***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,911,916 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Charlie Conway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wrong hands
Farmer1906
AG
BigPuma said:

Harry Dunne said:

If Correa can hit 1 more we are almost certainly going to have 7 guys with 20 hr. Doubt that has been done in team history (8 if Chirinos can get hot and hit 5).

Crazy to think that 25 years ago Jeff Bagwell led the team with 39 in a strike shortened season

FIFY
'94 Bagwell was atop 20 all-time OPS record.
Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

BigPuma said:

Harry Dunne said:

If Correa can hit 1 more we are almost certainly going to have 7 guys with 20 hr. Doubt that has been done in team history (8 if Chirinos can get hot and hit 5).

Crazy to think that 25 years ago Jeff Bagwell led the team with 39 in a strike shortened season

FIFY
'94 Bagwell was atop 20 all-time OPS record.
I'm getting old.

Yes 35 years ago we had a bunch of guys built like distance runners and then 25 years ago Ken Caminiti turned everyone on to the secrets of heavy lifting.
Farmer1906
AG
Mr President Elect
AG
07ag said:

Prosperdick said:

Phrasing said:

Random question - what's the significance of this thing Bregman is doing this year with the arm extended with four fingers out?

Well he used to flash 3 fingers at the start of his career on his quest to hit .300 so I'm sure this just means he's ready to start shooting for .400 (last few games he's on pace!!)
my guess was he was saying "should've walked me"

This is my guess as well. Didn't he just start doing it around the time a team (Whitesox or Angels I think) intentionally walked Yordan and would pitch to him with an empty base. I think he hit a HR that game and that was the first I remembered seeing it. I think Blum or TK made mention of that when he did that.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
It's saying they should've walked him intentionally
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
40 years ago, Jose Cruz led the team with 9 home runs. The Astros hit 49 home runs FOR THE YEAR, and 4 of those were hit by pitchers - 2 each by Joaquin Andujar and JR Richard.

Rafael Landestoy (2B), Craig Reynolds (SS), and Jeoffrey Leonard combined to start 409 games and none of them hit a homer.
The Milkman
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

40 years ago, Jose Cruz led the team with 9 home runs. The Astros hit 49 home runs FOR THE YEAR, and 4 of those were hit by pitchers - 2 each by Joaquin Andujar and JR Richard.

Rafael Landestoy (2B), Craig Reynolds (SS), and Jeoffrey Leonard combined to start 409 games and none of them hit a homer.
Fun fact: JR Richard would give me batting tips when I was a kid and hitting balls in the back of Dromgooles typewriter shop. He was also where I first learned the phrase "rats ass".

Edit: As I reread that first sentence I realize now how strange it sounds. That could be from 1995 or 1935.
Post removed:
by user
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Aggie Pharmer
AG
Just saw on Reddit that the Academy in Pearland has the Apollo 11 caps. Can also be ordered online in either the fitted or snap back on the Academy website.
Farmer1906
AG
They're snapback and flex fit. The ones I saw didn't look all that great in-store. No flat bill either.
AgFan1999
AG
depending on the flex-fit, the flex fit hats will fit better than a size 8 in the fitted hats
Ag_07
AG
Just stopped on my way home and the Academy at 290 and 34tg has them but the snap back ones are Velcro and the fitted ones are the cheap (quality not price) kind with the elastic in them. It's not the nice fitted version you're thinking of.
ontheedge
Any word on Springer?
AgFan1999
AG
thank you for saving me a trip.
DVC2010
AG
Ag_07 said:

Just stopped on my way home and the Academy at 290 and 34tg has them but the snap back ones are Velcro and the fitted ones are the cheap (quality not price) kind with the elastic in them. It's not the nice fitted version you're thinking of.

