***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,916,850 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tjholley16 said:

mathguy86 said:

Just for fun, 3 players post All Star Break:

Player A: 60 Games, .310/.420/.653, 66 H. 43 R, 51 RBI, 19 HR, 16 2B, 40 BB, 62 K

Player B: 47 Games, .274/.411/.643, 46 H, 39 R, 37 RBI, 17 HR, 9 2B, 34 BB, 51 K

Player C: 59 Games, .341/.459/.654, 71 H, 54 R, 49 RBI, 14 HR, 21 2B, 43 BB, 29 K
for Post All Star game awards I'd go with C
Yeah, but if you want Bregman to win it, that's the argument you have to make. Trout's 2nd half was good, but it wasn't as good. In fact it wasn't even as good as Yordan or Yuli. Trout got his counting stats early in the year. When games matter the most, who was the best player? If Bregman can get to 40 HR, he has a shot.
Mr President Elect
AG

I hope nothing comes of this, both in that I hope nothing bad occured, and I want the other teams to be at full strength for postseason quality.
CFTXAG10
AG
Timing
Ag_07
AG
That's a BIG blow to an already questionable staff
Mathguy64
AG
He started regular games and was 18-4 up until 9/12 where he only threw 4 IP out of the pen, and then last night 2.1 IP out of the pen. I wonder if the Yankees knew something was coming.
Buck Compton
AG
They likely did.

That being said, I do hope obviously nothing happened. But if it did, he should sit out.

As for the comment about full strength teams? Eff that. There are no asterisks. I hope every team is missing a key player or two, it won't make that trophy any less sweet.
irish pete ag06
AG
mathguy86 said:

He started regular games and was 18-4 up until 9/12 where he only threw 4 IP out of the pen, and then last night 2.1 IP out of the pen. I wonder if the Yankees knew something was coming.
They probably did, but they also said they wanted to limit his innings since he's young and had never thrown this many before.
Mr President Elect
AG
Buck Compton said:

As for the comment about full strength teams? Eff that. There are no asterisks. I hope every team is missing a key player or two, it won't make that trophy any less sweet.
If we were barely making the playoffs, or had a couple key guys out, then sure I would want all the help we could get. But we are a powerhouse and I want to watch us against the other teams best. I want the trophy, but I usually prefer the thrill of the moment watching the games over the "oh yeah, well 15 years ago we won a world series". Game 5 will live in mlb lore, and that is what I get most enjoyment out of; well of course if we had lost, it would have sucked.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Wrong thread
Buck Compton
AG
I'm not saying to be scared of anyone (we can beat anyone at full strength), but you take any advantage you can get if you're making me choose right now without knowing an outcome. Do you think the games won't be pressure packed or exciting if he's out for the playoffs?

No. They'll still be exciting if you win a WS. You don't get extra credit for a difficult playoff strength of schedule. With such a small sample size, I'll take the advantage. I will 100% take blowing injured teams out on the way to a WS over some close losses at full strength (yes, I know those aren't our only options).
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
SquirrellyDan said:

Frok said:

We can take Oakland, I want the one seed
No doubt we can take Oakland.

However, I would trade home field advantage in the ALCS in order to avoid playing the hottest team in baseball (over the last three months really) in a 5 game series.

Other than the Astros, there's no doubt A's and Yankees are the two best teams in the AL....I don't want to have to beat both of them to reach the WS.

I know, I know, get a dog.

Ummm so youre saying that 2 of the 3 teams in the playoffs not counting ourselves are the best/hottest team in MLB....isnt that kind of the purpose of the playoffs anyways?
spadilly
S

But on a serious note, stay safe out there today, fellas. Prayers to those affected by the floods today. All too familiar.
SquirrellyDan
AG
cpsencik04 said:

SquirrellyDan said:

Frok said:

We can take Oakland, I want the one seed
No doubt we can take Oakland.

However, I would trade home field advantage in the ALCS in order to avoid playing the hottest team in baseball (over the last three months really) in a 5 game series.

Other than the Astros, there's no doubt A's and Yankees are the two best teams in the AL....I don't want to have to beat both of them to reach the WS.

I know, I know, get a dog.

