***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,914,752 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

Tucker looks way more awful than Reddick
According to who?

Anyone with 2 eyes watching his ABs
Aggie Pharmer
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Aggie Pharmer said:

Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

Reddick and it shouldn't even be a debate.
Why is that?
Gonna need that stellar defense in the outfield. Sheriff Woody doesn't give me that warm fuzzy with his defense just yet
Just because you don't get warm fuzzies doesn't mean he's a poor defender. TED is just as capable as Reddick out there.
Maybe he is, but he hasn't had a chance to prove it and I don't want him to have that chance this late in the Series.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

I can at least give it to you and EE that you're consistent but how anyone can make an augment for Kyle Tucker to start a WS game is beyond me.
I haven't discussed it much at all since before the postseason. its more about getting one last debate in to stir the pot a little.
Aggie Pharmer
AG
CoachRTM said:

I think Marisnick should be the starter.

He's just as likely to go 1-4 as either Reddick or Tucker based on this postseason. The only negative is that Tucker becomes your pinch-runner in a tight ballgame.
I like the way you think
gigemJTH12
AG
Ag_07 said:

what?? hitting? not true at all
Faustus
Farmer1906 said:

MuckRaker96 said:

has there ever been a player who embraced the biggest stage in baseball more than Reggie Jackson?

from baseball-reference: he played in 27 world series games; 35-for-98 with 10 home runs
.357 BA, .457 OBP, .755 SLG, 1.212 OPS

77 World Series when he had the 3-HR game vs LA, he hit .450 and his OPS was 1.792.
That WS is good for 8th best OPS.

In 1928 Lou Gehrig had a 2.433 in 17 PA. He went 6-11 with 4 HR and a double scoring 5 runs and driving in 9.

They call that the greatest double of all time.
Post removed:
by user
ClickClack
AG
Barstool radio (Sirius Chan 85) is going to have flasher girl on at 5:30 ET
Charlie Conway
Farmer1906 said:

Now back to the most important topic.

Who gets the start in right tomorrow?

My vote if TED.

Reddick's OPS is only higher than Urquidy, Cole, Greinke, and Diaz (only 2 ABs).

He's made contact 15x (includes foul balls) and has yet to crack 90 MPH exit velo. His hit was smashed a whopping 62.1 MPH/

Teddy Baseball on the other hand show the ability to draw a few walks and actually hit the ball with a little velocity in his very limited ABs. (hard hit foul off of Hudson & a line drive single just under the hard-hit minimum).

had to check the username on that one
W
AG
mathguy86 said:

W said:

Hinch has a chance to separate himself from many of the one-year wonder managers that won 1 world series.

if the Astros win tomorrow or Wednesday, Hinch will be on par with the likes of Tommy Lasorda, Terry Francona, Cito Gaston, and others
Hinch is better than Tito, managing circles around Cito and don't get me started on that fat lasagna eating POS.
I won't necessarily disagree. Cito won in back-to-back seasons 92 & 93 with almost the same teams. That is the easiest way to do it. Whereas the Astros have had a 60-70% turn over of the pitching staff from 17 to 19.

Tito won his titles in 04 & 07 and broke the curse. That is still pretty special.

and Lasorda's titles were in 81 & 88. Looking back at the rosters...fairly remarkable how the 88 Dodgers beat the loaded Mets and A's that year
bullard21k
AG
I was wondering if cole would be interested in a 1or 2 year deal. Still make him the highest paid pitcher in the league "yearly" but just not a long term deal.

Our pitch to cole could be let's try to win another ring or 2 with JV here and then go sign your 8 year mega deal.

I'm aware that's easier said than done and somebody passing up hundreds of millions guaranteed probably isn't happening...and you have to strike while you are at your peek...just wondering if Astros Mgmt plays that angle
bearkatag15
AG
ClickClack said:

Barstool radio (Sirius Chan 85) is going to have flasher girl on at 5:30 ET
She was on ESPN 97.5 at 2:15 today - The Usual Suspects hour 2 at the 10 minute mark

http://www.podcastarena.com/the-usual-suspects/
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
spadilly
S
Got an email with a sign up link for "CLEAR ENTRY" tomorrow night. Has anyone used this before? First time I have seen it, and I assume it's tied to buying tickets through the Astros website.

https://www.clearme.com/sports/astros/
Texaggie7nine
You have to go to the Clear station at the designated entrance at Minute Maid park to finish signing up, or go to the one at the airport.
7nine
Buck Compton
AG
spadilly said:

Got an email with a sign up link for "CLEAR ENTRY" tomorrow night. Has anyone used this before? First time I have seen it, and I assume it's tied to buying tickets through the Astros website.

