***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,900,845 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Unemployed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What a let down. Start off series with a 15-0 win and then follow that up with two games of utter sht.
Silent For Too Long
I wouldnt call today's game utter ***** James had a bad outing, otherwise we win. It happens, and the As are hot right now. Hats off to them for battling back after we humiliated their ace and shut them down.

We should secure the split tomorrow.
CFTXAG10
AG
The real disappointment is that Urquidy tossed a gem and all it took was some fu**ery from the bullpen via Josh James to unravel it. I didn't expect Jose to keep it that close but when he did the bullpen should've had his back.
Unemployed
AG
Silent For Too Long said:

I wouldnt call today's game utter ***** James had a bad outing, otherwise we win. It happens, and the As are hot right now. Hats off to them for battling back after we humiliated their ace and shut them down.

We should secure the split tomorrow.
Scoring 3 runs is crappy no matter how you want to spin it.
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15
AG
This is not what I want to see right now
Johnsy3
AG
bearkatag15 said:

W said:

Teddy Perkins said:

Does Justice read this thread?

Here's why Bregman should be AL MVP

Quote:

"All these games matter to all these guys," Hinch said. "It's not an exhibition game. I have great respect for the guys who are doing it on teams not in contention. You shouldn't punish Mike Trout. At the same time, I think it's a notch in the favor of guys that are doing it with playoff pressure or playoff-chase pressure."

momentum is building for Bregman. Playing both SS & 3B is another feather in his cap

Keith Law doesn't agree
1. Trout does not have a higher AVG - .298 to .291
2. Trout's OBP isn't significantly higher - .438 to .417
3. Bregman has struck significantly less - 76 to 120

CFTXAG10
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I mean 2 of those were against a team that will end the season with 100 losses, and one that will have over 90, but yea between him and Morton it makes you wonder....
AggiEE
Got Hinched today, it happens. Mismanaged the starter and didn't pull James.

Huge blunders by Straw not executing, and Altuve taking too much risk on the basepaths.

Also, Reddout continues to show that he's a below average MLB hitter that doesn't deserve to be in the lineup on a regular basis. Him having two good games doesn't mean he's turned **** around and he's never been good in the playoffs. He is what we thought he was. Keep him on the playoff roster to ride the pine and cheerlead as Spider-Man in the dugout as a clubhouse leader, but take a chance that Tucker could rake. If he fails, oh well...no worse than Reddout.
the last of the bohemians
I feel like strikeouts difference between trout and Bregman is a big deal. One of the most impressive things about great hitters is when they can hit for power yet walk more than they strikeout. That's not common amongst sluggers
Farmer1906
AG
Go back and read why he was pulled.
bearkatag15
AG

Some great discussion on post season and X factors for Astros and Yankees
dshedd41
S
Grrrr....so close
Gig’em Aggies!
RC_57
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Farmer1906 said:

RC_57 said:

Urquidy's inning limit set by who?

And yes, he experienced one hard hit against, to close the inning.

But what would it hurt, to have somebody warming up in the evening, and have him start the following evening. He gets hit hard by one guy, maybe two, we're no worse off off than we are now

You keep bending your limits in the regular season then he's out of gas or Injured in the ALCS.

Our organization has orchestrated one of the best 3 year runs in modern baseball history. I trust them when they set limits and rest people. They have their reasons.

We need to keep throwing James I to the fire to show if he's ready for prime time. We need someone to step up and he's got great great stuff.
Here is what his innings limit looked like... he was already over

Interesting insight.

Thanks for sharing it

Also I need to wear my glasses. "evening "? Oops
Kashchei
AG
I'm tired of Trout winning MVP (almost) every year. Yes he puts up gaudy numbers, but he also plays on a team that goes nowhere every year. So the Angels lose 90 games a season instead of 100 because of him?

I know it's not his fault and it's nothing against him personally. I just think team performance should carry a lot more weight than it does.
The Milkman
AG
the last of the bohemians said:

I feel like strikeouts difference between trout and Bregman is a big deal. One of the most impressive things about great hitters is when they can hit for power yet walk more than they strikeout. That's not common amongst sluggers

They never walk more than they strikeout, whether they are a power hitter or contact. For career numbers Altuve isn't close. Ichiro wasn't close. I believe Pujols is the only active player with more career walks than Ks.

Bergman's line on that is amazing.
Silent For Too Long
A week ago some of you were clamoring for James to take over the closer roll and now using him in the 6th inning is Hinch mismanaging.

Urqeedy wasn't going to pitch more then 5 innings no matter what happened. The reasoning was made very clear.

Needed just a little more out of our bp and it came up short. It happens.
Ag_07
AG
Also worth noting that Hinch and Luhnow is using this final stretch to gather as much info as possible.

He's throwing James into the fire in high leverage situations, he's giving Straw a couple starts, he's throwing Abreu in there in tight spots.

He's testing guys and him and JL are going to use every piece of data they have to put together the best roster for the postseason.
Big Al 1992
AG
Magic number still 8
Frok
AG
This bullpen is a crapshoot right now. Bats are gonna need to be clutch late in games in October. That's how we won in 2017.

