***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,922,480 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Buck Compton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Prosperdick said:

W said:

the Astros (75-40) are at Camden Yards to face the Orioles (38-76) for the second time this season.

strangely enough...the O's played the 'stros tough at MMP back in June. The Astros won 2 of 3 and only outscored Baltimore 9 runs to 7 in the series.

however...Fisher, White, Kemp, Stubbs, and Super Jack combined for 31 at-bats in that series. They will combine for zero at-bats this weekend.

Astros should score 25 to 30 runs vs. the O's this time around
Would love to know how many hits they had in those 31 at-bats.

Game 1, 4-3 win in 11 innings
Fisher: 0-3, 2 BB, 1 K
White: 1-3, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 R
Kemp: 1-4, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 2 RBI
Stubbs: DNP
Mayfield: DNP

Game 2, 1-4 loss by the bullpen
Fisher: 1-3, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 R
White (PH): 0-1, 0 BB, 1 K
Kemp: 0-3, 0 BB, 0 K
Stubbs: 1-3, 0 BB, 0 K
Mayfield: 0-2, 0 BB, 0 K

Game 3, 4-0 win
Fisher: 0-4, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 R, 1 SB
White: DNP
Kemp: 1-2, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 CS
Stubbs: DNP
Mayfield: 0-3, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 error (led to a run)

Combined:
5-31 (.161), 5 BB (.278 OBP), 1 HR, 2 RBI, 4 R, 8 K
1 SB, 1 CS, 1 error (led to run)

Pretty bad. Pretty much all of that production came from Fisher and Kemp though.
tjack16
AG
Well there's a reason those guys aren't on the roster anymore ... besides Stubbs
W
AG
a couple of more notes on Keuchel's start last night courtesy of the Atlanta-Journal-Constitution:

"The 31-year-old generated just seven swinging strikes out of 82 pitches. He relied mostly on his two-seamer and cutter (67 pitches), which registered only two swinging strikes each. Opponents posted an average exit velocity of 104.8 against his 28 cutters. His change-up was effectively useless, resulting in one strike on nine throws."

"There's plenty of time to sort himself out before October. And if the eye-test is of any value, Keuchel has outpitched his numbers. But there are reasons for concern, including a massive dropoff in strikeout percentage on his cutter (17 to 6) from a season ago."

-------------
this may have been what concerned the Astros' front office.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/baseball/dallas-keuchel-ripped-apart-braves-loss-marlins/drWM3wKWHxrKaWk9jmjTQL/#
Ag_07
AG
tjholley16 said:

Well there's a reason those guys aren't on the roster anymore ... besides Stubbs

You rang?

titanmaster_race
W said:

a couple of more notes on Keuchel's start last night courtesy of the Atlanta-Journal-Constitution:

"The 31-year-old generated just seven swinging strikes out of 82 pitches. He relied mostly on his two-seamer and cutter (67 pitches), which registered only two swinging strikes each. Opponents posted an average exit velocity of 104.8 against his 28 cutters. His change-up was effectively useless, resulting in one strike on nine throws."

"There's plenty of time to sort himself out before October. And if the eye-test is of any value, Keuchel has outpitched his numbers. But there are reasons for concern, including a massive dropoff in strikeout percentage on his cutter (17 to 6) from a season ago."

-------------
this may have been what concerned the Astros' front office.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/baseball/dallas-keuchel-ripped-apart-braves-loss-marlins/drWM3wKWHxrKaWk9jmjTQL/#

To be fair, Keuchel has never been a strikeout pitcher. He doesn't pitch for swinging strikes. He pitches to contact.
tjack16
AG
Yep... they were all expendable players to ship off or to make room for better players
Mathguy64
AG
To be fair to that group, as fill ins for the injuries they more than held their own.
Ag_07
AG
Couple of things from that article

Quote:

"For myself, I didn't see myself going 3-2/3," said Keuchel, who prides himself on eating innings. "But stuff happens. Sometimes you get your butt beat. That's why you have four other starters to pick up some slack when this thing happens."

Sounds about right from him. Instead of saying 'I sucked. I need to be better. I can't perform like that' he goes into the other guys needing to pick him up. Could you imagine JV or Cole saying something like this? Jeez...I'd be pissed if I was in a rotation and another pitcher said this.

Quote:

He relied mostly on his two-seamer and cutter (67 pitches), which registered only two swinging strikes each. Opponents posted an average exit velocity of 104.8 against his 28 cutters. His change-up was effectively useless, resulting in one strike on nine throws.

A ground-ball aficionado, Keuchel allowed three homers. Brian Anderson a fellow Arkansas product - was responsible for two, plastering a two-seamer and cutter.

