***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,910,660 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Teddy Perkins
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggiederelict said:

This could be huge. I wonder if he will be available come playoff time.
Quote:

Germn could be eligible to return before the postseason begins, if MLB's investigation allows him to. Dodgers pitcher Julio Uras was placed on administrative leave after he was arrested on suspicion of domestic battery in May 2019. He returned from leave after seven days. MLB ultimately suspended Urias for 20 games on Aug. 17.
https://theathletic.com/1226040/2019/09/19/domingo-german-is-placed-on-leave-while-major-league-baseball-investigates-domestic-violence-allegation/
Post removed:
by user
W
AG
wonder if this falls under Joe Torre's purview
astros4545
AG
Yankees are 19-0-3 in their last 22 home series

But some people would prefer the 2 seed
Kashchei
AG
If the Astros don't win the WS this year, is the season considered a failure?
Baseball-Junkie
I know we don't really have room, but I miss Maybin. Sucks even more that he's with the Yankers now.
Baseball-Junkie
Kashchei said:

100%. The players would even tell you as much. It would be a major disappointment to those playing, Jeff, the fans, etc. We didn't sell out, but Jeff made moves to win it all -- not come up short -- but be respectable.

If we come up short and lose Cole, it's even worse.
Ag_07
AG
Kashchei said:

No. I think everyone would be disappointed but to call a 102-107 win season a failure is pretty ridiculous.

We know how big of a crapshoot the playoffs can be. Often times the best teams don't win the WS.
tjack16
AG
I just want us to get to the World Series. If we do that, then it would be hard to call it a failure. Losing in the ALDS or ALCS would be a bitter pill to swallow. I fully expect the Dodgers to win the NL.... and it's hard to imagine them losing the World Series for a 3rd year in a row.

I expect us to win it all and will be disappointed if we don't. However, winning the pennant is still a huge accomplishment
Frok
AG
I'm not sure I would consider losing to the Yankees or Dodgers a "failure". Those teams are both elite as well.

Losing to either Oakland, Tampa Bay, or Minnesota would be a failure.
CoachRTM
AG
tjholley16 said:

I just want us to get to the World Series. If we do that, then it would be hard to call it a failure. Losing in the ALDS or ALCS would be a bitter pill to swallow. I fully expect the Dodgers to win the NL.... and it's hard to imagine them losing the World Series for a 3rd year in a row.

I expect us to win it all and will be disappointed if we don't. However, winning the pennant is still a huge accomplishment

I don't think it's a given that the Dodgers make it to the WS.

- Making it 3 years in a row is pretty rare
- Dodgers really haven't played a meaningful game in a while - they have a 20 game division lead at the moment.
- Cubs have a legit roster for a wild-card team and the Nationals have a great 1-3 pitching staff. (Brewers without Yelich would be a pushover)
- I'm higher on the Braves than most. They're in a much tougher division (Nats, Mets and Phillies all we're pushing for WC spots for a while)

The Vegas odds definitely have the Dodgers as the big favorite to make it out of the NL, I just don't think it's the given that everyone else seems to.
Harry Dunne
Baseball-Junkie said:

I know we don't really have room, but I miss Maybin. Sucks even more that he's with the Yankers now.
Why do you miss Maybin?
Mr.Ackar07
Harry Dunne said:

Baseball-Junkie said:

Why do you miss Maybin?
Dude, he gave us a free taco that one time.
Buck Compton
AG
Yeah, the Maybin post is very confusing.

You miss a back-up we had for half a season who is slower than his speed replacement we now have on the roster (Straw)? A guy who hit .186 for us (and stole that one base in the WS)? That guy?

He's having a career year for the Yankees in that bandbox only playing in 74 games, but he has no place on our roster.
titanmaster_race
I wouldn't say that I miss maybin, but I look back fondly on his time with the club. Likable guy who had more than a few big moments for the club.
Big Al 1992
AG
Reminds me of Bagwell Biggio years where we couldn't beat the freakin Padres in the first round.
Big Al 1992
AG
So JV going for 3000 Sunday? Who will be there?
bearkatag15
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

aggiederelict said:

This could be huge. I wonder if he will be available come playoff time.
Quote:

Germn could be eligible to return before the postseason begins, if MLB's investigation allows him to. Dodgers pitcher Julio Uras was placed on administrative leave after he was arrested on suspicion of domestic battery in May 2019. He returned from leave after seven days. MLB ultimately suspended Urias for 20 games on Aug. 17.
https://theathletic.com/1226040/2019/09/19/domingo-german-is-placed-on-leave-while-major-league-baseball-investigates-domestic-violence-allegation/
AustinCountyAg
titanmaster_race said:

I wouldn't say that I miss maybin, but I look back fondly on his time with the club. Likable guy who had more than a few big moments for the club.
pretty sure his stolen base was his only "big" moment.
Bulldog73
AG
Damn Kevin Brown.
Ag_07
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

titanmaster_race said:

pretty sure his stolen base was his only "big" moment.