Last time I was there, the team store had plenty of 5950s, but none of the low profile.
McInnis
AG
The home run comparison between this year's Astros and the 1979 team made me check on stolen bases. This season the Astros have stolen 51 bases with Jake in the lead with 10. In '79, seven players had more than 10 steals and the club total was 190. I'll bet just about any team you picked would show similar numbers. Just shows how much the game has changed.
spadilly
S
the last of the bohemians
Which begs the question, ... is base stealing the new money ball? More precise, walks + stolen bases could be undervalued players
McInnis
AG
Quote:

That's a great question. Should the OPS equation be modified to reflect extra bases that are stolen as well as result from batting? I think we're all hoping to see Miles Straw in the playoffs for good reason.
Harry Dunne
the last of the bohemians said:

Which begs the question, ... is base stealing the new money ball? More precise, walks + stolen bases could be undervalued players
The problem with stealing bases now with the HR surge is that you're risking an out when anyone in the lineup can go yard. It's not like sending a guy in the Dome era with Craig Reynolds batting and Terry Puhl on deck.

We could send out a full lineup of 20+ HR guys along with Reddick who once hit 30.
McInnis
AG
Yeah but in the playoffs there will be 2-1 games where no one is hitting home runs and an extra 90 ft. is a big deal. In the first game against the Brewers in the 7th our 8th inning when Alvarez got to second I was wishing Miles was available to pinch run for him.
agdaddy04
AG
bearkatag15 said:

And they're done. Magic number with As still at 15.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Myles
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
DVC2010 said:

Ag_07 said:

Last time I was there, the team store had plenty of 5950s, but none of the low profile.

I had a friend going to the game a week or so ago, said they would get me one. I told her exactly what I wanted, low profile 7 3/8 fitted. She texts she got it and I owe $25....I'm now the not so proud owner of a Velcro back Apollo 11 hat
Jackal99
AG
"She." There's your problem.
titanmaster_race
I will gladly buy that hat from you
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
titanmaster_race said:

I will gladly buy that hat from you

If I can find the one I want I'll take you up
Mr.Ackar07
Safe at Home said:

Yeah but in the playoffs there will be 13-12 games where everyone is hitting home runs and an extra 90 ft. is a big deal.
FIFY
BigPuma
AG
Harry Dunne said:

the last of the bohemians said:

The problem with stealing bases now with the HR surge is that you're risking an out when anyone in the lineup can go yard. It's not like sending a guy in the Dome era with Craig Reynolds batting and Terry Puhl on deck.

We could send out a full lineup of 20+ HR guys along with Reddick who once hit 30.
I read an article on the Athletic the other day that basically boiled the math down to a team has to have 3 successful steals for every caught stealing to see a positive benefit. Otherwise a team is just wasting outs.
Hulla Baller
AG
It's time to start a new winning streak!
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
So if you have a player with speed it makes sense to bat him in front of the people will less power, if you want to make stealing a part of your game.
Harry Dunne
Keeper of The Spirits said:

So if you have a player with speed it makes sense to bat him in front of the people will less power, if you want to make stealing a part of your game.
That has always been the basic school of thought, but on this team everyone can hit a HR.

Our C don't hit for average but they both have power. Reddout's power has declined, but he once hit 32 HR and still averages around 20 over his career per 162...and he's our 9 hole guy! Everyone else in our lineup would be three hole or cleanup guys for most teams, historically.

I read the same thing about the 75%+ SB% to make it worthwhile, and I believe that was before this latest power surge. The percentage is probably higher if you look at this year's numbers alone.

Back in the day it made sense to send a hitter with two outs and a guy up like Billy Hatcher or Rafael Ramirez that hit for pretty good average but didn't walk much and didn't have much power. You get CS and you still have a good hitter leading off the next inning, or you're successful and you can score on a single. Win-win.

We just don't have hitters like that on the team anymore, and we also don't have several guys stealing 30+ bases per season like we used to, so even the guys with speed aren't as good at stealing bases because they don't attempt it as often. I think Straw if he played in the 80s could steal 70 bases a season, but even with him it's not worth running him into an out most of the time.
First Page Last Page
Page 983 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.