WTF? Did he just forget everything Strom taught him? I was curious so I looked at his pitch usage from 2018 to 2019

2018/2019
FB
53.1/54

SL
18.1/9.9

CT
15.9/24.5

CU
12.9/11.5
titanmaster_race
He literally said "I got my butt beat"

You're looking real hard at that quote for something that's probably not there.
titanmaster_race
Keuchel did seem to have a habit of deflecting responsibility when he was in Houston though.
Ag_07
AG
Just seems like an odd thing to say.

I don't think I've heard a pitcher deflect to the other 4 when he has a bad outing.
AgDoc03
AG
Pressly officially activated off IL
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Beat40
Ag_07 said:

Just seems like an odd thing to say.

I don't think I've heard a pitcher deflect to the other 4 when he has a bad outing.
He literally said he got is butt beat.

I don't think his comment is odd. He's saying the other guys are capable of picking him up. I've heard from several Astros in the past, "man, person XXXX picked me up."

Look, he deflected here in Houston, and I get that there is ill will toward him, but I don't think he said anything wrong there. To sum up, "I got my butt beat, but there are four other guys to pick the team up when I mess up."

It's the same concept as when commentators made comments last year about the guys in our rotation saying we had 5 stoppers. We aren't going to let one bad start slide long because the next guy can right the ship.
Deluxe
AG
AggiEE said:

Safe at Home said:

I just checked and all of Kuechel's eight runs in his 3.2 innings were earned.

If we don't sign Cole in the off-season, should we get Keuchel on a 2/12M deal?

Maybe our analytics department can turn him around
It is interesting that signing Keuchel would probably cost us much less than it would cost to retain Miley this offseason. But after his holdout cost us a comp draft pick, I have a feeling that bridge has been burned to ash.
bearkatag15
AG

Should hurt the Twins in the central.
BigPuma
AG
Stros activated Pressly (officially now)
W
AG
the Twins are on the verge of a fairly epic collapse. Had an 11-game lead on the Indians at one point in June. It's down to 1 game.

Minnesota has feasted on the Royals, Tigers, White Sox, Mariners, and Orioles

Farmer1906
AG

Indians are 25-8 since June 30th while the Twins are 17-16.
Mathguy64
AG
Since July 12, Cleveland has played us (losing 2/3) and the Twins (losing 2/3). The rest has been bottom feeders. In the same span the Twins have played Cleveland, NYM, NYY, Oakland, Atlanta plus a couple of bottom teams. Its all about the schedule.
bearkatag15
AG
The Milkman
AG
N_touch if you get another case in and sell some more mugs let us know. Would love to get a couple as gifts.
CFTXAG10
AG
Doesn't get old seeing the reigning AL Player of the Month in the 7-hole
n_touch
Trying to figure out what I have now. A client took the last of mine for their order. If I can get enough for another case I will.
jkag89
shano0603 said:

AstroAggie15 said:

shano0603 said:

jkag89 said:

bullard21k said:

Prosperdick said:

Teddy Perkins said:

Hi.
Am I the only one who noticed Michelle in the background and wished she was in focus, I bet she looks hot in those tight black pants. Poor Julia is probably feeling the heat.

Julia feeling the heat of what? Not being to complete sentences and overall sounding like a complete moron 95% of the time?
Julia is plenty hot just in looks, the fact she knows baseball makes Julia >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> whoever the scrub is when she gets days off.

Julia and hot should never be said in the same sentence. She's not that attractive.

1. Apologize
2. Go put your rangers hat back on from 2010

1. No, sip lover.
2. Ever call me a rangers fan again and I'll slit your throat. 2. Don't care if she went to t.u., if she was constantly blathering about it maybe but she is too much of a professional
1. Redheads that love the Game (or at least professional enough to learn about it in detail) are hot in my book. Of course I'm old, so what do I know.
2. Does she blather on endlessly about being a sippie? Nope, in fact until it was brought up on TexAgs I did not realize she was one. Only once in a blue moon does it even get mentioned on broadcasts and even more rarely by Julia..
titanmaster_race
I got my Astros tumbler in today. Looks fantastic. Thanks for doing these!

Is there anywhere I can leave your business a glowing review?
redline248
AG
Has the game started yet?
W
AG
small crowd at Camden Yards tonight
redline248
AG
I love these uniforms
W
AG
great oppo hitting down the line by AB
JABQ04
AG
Bregs seems like he's getting it going again!
astros4545
AG
Sounds like 50% astros fans in attendence
Kashchei
AG
I literally love Yordan Alvarez
W
AG
9-pitch at-bat for Yordan leads to a RBI single dropped into RF
AggiEE
Yordan is such a good hitter

Not trying to do too much depending on the count
W
AG
Bundy approaching 30 pitches in the 1st inning.

gonna get in the Oriole pen by the 4th or 5th
First Page Last Page
Page 803 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.