He hit a game winning HR in I think his first game with us.

If not his first game it was very early in his tenure because I remember us being all jacked up we actually got production from the LF position.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Mathguy64
AG
Thats big. They were pitching thin on the front side all year. They just got thinner and lost Betances on the back end too. Bullpen reliance in the playoffs is a killer. Seeing the same guys 4, 5 or 6 times matters to pro hitters. Running them out there 4, 5 or 6 times in a series wears them out. A lesson I'm not sure Roberts every understood 2 years ago.
Frok
AG
That is huge but my goodness this Yankees team takes a lickin and keeps on tickin.
Beat40
Frok said:

That is huge but my goodness this Yankees team takes a lickin and keeps on tickin.

I get you, but it does help getting to dominate the Orioles in your division.
titanmaster_race
That's what I was thinking of as well
Farmer1906
AG
Beat40 said:

Frok said:

I get you, but it does help getting to dominate the Orioles in your division.
Os are bad, but the Twins are the real paper tigers. They have 45-107 Tigers, 56-98 Royals, & 66-86 White Sox. They're 34-14 (71%) vs the bottom of their division. Plus they have 9 more to go vs them. They'll probably crack 100 wins too.
DVC2010
AG
Baseball-Junkie said:

Do you also miss that time the Yankees won an ALCS game because, to steal a line from a baseball writer at the time, "someone unplugged Cameron Maybin's Xbox controller?"

Because that's all I remember him for.
Bregxit
AG
DVC2010 said:

Baseball-Junkie said:

Do you also miss that time the Yankees won an ALCS game because, to steal a line from a baseball writer at the time, "someone unplugged Cameron Maybin's Xbox controller?"

Huh?
DVC2010
AG
Morton's start in New York. Yankees got all kinds of bases on weak contact. One was a blooper to left that should have been playable, but Maybin just let it drop in front of him.
Buck Compton
AG
https://www.pinstripealley.com/2017/10/16/16482970/yankees-astros-postseason-alcs

This was a fun read to revisit two years later. The arrogance just oozes out (this is when they were down 0-2.
Bregxit
AG
DVC2010 said:

Morton's start in New York. Yankees got all kinds of bases on weak contact. One was a blooper to left that should have been playable, but Maybin just let it drop in front of him.
Oh that. And Springer dove for and whiffed on a line drive that almost lost us a WS game. Do we dislike him for that as well?
Mr President Elect
AG
Bregxit said:

And Springer dove for and whiffed on a line drive that almost lost us a WS game. Do we dislike him for that as well?

I actually like Springer for that stuff. Sure I would like to avoid that kind of stuff, but it is really irritating when a player lets every ball that he has to take more than two steps forward for drop. If Springer routinely misjudged plays then sure I would be a lot harder on him.
Bregxit
AG
willjohnathan said:

Bregxit said:

And Springer dove for and whiffed on a line drive that almost lost us a WS game. Do we dislike him for that as well?

I actually like Springer for that stuff. Sure I would like to avoid that kind of stuff, but it is really irritating when a player lets every ball that he has to take more than two steps forward for drop. If Springer routinely misjudged plays then sure I would be a lot harder on him.
I'm just saying, it is easy to pick out a bad defensively play for anyone, especially someone like Maybin who has never been known for his defense to begin with.

What I remember Maybin for is not a stolen base or a bad play. It is for getting a PH single ahead of a Springer Dinger which gave us a two run lead in WS game 2 that we won by one run. That was clutch and got us our first World Series game win.
JABQ04
AG
DVC2010 said:

Baseball-Junkie said:

Maybe that's what you remember him for. I remember Maybin for getting free tacos for stealing the the first (and IIRC only) base of the WS.
First Page Last Page
Page 1067 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.