W
AG
Kashchei said:

I'm tired of Trout winning MVP (almost) every year. Yes he puts up gaudy numbers, but he also plays on a team that goes nowhere every year. So the Angels lose 90 games a season instead of 100 because of him?

I know it's not his fault and it's nothing against him personally. I just think team performance should carry a lot more weight than it does.
I would add that once Trout signed his contract for $35 MM per year...some of the Angels losing is his fault. Because his salary is limiting the Angels front office's ability to sign free agent pitchers to long-term deals (and they need 2 or 3 going forward to compete with the A's and Astros)

(and the same can be said for Pujols as well)
Deluxe
AG
The players are kinda in a tough spot right now with regard to salaries.

On the one hand, the MLBPA (right or wrong) feels like it's at war with the owners under the current CBA. Elite players feel compelled by fellow players to take the highest salaries possible and keep the players' revenue share escalating.

But for each extra dollar a player takes, it's one less dollar the team can spend to improve the team around them before the punitive luxury tax. So I agree it can perceived as selfish.

When JV signed his $33mm extension earlier this year (which set a new bar for contract AAV), he mentioned how important it was for him to help push the bar a little higher for future players' contracts...

Quote:

"It was something that was important to me," he said. "I thought it was very fair compensation, and also the way it affects future players' contracts in age-37, 38 seasons just helps push the boundary a little bit, which is something that's important to me."

What I'd be curious about is what JV would advise Cole to do this offseason. Like if Cole is trying to decide between a 6/$200 deal from the Padres and a 6/$185 deal (hypothetically) from the Astros. Obviously JV wants Cole as his teammate, but he also knows Cole has a chance to set a new bar for pitcher contracts. My guess is JV wants Cole to take the $$$ and advance the MLBPA cause, but I dunno.
iBrad
AG
Or they just say they took an absurd amount of money to help future players so that they don't seem as greedy. I mean, seriously, $33M per year to play a game? I think a lot of players have lost touch with reality.

As player salaries continue to rise, they are going to start pricing families out of attending games. But let's not worry about where that money is coming from. Let's focus on getting more money per game than the majority of households in this country bring in per year.
Gap
AG
Such altruism and nobility in taking as much money as you can get. Self interest is way down the list. Haha.

If you buy that, you might consider what political candidates are selling you and whether it is true.
Deluxe
AG
iBrad said:

Or they just say they took an absurd amount of money to help future players so that they don't seem as greedy. I mean, seriously, $33M per year to play a game? I think a lot of players have lost touch with reality.

As player salaries continue to rise, they are going to start pricing families out of attending games. But let's not worry about where that money is coming from. Let's focus on getting more money per game than the majority of households in this country bring in per year.
Agreed. I don't sympathize with the players at all. Was just outlining their well documented pov. I thought the "big 4" free agents this winter (Harper, Machado, Keuchel, Kimbrel) were just whiny b****es who were sad that they missed out on a free agent era when owners would overrule their front offices and write big checks for big names. That era is over.

I don't necessarily sympathize with the owners either. My "rooting" interest is making sure each team/front office has the right to optimize (in their sole discretion) quality of product on the field relative to cost. If that means guys like Keuchel aren't going to get 6/$90 type of deals anymore, that's no one's concern except his.

And JV is proof that if you evolve with the game and continuously produce at a high level, you can still get paid big money.
Deluxe
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Do you have similar posts about executive/CEO pay in virtually all american businesses? Presumably you are in favor of high taxes for the people making more than "the majority of households in this country bring in per year"?
Probably not on a MLB/Astros thread...
Ag_07
AG
These are problem for Jeff and Jim.

We as fans need to sit back and relish the fact that we get to watch a HOF pitcher take the mound for our team 3 days of the week.
Deluxe
AG
Ag_07 said:

Also worth noting that Hinch and Luhnow is using this final stretch to gather as much info as possible.

He's throwing James into the fire in high leverage situations, he's giving Straw a couple starts, he's throwing Abreu in there in tight spots.

He's testing guys and him and JL are going to use every piece of data they have to put together the best roster for the postseason.
These are problems for AJ/Jeff. You just need to sit back and enjoy watching a 100 win team.
Ag_07
AG
Well played
mazag08
AG
Quote:

Do you have similar posts about executive/CEO pay in virtually all american businesses? Presumably you are in favor of high taxes for the people making more than "the majority of households in this country bring in per year"?

One of the dumbest takes I've seen on this thread.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
iBrad said:

Definitely a hot take. Have never seen anything like it before.

Cynic
So generous of Ryan Sandberg to help the MLPA out.
spadilly
S
JV Day. Time to right the ship.
jkag89
iBrad said:

The numbers seem absurd but they are simply taking what someone is willing to pay them. Also based upon the slow pace of free agent signings the past couple of off-seasons and the fact the BoSox have fired Dave Dombrowski less than a season after winning the Series there seems to be some push back despite the Game currently being awash in cash.

Panama Red
AG
iBrad said:

So someone like Mike Trout should say "Mr. Moreno, I see in your newest deal you are making $100mm more per year just on the local TV contract, but this is just a game so I will take less money and let you keep all of that."

Talk about lost touch with reality.
First Page Last Page
Page 1027 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.