***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,916,636 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Prosperdick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Quote:

"As the play was developing, I kind of told him I thought it was a strike, he told me he throught it was a ball," Verlander said. "We kind of went back and forth for just a little bit. I turned my back and expressed one more time that I didn't think it was outside. I probably could have had better language when I said that. But I'm turning my back to the situation, and I'm just trying to vent at this point. I never called (Hoberg) a name. I never said anything egregious toward him. I just expressed my displeasure with the call on the field. Unfortunately, he made the decision to (eject) me. I don't think it was the right call, personally. ... Maybe a little bit of an overreaction on both sides."

Although Verlander took part of the blame for the situation, he didn't think Hoberg handled his end properly.

"I understand these guys are humans too; they're back there doing their best job, but I think they're taught along the way to try to not escalate the situation, to de-escalate the situation," Verlander said. "Clearly, I was just venting my last little piece and turned my back. I didn't even know he had ejected me. I think everyone could have handled the situation a little bit better. I think those guys are supposed to be mediators in stuff like that and he was not."
Verlander after the ejection.
Absolute chicken**** to eject him while his back was turned. Shows how much of a p**** Hoberg is.
TREX01
If you go back and read my comment, I said consideration. Didn't say he was going to win it but he should get some serious votes
Farmer1906
AG
Depends on how you define consideration. He'll probably get a few votes, but you only need to be in someone's top 10 to get a vote. I doubt he'll get any top 3 or even top 5 votes.

Regardless, Yuli is the best 7 hole hitter of all time. (no stats or info to back this up)
Phrasing
AG
So besides Tucker, who else is getting called up in September?

Can teams really have 40 men active at one time? I read that next year there is a hard number of 28 active in Sept. Would we bring up more than that this year?
Farmer1906
AG
Extra arms
Harry Dunne
redline248 said:

Speaking of Reddick

So next time my kid is struggling with his hitting he's going to look at the ball with both eyes and pop the d0g**** out of a chair with a towel. Coaching baseball is easy.
redline248
AG
Harry Dunne said:

redline248 said:

Speaking of Reddick

So next time my kid is struggling with his hitting he's going to look at the ball with both eyes and pop the d0g**** out of a chair with a towel. Coaching baseball is easy.

...and always go back to hitting off a tee.

After I read that article I thought to myself, "whatever the Astros are paying their hitting coach, it's too much."
n_touch
n_touch
Quote:

After I read that article I thought to myself, "whatever the Astros are paying their hitting coach, it's too much."
He is doing better than the strength and conditioning coach
mazag08
AG
n_touch said:

Quote:

He is doing better than the strength and conditioning coach
And the massage coach.
Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Extra arms

What extra arms? Astros have none worth calling up.

Ok, that may be a slight exaggeration but when would you seriously give an inning to any of them except the flip side of last night?

Astros better ride this train til it's dead or do much better evaluating pitching prospects ASAP, because the cliff will be steep.
Farmer1906
AG
Marvin said:

Farmer1906 said:

Extra arms

Ok, that may be a slight exaggeration but when would you seriously give an inning to any of them except the flip side of last night?

Astros better ride this train til it's dead or do much better evaluating pitching prospects ASAP, because the cliff will be steep.
Sure we do. Lets not tax our bullpen right before the playoffs. There are plenty of situations that make sense to use Sneed, Armenteros, & Valdez.
Ag_07
AG
Since we started this recent run the only pitching prospect we've used as a key part is LMJ.

We've built one of the best rotations ever and it doesn't include one home grown prospect.

Keep hitting on position players and build the rotation on solid trades and smart FA signings. Yeah it would pretty nice if Whitley and a couple others pan out but with the way they identify FAs and make trades I don't think it's a must.
Baseball-Junkie
Marvin said:

Farmer1906 said:

Extra arms

The sky is falling... Come on, man. The last few years, have been offense dictated (league wide. ball, air, whatever) years and what some prospect is doing in the minors -- has no true bearing on the future. If you don't trust Luhnow at this point, I really don't know what to say to you.
Marvin
AG
Did I say the sky was falling?
Farmer1906
AG
How many pitching prospects have we flipped?

Fields (Yordan), Franklin Perez (JV), Marco Duarte (Marwin), Musgrove & Michael Feliz (Cole), Jorge Alcala (Pressly), Jarred Cosart (Jake, Moran, etc), Giles, David Paulino, & Hector Perez (Osuna), P Trent Thornton (Diaz), Albert Abreu & Jorge Guzman (McCann), Vince Velasquez, Mark Appel, Brett Oberholtzer, Tom Eshelman & Harold Arauz (Giles), and I could continue.

My point is, we use so many of our pitching prospects to bring in other talents. Jeff seems to win a bunch of these deals. We will eventually need to hit on a few homegrown types to keeps payroll down, but this is not make or breaking us right now.
Farmer1906
AG
Marvin said:

Does anyone ever actually say the sky is falling?
Marvin
AG
Ag_07 said:

Since we started this recent run the only pitching prospect we've used as a key part is LMJ.

We've built one of the best rotations ever and it doesn't include one home grown prospect.

Keep hitting on position players and build the rotation on solid trades and smart FA signings. Yeah it would pretty nice if Whitley and a couple others pan out but with the way they identify FAs and make trades I don't think it's a must.

That's a fair point, and I agree with it. That said, we traded pitching prospects for some of those stars. Maybe that's just created a gap in the system now and the organization has good pitching coming up through the ranks. My point is that, whatever the reason, the talent is not there now.
Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Marvin said:

Does anyone ever actually say the sky is falling?