I use it all the time in airports because work pays for it and I travel so much.

You're going to have to get there extra early to put in biometrics (eyes, fingerprints from right hand) to their system and it's fairly expensive. All it does at airports us get you to the front of your line, so it stacks with pre-check. My guess is it just takes you to the front of metal detector line
Texaggie7nine
Buck Compton said:

spadilly said:

I use it all the time in airports because work pays for it and I travel so much.

You're going to have to get there extra early to put in biometrics (eyes, fingerprints from right hand) to their system and it's fairly expensive. All it does at airports us get you to the front of your line, so it stacks with pre-check. My guess is it just takes you to the front of metal detector line
It's free for sporting events.
7nine
Buck Compton
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Buck Compton said:

spadilly said:

It's free for sporting events.
Yes, it's a data play for now for sporting events. That'll change at some point
Sid Farkas
AG
Buck Compton said:

spadilly said:

My company doesn't pay for it...I paid for it for a year and found it useful because it's another filter to get me to the tsa line faster...tsa pre is a no brainer. I'd recommend it to anyone. Problem is, everyone has it and at my airport (LAX) the tsa pre lines are long...clear is merely an up charge to get past all the people stuck in the ever lengthening tsa pre lines

My travel requirements have lightened up, so I didn't re up on the clear subscription
Cromagnum
AG
bullard21k said:

I was wondering if cole would be interested in a 1or 2 year deal. Still make him the highest paid pitcher in the league "yearly" but just not a long term deal.

Our pitch to cole could be let's try to win another ring or 2 with JV here and then go sign your 8 year mega deal.

I'm aware that's easier said than done and somebody passing up hundreds of millions guaranteed probably isn't happening...and you have to strike while you are at your peek...just wondering if Astros Mgmt plays that angle

That's a hard sell and a pretty easy offer to refuse. You can only spend so much money per year realistically so why not take the larger amount overall even if its stretched longer?
Faustus
https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pirates/2019/10/15/How-Astros-analytics-transformed-ex-Pirate-Gerrit-Cole/stories/201910150105

Pittsburgh article on Cole from mid-October. Pretty much glowing.

Here's the schadenfreude from another Pittsburgh paper I went looking for.

https://triblive.com/sports/tim-benz-gut-reactions-to-following-gerrit-cole-as-opposed-to-marc-andre-fleury/

Quote:

. . .
Some are watching Cole and bemoaning the results. Mainly because he has been fantastic, and the return Pirates general manager Neal Huntington got in the Houston trade has been marginal. Joe Musgrove, Michael Feliz, Jason Martin and Colin Moran have been average at best.

Others are watching with a kind of macabre, self-loathing sense of humor. Almost a "if you can't laugh you are going to cry" effect.

If it is possible to fall into both camps at once, that's where I am.

Rooting for Cole like Fleury, though? No. I'm not there yet.

And I don't see myself getting there. That's not all Cole's fault, mind you.

But it's certainly not mine either.

Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
bullard21k said:

Yea and he blows a knee or whatever something fluky happened a he left 130 mill on the table. With a 6-8 year guaranteed 250-300mill you take the sure fire generational money. No one is taking 70mil for 2 years and rolling the dice when they could get 3 times that as a bottom starting point for negotiating

This is like **** you money rich, not just I played pro ball and I'm rich money.
titanmaster_race
JRC0811 said:

Lets win first before we talk about this... going to anger the baseball gods with this kind of talk.

+11tybillion
Frok
AG
Any update on Scherzer's neck today?
JYDog90
AG
Sounds like he's out for awhile. Won't see him again this aeries.
bearkatag15
AG
Frok said:

Any update on Scherzer's neck today?
I posted this earlier today:

Quote:

https://thefandc.radio.com/max-scherzer-likely-done-world-series

Looks like Scherzer is done.
Quote:

Quote:
"All I can say is, at least two people I talked to (Sunday) that have talked to him, I don't think there's any chance he pitches in Game 7," Paulsen told The Sports Junkies.

"One of the people said basically, 'There's no way, it's absolutely not happening,'" Paulsen said Monday on The Fan. "The other one was like, 'Well, let's just see what happens with the cortisone shots and all that.' But I mean their expectation as of when he told them he couldn't go basically was, 'We'll see you in spring training,' at that moment."

Of course, there is still the slim possibility Scherzer is able to pitch in Game 7 if the Nationals get there. Nobody in the right mind would doubt Scherzer's toughness, especially after a 10-strikeout performance in June against the Philadelphia Phillies just one day after breaking his nose and sporting a large black eye.

