***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,888,882 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
W said:

are the Giants going to sell?

have been hot lately and moved to within 2 games in the loss column of the last NL wildcard

They should

Especially if they think MadBum will walk for nothing over the off-season anyways.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Given the last 2 years of results, I think Whitley gets dealt before Tucker does. I know he's supposed to be a stud, but the kid has high draft bust written all over him. That being said, I think you only give him up for someone with at least 2 yrs of control remaining (like Syndergaard or Boyd). 1 yr of control or a rental isn't enough to part with a top level prospect.
Wabs
AG
I really like Luis Castillo from the Reds. May be able to get him without giving up Tucker or Whitley.
Ag_07
AG
What I wish would happen...Stud #2/3 type pitcher (MadBum, Bauer, Thor) and a sneaky under rated starting pitcher addition on the cheap (Think Mike Fiers or Ryan Pressly type deal)

My prediction...We add one decent starter like a maybe a Caleb Smith type and maybe a backup catcher or lefty BP arm.

One thing to think about is how whoever we add matches up with the Yankees. They're a heavy RH lineup so do we really want to add a LHP?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
For some reason I feel like all closers seem to be this way. But like someone said he atleast can turn it back on and bear down when it gets close again.
tjack16
AG
W said:

are the Giants going to sell?

have been hot lately and moved to within 2 games in the loss column of the last NL wildcard

They should only if teams are willing to throw in a player that could be on their MLB roster and not just prospects. Like a tony Kemp/Marisnick type (not saying we should trade Jake away)

This type of trade would benefit the Giants.
Astros receive: MadBum
Giants Receice: prospect A, Tony kemp/Max Stassi, prospect B
Mathguy64
AG
The Giants will be a deadline decision either way. 2.5 games out in the NL with so many teams at .500 means you have to stay in the chase. It's crappy but you are stuck and have to give it a shot. If that's where they are in a week MadBum isn't going anywhere.
Ag_07
AG
Would we be OK to throw in top tier talent for MadBum if the Giants were to include a RP like Sam Dyson or Tony Watson?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ag_07 said:

Would we be OK to throw in top tier talent for MadBum if the Giants were to include a RP like Sam Dyson or Tony Watson?
Not sam dyson, tony watson maybe. Dyson seemed to melt down in the post season.
Ag_07
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Ag_07 said:

Not sam dyson, tony watson maybe. Dyson seemed to melt down in the post season.

Not really.

In 2 playoff series with TEX (both ALDS) he had 4.2 IP with an ERA of 1.93 with 1 ER (a solo HR). WHIP is a bit high at 1.5.

Better than I expected tough.

Looks like his troubles came in the begining of that 2017 season where he had an ERA over 10. Since then he's had ERAs of 2.69 in 2018 (3.47 FIP) and 2.63 in 2019 (2.64 FIP).
W
AG
Wabs said:

I really like Luis Castillo from the Reds. May be able to get him without giving up Tucker or Whitley.
the Reds are an interesting trade partner. They have several decent arms (beside Castillo) and a decent catcher. Most of them would be controllable and not the break the bank (prospect-wise in return)
W
AG
Deluxe said:

It's not surprising at all to me that Giles would turn things around pitching in a no pressure environment where the games don't matter. Feel bad for the team that picks him up thinking he'll be able to help for a playoff run.
ditto for Sonny Gray. He's having a good season for the Reds in a no-pressure environment
Teddy Perkins
AG
Ag_07
AG
D-Day for Kemp I'm guessing

Sucks because I really like him and seems like he was always giving 100%
AgFan1999
AG
Betting you see a trade go down in the next week where Kemp is one of the players involved.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Top ten trade targets per CBS.

1. Stroman
2. Robbie Ray
3. MadBum
4. Boyd
5. Will Smith
6. Thor
7. Minor
8. Wheeler
9. Diekman
10. Tony Watson
Teddy Perkins
AG

Lineup taking it to 11.
Mr.Bond
AG
Tony

Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Ag_07
AG
Gonna be sick

Springer - RF
Altuve- 2B
Bregman - 3B
Brantley - LF
Alvarez - DH
Correa - SS
Yuli - 1B
Reddick - RF
Chrinios - C
Andyzipp
AG
Ag_07 said:

By the end of the week, probably. But, the most likely to get sent down today will be Rogelio or Urquidy.