Ummm so youre saying that 2 of the 3 teams in the playoffs not counting ourselves are the best/hottest team in MLB....isnt that kind of the purpose of the playoffs anyways?

I'm saying I'd rather not have to play both. And the A's have been THE best team in baseball for 3 months.
Mr.Ackar07
2017:
1) Major flooding event
2) Team wins 100 games
3) World Series title

2019:
1) Major flooding event
2) Team wins 100 games
3) ???
Agnzona
Houston Strong!
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
Ag_07
AG
At this point just make the Houston Strong patch a permanent uniform piece.

The A's wear their stupid elephant patch.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
n_touch
And we got a new pitcher at the deadline....

Deluxe
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

2017:
1) Major flooding event
2) Team wins 100 games
3) World Series title

2019:
1) Major flooding event
2) Team wins 100 games
3) ???
Hulla Baller
AG
It's a sign!
Bregxit
AG
Break out the Houston Skrong patches!
bearkatag15
AG
Sounds like Judge did something to his shoulder last night diving for a ball. He's out of the lineup today. Boone said he doesn't think its serious though.

Ag_07
AG
This is why I think NYY could just concede #1 seed and opt to keep guys out.

Their injuries have been ridiculous this year.
Mr President Elect
AG
Ag_07 said:

Their injuries have been ridiculous this year.
Curious to know what the offensive drop-off was between the players they lost and the players they replaced them with. From afar it seemed like they got a lot of production out of their replacements.
agsquirrel97
AG
agsquirrel97 said:

ClickClack said:

Prosperdick said:

ClickClack said:

Man I miss CFM. Feels like a big miscalculation to let him walk and then have to go pony up to get Greinke.
I hear you but that same clinical precision that has given us a team that should win 100+ games three years in a row (and maybe more) made a calculated decision that he wouldn't hold up for three years with his injury history. Tampa was willing to take that risk and it's certainly working out for them right now.

Of course I wish we still had him but you live by analytics and sometimes you die by analytics.

That all being said, what if Charlie gets hurt next season and now you have him on the books for that season and another one and it prevents us from acquiring more talent in a need area (or extending Springer for instance).

You have to look at it pragmatically and not as a fan. I think Luhnow has earned it.

Fair enough. I needed to hear the counterpoint honestly to feel better.
I was Ok that we let Charlie walk based on durability questions. His most innings pitched was 171 back at 27 years old. He just seemed to peter out last year when he pitched 167 innings, he has never demonstrated the ability to pitch an entire season and postseason successfully. Many people echoed those remarks in last seasons thread/postseason thread.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love CFM and it was tough to see him go with Dallas leaving and LMJ going under the knife, but I supported the FO spending the money elsewhere. Knowing the season he is having now, of course I would change my mind, but at the end of the 2018 season it seemed like the right decision.

As far as my answer to CFM or Greinke?

I will toot my horn, I said it a month ago.

Our front office doesn't make a lot of unforced errors. Don't get me wrong, still love and miss CFM, but if his arm is dead in the playoffs, he is not a big help to. Would love him as a true #5 starter that is capped at 150 innings in regular season, but can't expect someone to jump from 120 inning career up to 200+ innings without durability issues.
W
AG
Ag_07 said:

At this point just make the Houston Strong patch a permanent uniform piece.

The A's wear their stupid elephant patch.
the crossed my mind too --- Houston Strong patches should be making a comeback
tjack16
AG
Headed to the game tomorrow night Hopefully the flooding won't impact anything surrounding the game
Mathguy64
AG
Crap I hate days off. I want a celebration!
ClickClack
AG
I feel so weird not living in Houston anymore for the first time ever. Hope everything's not as bad as previous floods.
titanmaster_race
Maybe the Yankees will lose again tonight.

gambochaman
AG
Yankees Domingo German now put on administrative leave due to domestic violence case
aggiederelict
This could be huge. I wonder if he will be available come playoff time.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
aggiederelict said:

This could be huge. I wonder if he will be available come playoff time.

This ain't LSU
Mathguy64
AG
Yankees winning 6-1 B6. We should be thankful that the angels took one from them.
First Page Last Page
Page 1066 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.