Also, Martinez said there wouldn't be a workout at MMP today so no one will get eyes on Scherzer until tomorrow.
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
The Kraken
AG
Bregxit said:

WES2006AG said:

Ag_07 said:

I don't think you get refunded the fees. Just the price of the ticket itself.
I don't have any experience with getting a refund from the Astros but this doesn't sound right. In my experience with the Rockets you got back every penny paid for a game that didn't take place.

Lets hope the Stros just made an error and aren't planning on keeping people's fees.

Just so anger isn't directed to the wrong place, MLB handles the ticketing system not the Astros.
From MLB's website:

Quote:

8. What are the convenience and handling charges?

Tickets sold on the club sites are subject to a per-ticket convenience charge and a non-refundable per-order charge.
Looks like that even applies to non-played playoff games.

EDIT: Just chatted online with an Astros ticket rep, she claims it was an error in the system and the convenience charges should be refunded by next week.
titanmaster_race
I read somewhere that cortisone shots can take 48hrs to kick in. Wonder if he'll start feeling pretty good tomorrow? Admittedly though, I think there's no way an athlete can go from "can't pick up my arm" to dealing against professional hitters in 3 days. Really feel bad for the guy.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Ive only had one in my elbow, they work pretty good but if there is an underlying problem which is likely causing the inflammation then it isn't going to be - I can't move my arm or neck to throwing 97 mile an hour heaters. It will likely be I can sleep without pain until this dies down in a week
Harry Dunne
Buck Compton said:

Farmer1906 said:

Buck Compton said:

It's not a discussion and the answer is no. There's already too many up there.

Being in the rafters should mean you were an all-time great and spent like 85% of that career (and most of those accomplishments) in Houston.
so no Ryan for Verlander for you?
Ryan was a mercenary and played for a long time for 4 teams. He isn't iconic for us, hell he's in the actual HOF as a Ranger.
One of the most ignorant takes I have read in a long time. Nolan Ryan is not iconic for the Astros?!?!

Even if you weren't around in the 80s when Nolan WAS the Houston Astros, the amount of #34 jerseys you still see at every game should tell you otherwise.
3 Toed Pete
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Buck Compton said:

Farmer1906 said:

Buck Compton said:

Being in the rafters should mean you were an all-time great and spent like 85% of that career (and most of those accomplishments) in Houston.
Ryan was a mercenary and played for a long time for 4 teams. He isn't iconic for us, hell he's in the actual HOF as a Ranger.
One of the most ignorant takes I have read in a long time. Nolan Ryan is not iconic for the Astros?!?!

Even if you weren't around in the 80s when Nolan WAS the Houston Astros, the amount of #34 jerseys you still see at every game should tell you otherwise.
Yes. Calling him a mercenary is ridiculous. The only reason he left Houston is because McMullen wouldn't resign him at a reasonable price because of his age. He didn't have much choice but to leave Houston.
Mr.Bond
AG
Still pisses me off he had that ****IN **** ranger hat on his plaque
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Agnzona
I lived in Germany when Nolan went to the Rangers, still don't understand any of that.
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
Threadbare
WelchAg said:

The fact that Cole last night said he is going to make the free agency trailblazers before him proud, he is seeking absolutely max dollars. That being said, dude is just honest and has his convictions. At minimum, we were lucky enough for him to reach stardom on our watch. Going to be hard for him to be any better than this.
As much as I hate to lose Cole, the probability that he turns out to be worth the contract he's going to command is pretty low.

Hopefully he goes to a National League team.
Threadbare
3 Toed Pete said:

Harry Dunne said:

Buck Compton said:

Farmer1906 said:

Buck Compton said:

Yes. Calling him a mercenary is ridiculous. The only reason he left Houston is because McMullen wouldn't resign him at a reasonable price because of his age. He didn't have much choice but to leave Houston.
Yeah, but the Astros signed Jim Clancy in his place for a little less money, so it all worked out well for them...
Buck Compton
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Buck Compton said:

Farmer1906 said:

Buck Compton said:

He may be iconic to us, but not everyone views him like that. My use of the term mercenary was because he spent significant time with 4 teams (4 NYM, 8 Angels, 9 Houston, 5 Rangers). Not as a slight on him as a person, but because that's how his career reads when you make a decision to retire a number. You could actually argue that his best numbers were with the Angels.

I also think it's stupid he has a freaking Ranger hat on his head in Cooperstown but it is what it is.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be retired here because he's an all-time great and I get your POV, but A LOT of his production was outside of a Astros uniform.
First Page Last Page
Page 1966 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.