Well actually someone just did.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Farmer1906
AG
Marvin said:

Ag_07 said:

That's a fair point, and I agree with it. That said, we traded pitching prospects for some of those stars. Maybe that's just created a gap in the system now and the organization has good pitching coming up through the ranks. My point is that, whatever the reason, the talent is not there now.
Do we need a bunch of talent there.

We have our rotation of Verlander, Greinke, McCullers, and Sanchez locked for 2020 and 2021. We basically need to sign 1 FA or have 1 prospect pan out. That gives us 2 years to draft, develop, or trade,
Baseball-Junkie

Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Fields (Yordan), Franklin Perez (JV), Marco Duarte (Marwin), Musgrove & Michael Feliz (Cole), Jorge Alcala (Pressly), Jarred Cosart (Jake, Moran, etc), Giles, David Paulino, & Hector Perez (Osuna), P Trent Thornton (Diaz), Albert Abreu & Jorge Guzman (McCann), Vince Velasquez, Mark Appel, Brett Oberholtzer, Tom Eshelman & Harold Arauz (Giles), and I could continue.

My point is, we use so many of our pitching prospects to bring in other talents. Jeff seems to win a bunch of these deals. We will eventually need to hit on a few homegrown types to keeps payroll down, but this is not make or breaking us right now.

Agreed. Gotta trade talent to get talent, and so far Luhnow has been great at betting on the sure thing over potential. It helps with that strategy to have money to spend, of course. My comment was directed more at the lack of league-ready talent given all those trades. Has there been one arm called up that's been even average? I'd check the stats but I know you've probably already posted it, haha. My guess is not.

My issue with any call-ups has more to do with remaining/available Round Rock talent than Luhnow's evaluation abilities. He's proven to have that in spades.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
bearkatag15
AG

Sneed still racking up those frequent flyer miles...
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Ag_07
AG
Speaking of pitching prospects not panning out...Mark Appel is making news in the Houston fast food business

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/08-28-19-ikes-love-and-sandwiches-houston-heights-mark-appel-/
Quote:

the shop is a partnership between Ike Shehadeh, company founder and face behind the brand, and former Major League Baseball pitcher Mark Appel, who's a Houston native. (He also signed with the Astros' and played in the club's minor league.) Both will be on hand on opening day to greet guests and share their excitement about opening Ike's in H-Town. Look for Shehadeh from 10 am to 5 pm, and Appel from 11 am to 3 pm.

"I'm thrilled to bring my favorite sandwich chain to my hometown," said Appel in a press release announcing the opening. "This location marks the third store Ike and I have opened together. Now, my family and friends can experience these amazing sandwiches within reach here in Houston."
Mathguy64
AG
So it took 2 games to break Peacock?
Baseball-Junkie
Ag_07 said:

Speaking of pitching prospects not panning out...Mark Appel is making news in the Houston fast food business

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/08-28-19-ikes-love-and-sandwiches-houston-heights-mark-appel-/
Quote:

the shop is a partnership between Ike Shehadeh, company founder and face behind the brand, and former Major League Baseball pitcher Mark Appel, who's a Houston native. (He also signed with the Astros' and played in the club's minor league.) Both will be on hand on opening day to greet guests and share their excitement about opening Ike's in H-Town. Look for Shehadeh from 10 am to 5 pm, and Appel from 11 am to 3 pm.

"I'm thrilled to bring my favorite sandwich chain to my hometown," said Appel in a press release announcing the opening. "This location marks the third store Ike and I have opened together. Now, my family and friends can experience these amazing sandwiches within reach here in Houston."

I am never a guy to talk about privilege or any of that other BS. With that said, Mark made it. He got drafted, to live his dream and then to have instant clout in the business world. We should all fail so badly.
12law
AG
Ag_07 said:

Quote:

Good for him! But the article did whiff here. He was never a major league pitcher.
bearkatag15
AG
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
12law
AG
Farmer1906 said:

We got some really good players for a whole bunch of mediocrity. Wow, what a great job by Luhnow to bring in all that talent. When Giles is by far the best pitcher we traded on this list, that's saying something. JV, Cole, Pressly, and Yordan for nothing more than middle of the road pitching prospects. Whoa...
Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

Marvin said:

Ag_07 said:

We have our rotation of Verlander, Greinke, McCullers, and Sanchez locked for 2020 and 2021. We basically need to sign 1 FA or have 1 prospect pan out. That gives us 2 years to draft, develop, or trade,
Don't get me wrong I'm hopeful and he's obviously got the talent, but Sanchez still has a lot to prove. He's far from "locked in" to anything (except his contract).
Farmer1906
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Farmer1906 said:

Marvin said:

Ag_07 said:

Don't get me wrong I'm hopeful and he's obviously got the talent, but Sanchez still has a lot to prove. He's far from "locked in" to anything (except his contract).

True. But we have 1-3 locked in then with a reasonable option for #4. Then we have the entire FA class and minor leagues to find 1 to 2 spots in the back end of a loaded top end rotation to go along with our GOAT line up.
MelvinUdall
Anyway re-sign Miley to a reasonable deal?
Farmer1906
AG
It's possible but I would guess someone offers him more like Tampa did with CFM.
MelvinUdall
Harry Dunne said:

redline248 said:

Speaking of Reddick

Actually that is a great drill, along with the tee work. Not suggesting it would have the same impact for a kid, but for someone that is an MLB player that is just missing by a fraction of an inch, it makes a huge impact to basically go back to basics.
MelvinUdall
Farmer1906 said:

It's possible but I would guess someone offers him more like Tampa did with CFM.

Given his lack of velocity, I wonder if that is the case. If, and I know big if, you could get him for 2 years $24 million, that just might be a great deal for the Astros.
First Page Last Page
Page 945 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.