***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,906,928 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Lonestar_Ag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AustinAg2K said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Bregxit said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Bregxit said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Anyone watch this?

I don't know if I buy what he's selling.

Which part? Paying Cole to keep the "secret" from getting out? The rest is common knowledge amongst Astros fans that have been paying attention.

Common knowledge that one little secret thing is why astro pitchers are better ?

Guess I'm not a fan that has been paying attention.

You said you weren't buying what he is selling. Everything he said besides paying Cole to keep a secret is common knowledge. So is that the part you are talking about? If so, I agree. There is not some super secret one thing the Astros are doing. I wasn't trying to poke at you or anything.

Do you believe Morton passed on this knowledge to the Ray's and that is why their pitching is so good??

I am sure Strom is a big reason and I'm sure there is technique issues, but I dont think it's something like a easy trick to tell other pitchers and we just know it and the other teams dont.

The problem with this guy's argument is that Greinke's ERA and WHIP actually went up after joining the Astros.

Greinke isn't a high velocity pitcher like Cole, Verlander or even Glasnow if you believe that angle
Deluxe
AG
AustinAg2K said:

The problem with this guy's argument is that Greinke's ERA and WHIP actually went up after joining the Astros.

Yea there are many many many things wrong with his argument, besides the fact that his "revelations" are very common knowledge among people who follow baseball closely. I think he's mostly just a YouTube troll hungry for clicks, which is why the cover photo for the video is Verlander rubbing something on his finger.

Joe Musgrove and Michael Feliz were with the Astros in 2017. How's the Pirates staff doing with the knowledge they brought?

How did Ken Giles ever fail to begin with? He throws 100 with a couple breaking balls. And why didn't Ken bring all his knowledge of our secret to Toronto?

Why isn't Josh James the GOAT pitcher given his stuff and our secret?

Why didn't we just tell Corbin Martin the secret before letting him fail like five times and then trading him?

If there was a secret, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be consistently missing on young pitchers that we bring up to the show.

The bottom line is that Cole and JV are just really damn good. They've benefited from our analytics and approach, but they have the ability and mental toughness to EXECUTE CONSISTENTLY. There's not much more to see here.
jopatura
AG
cpsencik04 said:

AustinAg2K said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Bregxit said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Bregxit said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Anyone watch this?

I don't know if I buy what he's selling.

Which part? Paying Cole to keep the "secret" from getting out? The rest is common knowledge amongst Astros fans that have been paying attention.

Common knowledge that one little secret thing is why astro pitchers are better ?

Guess I'm not a fan that has been paying attention.

You said you weren't buying what he is selling. Everything he said besides paying Cole to keep a secret is common knowledge. So is that the part you are talking about? If so, I agree. There is not some super secret one thing the Astros are doing. I wasn't trying to poke at you or anything.

Do you believe Morton passed on this knowledge to the Ray's and that is why their pitching is so good??

I am sure Strom is a big reason and I'm sure there is technique issues, but I dont think it's something like a easy trick to tell other pitchers and we just know it and the other teams dont.

Greinke isn't a high velocity pitcher like Cole, Verlander or even Glasnow if you believe that angle

There's also the buy-in. There was an article about Ryan Pressly from around the All-Star break I believe and it basically said you had to buy in fully to see success because of all the analytics involved. He did and it worked for him. I could someone like Grienke not trusting the data especially if he had success on another team using "his" formula.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
As much as I have hated James, he's been pretty dang good and accurate since his stint in the IL. He has the stuff and is close to being really good... you never know.
Deluxe
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

As much as I have hated James, he's been pretty dang good and accurate since his stint in the IL. He has the stuff and is close to being really good... you never know.

He has been pretty solid recently. That wasn't really my point tho.
Big Al 1992
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Wabs said:

Was just listening to Russo on Mad Dog radio. He basically repeats what he said about the Astros making a mistake starting JV in G5. I think an assumption he is making is that just because Hinch said JV was starting G5 that it's against the law to change his mind after what he sees in G4.

It's a safe bet Hinch doesn't change his mind

Mad Dog has been wrong all series. Such a homer. Said Yankess would be favored then could not believe that Vegas disagreed with him. Also was very confident in Yankees winning in 5. Wrong again. So if he thinks it's not the right move to start JV in game 5, then AJ is making the correct call.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Yeah, didn't mean to go on a tangent but your post reminded me of how impressed I have been with James lately.
titanmaster_race
I hold suspicions about opinions from anyone who calls themself "Mad Dog"
agsquirrel97
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Yeah, didn't mean to go on a tangent but your post reminded me of how impressed I have been with James lately.
I don't want to see James against Sanchez again, he had his timing down and was really close in the top of the 11th. I have never seen a ball hit our roof as fast and as hard as Sanchez did. It reminded me of how Christine Michael hit many holes (very fast and very hard).

