***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,900,391 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
rosco511
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Frok said:

I think if we win it all it will be the bats coming through like they did in 2017. There will be some high scoring playoff games this year the way the league has been.

Correa's back is the thing that worries me the most.

It will be both. You need bats and pitching to come through, and some luck, to win it all. That is why playoff baseball is such a roll of the dice. Even the "favorites" have at best a 20% to win it all when entering the post season.
Ag12thman
AG
Hope you're right.
bearkatag15
AG

This Cy Young race will be fun to watch
Poot
What's the deal with James? He done for the year? Perhaps I missed something.
Teddy Perkins
AG
He's expected back in early September.
CFTXAG10
AG
iBrad
AG
I know Lynn has had a good season, but how in the hell does he have a higher WAR than Cole and Verlander? Baseball Reference pitching WAR is even worse, with Minor leading the pack. Just makes it seem like a useless stat.
Silent For Too Long
iBrad said:

I know Lynn has had a good season, but how in the hell does he have a higher WAR than Cole and Verlander? Baseball Reference pitching WAR is even worse, with Minor leading the pack. Just makes it seem like a useless stat.

I was wondering that too. Does being on a ****ty team inflate your WAR in some way?
bearkatag15
AG
A's still up on the Yankees 5-2 in top of the 8th.

Dodgers down 2-0 to Toronto in top of 7th

Dodgers actually have just 1 hit. Maeda got the 1 hit...
bearkatag15
AG
Something called a Waguespack is through 7 innings vs LA and has only given up a hit to the Dodgers starting pitcher.

He's at 95 pitches after 7 and 1st up in the 8th to bat so of coarse he is pulled for a pinch hitter because NL baseball...
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
AggiEE
bearkatag15 said:

Pitching matchups for Yankees Dodgers this weekend.

Big series for Houston

Whoever loses....we win
bearkatag15
AG
Gotta root for a sweep for LA.
W
AG
regarding the nature of the playoffs...

the last 3 world champions have been 100-win teams...the Cubs, Astros, and Red Sox.

been several years since an underdog team won the championship. The regular season has been a good indicator of playoff advancement in this new one-true-outcome / home run / analytics era
W
AG
well, the Astros needed the Yankees to have a bad week to 10 days of baseball and NYY is cooperating.

the A's have had a great week: 6-1 vs. Houston and New York
AggiEE
bearkatag15 said:

Gotta root for a sweep for LA.

That's definitely what I'd prefer but I ain't mad if the opppsite is true. I actually think I'd rather have the Yanks lose the series but it's not a sweep
bearkatag15
AG
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

Something called a Waguespack
Our old punter?
linkdude
AG
I was listening to the latest release of the Effectively Wild podcast today, and apparently there is a component to strength of teams faced to BBRef WAR for pitching. So Lynn would get a slight boost for facing a monster team like the Astros which Cole and Verlander cannot get by definition.

Edit, for further reference: https://www.baseball-reference.com/about/war_explained_pitch.shtml
bearkatag15
AG
Dodgers score 3 in bottom of the 9th to walk it off
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
bearkatag15 said:

I literally hate the dodgers
Jackal99
AG
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

bearkatag15 said:

I literally hate the dodgers

**** Tommy Lasorda and those other a**holes.
Agnzona
Ag_07 said:

I think if we played to win every game we'd be broken down and beat to shlt way before August

The babying of MLB players had made them weaker not stronger. That's an indisputable fact. When clubs are going to get over fear of injury and stop making it worse I don't know. You would think in this age of analytics they would know this.
Farmer1906
AG
Agnzona said:

Ag_07 said:

I think if we played to win every game we'd be broken down and beat to shlt way before August

The babying of MLB players had made them weaker not stronger. That's an indisputable fact. When clubs are going to get over fear of injury and stop making it worse I don't know. You would think in this age of analytics they would know this.

You would think. Geez. Who the hell is running this team?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I hope all you scoreboard watchers cheering on yankee losses are watching the red hot athletics zoom into the wild card fir a potential first round series with us, seems like a good case of be careful what you wish for
astros4545
AG
We are 10-5 against the As this year
Farmer1906
AG
Are they better than cleveland? Tampa?
Ag_07
AG
So we're scared of the As now?
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Anyone have video of the Reddick catch at the end?
Frok
AG
The team I would least want to play in the first round is Tampa.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Nevermind found the Reddick highlight on the Youtube recap.

Also John Hicks can wear one the next time we play them for that piece of **** bat flip. I know this will rile some of you, I support his right to flip bats just like I support our right for a clean beanball (Below the shoulders on the first pitch)
Farmer1906
AG
Hitting someone for a bat flip is incredibly stupid. Don't be so easily offended.
Frok
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Nevermind found the Reddick highlight on the Youtube recap.

Also John Hicks can wear one the next time we play them for that piece of **** bat flip. I know this will rile some of you, I support his right to flip bats just like I support our right for a clean beanball (Below the shoulders on the first pitch)

He plays for the Tigers so personal accomplishment is the only thing to play for at this point. So I'd give him a break.

He sure did crush that though.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
He mashed that ****ing ball and you are right the dude plays for the Tigers and bats below the Mendoza line so that is punishment but I like the unwritten rules of baseball and the enforcement or lack of enforcement. The better move would be to get him out then chirp at him a little
iBrad
AG
Agnzona said:

Ag_07 said:

The analytics is a big factor in why teams rest players. Your mindset sounds like the old football coaches that thought water made you weak. Getting worn down does not make you stronger. It makes you worn down.

Another factor at play is drug testing. Players are no longer popping amphetamines like they're candy. It wasn't just steroids that had an impact on the game. Greenies we're increasing performance long before players looked like body builders.

And lastly, salaries play a big part, as well. Teams want to make sure their high dollar players are actually on the field and producing. Front offices are a lot more concerned about player health because of the investments they're making in players.

I think this season has served as an indisputable fact that we are a better team with our stars on the field, which is why the organization is going to do what they can to keep them healthy, especially for October.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Ag_07 said:

So we're scared of the As now?
They beat us 3 out of 4 and then swept the Yankees. Only other team to sweep NY this season was the Astros back in early April.

Oakland is 24-12 since the All-Star break.

Don't have to be scared of a team to recognize they are playing extremely well headed towards the post-season.
First Page Last Page
Page 916 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.