
PSully97
AG
BMX Bandit said:

If you think i am underestinmaing how much someone would trade for Correa than you didn't read my post

The Astros could get a lot of return on that trade. But they aren't getting players that can help them in 2020, and possibly not even 2021.
You're saying we couldn't get guys that could help us in 2020 but I disagree.

I think a team like the Rangers that has some valuable veterans and knows they are not going to win it all in 2020 but (mistakenly in this case) thinks they are a couple of years away would trade us quite a bit and it's obviously not going to be the Rangers but if we were willing to, we would have teams that would trade us immediate contributors.

Harry Dunne
I did read your post, just didn't explain myself clearly. PSully beat me to it and I don't think it is the right move but I do think there are a lot of scenarios in where we could flip Carlos for veterans that would help us immediately.
E
AG
Who is the luckiest poster on this board that should start the offseason thread?
BMX Bandit
so the team you list as a possible trade partner is a team you admit isn't going to do that kind of trade?

I just don't see a team that thinks they are going to be competitors a few years from now trading for a guy that may not even be on the team in 2022.
pasquale
AG
ccaggie05 said:

BMX Bandit said:

Cromagnum said:

I've seen people mention signing Rendon, moving Bregman back to SS and trading Correa. I'd be ok with Correa being traded in that scenario but I doubt the FO is willing to put up the money Rendon will demand. Plus, who knows if he even wants to leave DC unless he wants to come home.

Move Correa to LF
62strat
AG
SW-14 said:

We left way too many guys on base this game. This one is not on Hinch.
THere is always a what if. What if Hinch kept G in, and G only allows 1 run in 7th.. Then the momentum shift isn't there, Astros still have a lot of confidence, and all of a sudden 8th inning they get another run or two.

You can't say it's not on Hinch. You can't say it is, but it certainly seemed like a mistake to pull a pitcher who made it to 6th with 80 pitches, 2 hits, 1 run, 1 walk, and faced only 3 batters every inning except 1 I think.
Boiling Denim
aTm2004 said:

The Nats just proved you only need a lead off guy and a 3 and 4 hitter on the same frequency to win the Series

I'd rather have 7 starting capable pitchers so we can ditch the bullpen in the playoffs.

Reliance on a traditional bullpen in the playoffs is becoming a costly crutch these last few years for the losing teams
n_touch
Harry Stone said:

did Hinch lose this team last night? i know they didnt hit, i get it, but his decisions pissed off people in that locker room.

If Hinch lost the team that easy then there are already problems with the club.
Texaggie7nine
BMX Bandit
Quote:

Move Correa to LF
we've officially reach radio caller status.
PSully97
AG
BMX Bandit said:

so the team you list as a possible trade partner is a team you admit isn't going to do that kind of trade?

I just don't see a team that thinks they are going to be competitors a few years from now trading for a guy that may not even be on the team in 2022.
Yes, but only because they are a division rival and I think we are the ones that would not do that trade. We don't want to see him miraculously stay healthy and become the MVP he could be while having to play him so many times a year.

Sometimes it's just about fit. We are the favorites to win it all next year but I bet we would trade Reddick for the right piece(s).
Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
Cole is dead to me now
BMX Bandit
Oh I think we would trade Reddick for a bag of baseballs. Its finding someone willing to get rid of the baseballs is the problem.

and speaking of odds:

2020 World Series Odds
Houston Astros +400
Los Angeles Dodgers +450
New York Yankees +600
Boston Red Sox +900
Washington Nationals +1000
Atlanta Braves +1200
Cleveland Indians +1600
Minnesota Twins +2000
Chicago Cubs +2000
Tampa Bay Rays +2000
St. Louis Cardinals +2000
New York Mets +2500
Philadelphia Phillies +2500
Milwaukee Brewers +2500
Oakland Athletics +2500
San Diego Padres +4000
Cincinnati Reds +5000
Chicago White Sox +5000
Colorado Rockies +6600
Arizona Diamondbacks +6600
Los Angeles Angels +6600
Texas Rangers +8000
Pittsburgh Pirates +10000
San Francisco Giants +10000
Seattle Mariners +10000
Toronto Blue Jays +10000
Kansas City Royals +20000
Detroit Tigers +20000
Baltimore Orioles +20000
Miami Marlins +20000
bearkatag15
AG

Ben Reiter still has our backs...
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
ccaggie05
AG
pasquale said:

ccaggie05 said:

BMX Bandit said:

Cromagnum said:

Move Correa to LF

I never said to move Correa to LF.
OkinTexas
Astros are all class. 2020 Astros!
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
mathguy86 said:

Waking up this morning sucks. After sleeping on it and letting the anger of the moment recede you can look back at the key moments and shake your head.

Leaving aside the bats that basically struggled with RISP after game 2 of the ALDS you just have to shake your head at Hinch. He managed at the end differently than he did all season. We got out managed and I didn't think I would ever say that. We got out hit and that happens. Getting out managed hurts.

This. Hinch blew it.
Big Al 1992
AG
Out managed absolutely. And if you heard AJ talk right before game on MLB network he said he had to manage differently - even said he may put Osuna in early.
Why let Devo work it out in game 6 and you have a quick hook to Greinke?
Or when you pull Zack, replace with Cole and if that blows up, well you gave your best chance of success to get out still holding a 2-1 lead.
Putting Cole also motivates players - possibly waking up bats, puts a little fear in the Nats and definitely pumps up the crowd. What a missed opportunity
First Page Last Page
Page 2121 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.