One more crack at James and I think Sanchez does damage.
Cromagnum
AG
I'm sure its tarped and can be squeegeed but its rained a ton up there. I hope the field isn't a mudpit.
AggiEE
https://twitter.com/realMaxFairplay/status/1184577330070470658?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1184577330070470658&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2F2%2Ftwitter.min.html%231184577330070470658
Big Al 1992
AG
What does everyone want to see tomorrow. I'll take ZG with another 6 innings and giving up 3 runs since I believe we will mash 8-3 final.
TXAG14
Honestly just want to take it an inning at a time. His last two starts don't have me feeling very confident.
astros4545
AG
Am I the only one who thought he looked pretty damn good last start
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
So um... anyone got a pre-sale code they aren't gonna use?
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
astros4545 said:

Am I the only one who thought he looked pretty damn good last start

Greinke was not bad his last outing...
Aggie_Brad
One variable in Game 4 has to be the wind. I think it messes with Tanaka's accuracy vs Greinke's. If Tanaka has to rely on the FB more, the Astros hit him hard. Also, I would start Reddick in RF because of more experience dealing with windy situations at the major league level over Tucker.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Aggie_Brad said:

One variable in Game 4 has to be the wind. I think it messes with Tanaka's accuracy vs Greinke's. If Tanaka has to rely on the FB more, the Astros hit him hard. Also, I would start Reddick in RF because of more experience dealing with windy situations at the major league level over Tucker.

Zero percent chance I'd start tucker in the playoffs again, much less in yankee stadium.
gigemJTH12
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

What does everyone want to see tomorrow. I'll take ZG with another 6 innings and giving up 3 runs since I believe we will mash 8-3 final.
if you told me he goes 6 innings and gives up 3 runs I would probably take that right now.

7 innings 3 runs would be awesome though.
titanmaster_race
The last time I remember facing Tanaka in Yankee stadium was 2017 Derek Jeter day. Bregman Grand salami in the first inning.
Serotonin
AG
The Yankees are highly unlikely to beat cole game 7 at MMP. Their best path is to win next three in a row and avoid that scenario.

By shifting JV up from game 6 to game 5 we create a scenario where we'll be underdogs in all three games. Not sure how much I like that, but I have to trust hinch on this.

https://www.vegasinsider.com/mlb/matchups/matchups.cfm/date/10-17-19

https://www.vegasinsider.com/mlb/matchups/matchups.cfm/date/10-18-19
Ag_07
AG
Wind is gonna be crazy today

NY under a dangerous wind warning which indicates gusts of up to 65 mph.

This could be a wild one
YNWA_AG
AG
I don't see how you can say the Astros are underdogs in any game with Verlander on the mound. He's going to be at worst the runner up for the Cy young. I don't care what Vegas says. Never tell me the odds.
Ag_07
AG
And I couldn't care less what Vegas odds say

That has absolutely nothing to do with anything relating to the outcome of the game.
FrioAg 00
AG
Even in NY, which starter does NY have that's going to be favored over Verlsnder?

I think he's turned the next 3 games to all coin-flips basically. 2 wins it but 1 is enough.
Serotonin
AG
Ag_07 said:

And I couldn't care less what Vegas odds say

That has absolutely nothing to do with anything relating to the outcome of the game.

It's based on home/road splits and JV being a fly ball pitcher. Wind will be headed to short porch in right on Friday night.

It has nothing to do with outcome of the game? Sure, it just has to do with projected outcome. It's not like Vegas bettors don't know JV is an elite HOF pitcher. It's just not a good environment for his skill set on Friday night.
Post removed:
by user
BMX Bandit
third coast.. said:

I will take any tickets that anyone gets that they cant use. SRO or otherwise, to any games. Can pay immediately, do not care about section or row.
how much you willing to pay?
Post removed:
by user
8T2
https://www.windy.com/?40.840,-73.870,11

Winds this evening look to be 20 mph, with gusts to 35, and blowing out to right field. I don't know what effect Yankee Stdium has on wind currents, but the RF porch is already short.
Ag_07
AG
Sure that stuff is included but there's way more that goes into a line than that. I not a hardcore gambler but as I understand it a lot depends on where money is going and where they want it to go.

Betting lines are for just that...Betting and I don't think shouldn't be looked when analyzing a game.
digging tunnels
AG
I've been trying to confirm this stat, but I heard on XM that Tanaka's 1.32 ERA in the playoffs is 3rd best all time (min 40 innings pitched)
BMX Bandit
Quote:

By shifting JV up from game 6 to game 5 we create a scenario where we'll be underdogs in all three games.
Which 3 games?
agdaddy04
AG
third coast.. said:

Well since we are all friends here I would like to pay face as has been customary in here all year.

Face is what most people here sold them for last year as well as '17.
Serotonin
AG
Games 4, 5, and 6.
First Page Last Page
Page 1507 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.