Rotation sets up Cole, Miley, Verlander, OFF DAY, Rogelio or Urquidy for the next five. The Astros won't need a 5th starter again until August 11th.
Ag_07
AG
But sending down either of those 2 doesn't make room on the 40 man.

We need a spot on the 40 man for Diaz right?
the last of the bohemians
Doesn't Alravez need some position time to be ready for World Series road games?
AgFan1999
AG
Corbin is still listed on the 10 day IL, so he'll be moved to the 60 day. Correa and McCullers are currently on the 60 day. If Martin is moved to the 60 day, that'll put the 40 man at 39 until Friday.
Andyzipp
AG
Ag_07 said:

But sending down either of those 2 doesn't make room on the 40 man.

We need a spot on the 40 man for Diaz right?
Diaz was never removed from the 40 man, so he's still on it.
Ag_07
AG
Ah...Ok that makes it easy then.
Mathguy64
AG
Ag_07 said:

Straw will go down first I think. Thats the easiest move to make. When Correa comes back something will have to happen.
Marvin
AG
I must be missing someone because I only count 39 on the 40-man. I looked at Baseball Reference and MLB.com and both have the 25 active (including Urquidy and Armenteros), plus the following:

10-day IL:
Peacock
Diaz
Martin

40-man but not active:
Rodgers
Abreu
Perez
Deetz
Fisher
Stubbs
Mayfield
Tucker
Guduan
Valdez
Sneed

That's 39... with Correa and LMJ on the 60-day.

I'm going to feel really stupid if there's an obvious miss here...

Ag_07
AG
I've heard chatter that Straw will go down but why?

He's more productive and more of a weapon than Kemp.

At this point Kemp is dead weight. Does nothing for us. He's just as bad as White was.
Deluxe
AG
Yea, I think we maneuver to keep Kemp (assuming he's not part of a deal).

I think Straw goes down for the month of August and then is back up immediately when rosters expand. Might not be a bad thing because he'll get to play everyday. And we should be better able to go with 12 pitchers in August since we'll presumably have another starter that can get us deep into a game. That leaves a spot open for Kemp.
Mathguy64
AG
With both Diaz and Correa, Straw isn't needed on the IF or OF. That doesn't mean he doesn't have value (I personally love him on the team way more than Kemp), but Diaz and Correa will both play in front of him. And it buys extra time to figure out something too do with Kemp. Unlike White, I can't see Lunhow DFA'ing Kemp.
bearkatag15
AG
Tyler White was the 40th spot. Him being DFA'd not only made room on the 25 man roster for Ur Keeding but also created a spot on the 40 man roster for Correa
EastCoastAgNc
AG
mathguy86 said:

Ag_07 said:

Straw will go down first I think. Thats the easiest move to make. When Correa comes back something will have to happen.
Straw likely gets sent down to make room for Diaz unless they put James on the IL after yesterday's velocity issues. If Lunhow can't make a trade before Friday, I would lean towards holding off on activating Correa til Saturday or Sunday. You let one of the rookies start Friday or Saturday, then promptly send them down and activate Correa since we won't need a 5th starter for a while. Armentaros can start the Friday game in STL on normal rest, or Urkeeding can do it.
W
AG
Andyzipp said:

Ag_07 said:

By the end of the week, probably. But, the most likely to get sent down today will be Rogelio or Urquidy.

Rotation sets up Cole, Miley, Verlander, OFF DAY, Rogelio or Urquidy for the next five. The Astros won't need a 5th starter again until August 11th.
if the Astros win this upcoming series vs. the A's...they may just stick with the 5-man rotation despite the off-days (that would allow for a 4-man rotation)
AgFan1999
AG
I went through it several times - I could have been off on my numbers.
bearkatag15
AG
There are currently only 39 players on the 40 man roster.

http://m.astros.mlb.com/hou/roster/40-man/
First Page Last Page
Page 648 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.