***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,889,432 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Frok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lol, these upsets happen every day in baseball. What a ridiculous headline.
W
AG
ultimately this is why the Astros need to finish with the best record in the American League. So potential ALCS games 6 and 7 are at MMP...where the good guys get the last at-bat.

a home run prone closer in Yankee Stadium is a disaster waiting to happen
W
AG
checking in with the AL Central...

the Indians won 3 of 4 in their showdown series with the Twins. Both teams tied for 1st place.

the Tribe have the Red Sox and Yankees this week. Minnesota plays at the Brewers and Rangers
expresswrittenconsent
Frok said:

Lol, these upsets happen every day in baseball. What a ridiculous headline.
the story backs up the claim in the headline. but the article is about gambling odds for the game, and not (as you correctly point out) that good teams lose to bad teams all the time.
BMX Bandit
The article is spot on. Did you even read it?
Frok
AG
When someone is referring to upsets they aren't speaking in gambling odds. They are referring to highly improbable outcomes. Yesterday's outcome was not highly improbable.
BMX Bandit
Frok said:

When someone is referring to upsets they aren't speaking in gambling odds. They are referring to highly improbable outcomes. Yesterday's outcome was not highly improbable.
the article is specifically talking about gambling odds.

And I've never heard anyone define "upset" as "highly improbable outcome"
Bonfired
AG
The strike that did what two world wars and a great depression couldn't, cancel a World Series, began 25 years ago today. I still have my 1994 wall calendar with the Braves @ Astros mid-September series written on it...was shaping up to be an important one.

Doesn't seem possible it's been a quarter century now.
AgDoc03
AG
Bonfired said:

The strike that did what two world wars and a great depression couldn't, cancel a World Series, began 25 years ago today. I still have my 1994 wall calendar with the Braves @ Astros mid-September series written on it...was shaping up to be an important one.

Doesn't seem possible it's been a quarter century now.

I'm still pissed we didn't get to see what Bagwell's final numbers would've looked like.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
expresswrittenconsent
Frok said:

Getting a little out over your skis now, huh doc?
3B Paul 97
AG
He had just broken his hand, so I'm not sure he would have played many more regular season games.
rosco511
AG
3B Paul 97 said:

He had just broken his hand, so I'm not sure he would have played many more regular season games.

This. Bagwell likely does not win MVP that year had strike not happened because might have missed rest of season because of broken hand.
AgDoc03
AG
That's right. I couldn't remember if that was one of the years he broke his hand or not. Good points
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bearkatag15
AG
Apparently rain is expected tonight. Steve Sparks on the radio saying the forecast is "brutal" on the radio just now.

bearkatag15
AG
Yankees have a chance to grab a 1 game lead today with a double header vs Baltimore.
Post removed:
by user
safety guy
AG
Jeff Bagwell is the only person who benefitted from the strike. Would not have won the mvp and winning the mvp bolstered his hall of fame candidacy.
Farmer1906
AG
n_touch
Must be the pine tar on the bats.
Frok
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Frok said:

Getting a little out over your skis now, huh doc?

I guess so. I concede
MAROON
AG
Mr President Elect
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Apparently rain is expected tonight. Steve Sparks on the radio saying the forecast is "brutal" on the radio just now.

I am going to assume that means no game tonight. Which means a probable double header tomorrow or Wed. With no upcomming off days, I guess we will bring up a sixth starter either for the double header or next time through the rotation, to keep everyone on normal rest.
CFTXAG10
AG
Mr.Ackar07
CFTXAG10 said:

Can someone remind me why our interleague "rivalry" switched from the Rockies to the Diamondbacks for 2020?
bearkatag15
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

The last 2 series of the season should be very big
CFTXAG10
AG
July 4th game in the nations capital
agdaddy04
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

CFTXAG10 said:

Can someone remind me why our interleague "rivalry" switched from the Rockies to the Diamondbacks for 2020?

Probably because I just moved to Denver.

But according to Wikipedia the DBacks replaces the Rangers as our rival in 2017.
Deluxe
AG
I like that we're at Minn in August. Tired of playing up there in April.
Daddy-O5
AG
SIAP

The Milkman
AG
I think a trip up to Minneapolis for that weekend may be in store for the Milkman and Milkmaid
Harry Dunne
Frok said:

As far as baseball games go (with heavy underdogs winning far more often than in other sports), yesterday's outcome was still as improbable as they get.
Deluxe
AG
Yea that's the thing. Was the Orioles beating us improbable in the grand scheme of things? Not necessarily. Was it improbable relative to all other baseball games that have been played in the last 100 years? Absolutely.
AgFan1999
AG
Wasn't it the Dodgers one year?
redline248
AG
Pahdz
Deluxe said:

I like that we're at Minn in August. Tired of playing up there in April.

You're f'ing telling me! I finally get a weekend series AND mid summer Minnesota weather for the Stros
First Page Last Page
Page 827 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.