***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,894,254 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
thinking about the 2020 rotation...

I notice that Wacha will be a free agent at the end of the season. He's had a very rough year (5.54 ERA) in St. Louis, but he was good in 2018 with a 3.20 ERA.

maybe Strom and the analytics department could help him. Only 27 years old. Also would not break the bank (a la Miley)
Farmer1906
AG
I am not so sure he's a good candidate. He doesn't have a high spin on his fastball and curve. There is room to improve though. He throws his 4 seamer way too much for how not good of a pitch it is. Based on the #s he should throw the change up more, but you may have diminishing returns if he throws it too much.
Mr.Bond
AG
Machado blasts analysts, MLB for double standard in coverage, discipline
https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1799103

No Manny it's because you have a history of being a ****ing ******bag
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Ag_07
AG
Did Luhnow draft Wacha while in STL?

Answered my own question...No. He was drafted in 2012 and Jeff came here in 2011
Farmer1906
AG
Looking back at the last couple of drafts, here are some names to consider as guys to watch for 2020 and beyond or maybe guys we'd give up in trades. All top 5 round guys in the last 2-3 years.

Tyler Ivey - 0.72 ERA in AA. He had a sub 3 ERA in A ball last year.
Peter Solomon - 2.08 ERA in A. He had a 2.32 ERA in A ball last year.
Riley Ferrell - 1.02 ERA in mix of AA/AAA. Struggled in AAA last year, but sub 2 ERA in AA.
Ag_07
AG
Thought Ferrell was a flop?

Didn't MIA pick him up in the Rule 5 then end up sending him back because he sucked?
tamuwx
AG
Looks like he was going to make the MIA team, but got injured. Outside of his rough AAA season last year, his numbers look good. Wonder why he wasn't picked up after the Marlins waived him.
superaggie73
AG
I may be mistaken, but I think a rule 5 pick has to go back to his original team (Astros) if he isn't put on the major league roster for the team that drafted him rule 5 (Marlins).
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

Thought Ferrell was a flop?

Didn't MIA pick him up in the Rule 5 then end up sending him back because he sucked?
Yes and no.

Quote:

Ferrell has not actually pitched for the Marlins this season, as he's been on the injured list all year. He's made a few rehab appearances for the team's minor league affiliates, but evidently the Marlins decided not to give him a shot at the big league level.
He's made a total of seven rehab appearances across three minor league levels this year, allowing just one run on three hits in 10.1 total innings. However, he's struck out eight and walked six, which may be why the Marlins weren't comfortable calling him up.
Ferrell was the Astros' third round pick in the 2015 draft out of TCU and has worked exclusively as a reliever in his professional career. The team gave him an above-slot signing bonus of $1 million, and he was generally effective during his time in the Astros' system.

Quote:

Minor league reliever Riley Ferrell is coming back to the Astros after clearing waivers.
After news broke recently that Riley Ferrell had been placed on waivers by the Marlins, there was a solid chance he would be coming back to the Astros. Now that he has cleared waivers, he will indeed be coming back to the organization that drafted him.
Ferrell went to Miami via the Rule 5 Draft in December. Because the Marlins waived him and no team claimed him on waivers, he was required to be offered back to the Astros for half of what the Marlins paid to get him.
Harnessing Potential
The Astros gave Ferrell a big signing bonus after drafting him in the third round in 2015, and he posted solid numbers leading up to his Triple-A debut in 2018. He frequently exhibited control issues, manifesting in a tendency to walk too many hitters. But because his stuff was so good, he was able to keep the hits to a minimum.
That didn't happen in Triple-A, however, as Ferrell was shelled to the tune of a 6.75 ERA. That led to the Astros keeping him off the 40-man roster, which made him eligible for the Rule 5 Draft. Thanks to a biceps injury, he never made his major league debut before the Marlins waived him.
Now the 25-year-old has a chance to go back to Double-A, where the Astros will make sure he's healthy and attempt to help him hone his command. The scouting report notes he has a tendency to overthrow pitches due to working at a quick tempo, so perhaps slowing things down would help him out.

tamuwx
AG
That is correct, but the article I was reading said he must clear waivers first before sending him back to his club. So it would appear that not one team wanted him, so yeah not sure why someone would trade for him now.
Agmaniacmike12
I'm so sick of baseball fans defending intentional plunking as "a part of the game". Be a man and mature enough to hash it out without having to use a weapon to prove your point. One of these days, a batter is gonna smash one of these pitchers with the bat and all hell is going to break loose.
Ag_07
AG
That's how it's been done forever so kinda is part of the game.

It's not hockey. Guys just can't start fist fighting everywhere.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Or let them fight, also like men. This is sports not some office job where you have to settle your differences with niceties and hugs. Let the biggest and baddest win. Like it or not many disagreements have been settled with fisticuffs and no one is hitting someone with a bat
Marvin
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Or let them fight, also like men. This is sports not some office job where you have to settle your differences with niceties and hugs. Let the biggest and baddest win. Like it or not many disagreements have been settled with fisticuffs and no one is hitting someone with a bat

But in this era of showboating and entitlement, it's just a matter of time before a bat is used. Just my opinion...
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
If you used the bat you'd be banned for life at a minimum probably locked up. These guys aren't risking that and the showboating would stop pretty quickly if we let the game regulate itself
expresswrittenconsent

teams and players dont want a guy making 25mil breaking their hand throwing fists. Teams are gonna clear benches and play grab ass every so often but with the size & strength of the modern players combined with the money involved nobody wants to see another Rudy Tomjonovich type face cave in.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Odor would like a word on that, but agreed 99% of the time no fight but there should always be the fear of one. Who cares about a suspension most of the time in a 162 game season
Ag_07
AG
They've been using bats since the 1800s

If it hasn't happened yet I'm gonna say the chances are extremely slim it ever happens.
Bregxit
AG
Ag_07 said:

They've been using bats since the 1800s

If it hasn't happened yet I'm gonna say the chances are extremely slim it ever happens.
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/13463881/juan-marichal-hit-john-roseboro-bat-ugly-baseball-brawl-50-years-ago

n_touch
Well then I guess we are due. My money is on Sassy Lance
Farmer1906
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

teams and players dont want a guy making 25mil breaking their hand throwing fists. Teams are gonna clear benches and play grab ass every so often but with the size & strength of the modern players combined with the money involved nobody wants to see another Rudy Tomjonovich type face cave in.
That is why you target Trout. Not because anyone dislikes him or he did anything wrong, but because his manager called for an earhole. Think MLB wants its best player out the rest of the year with a broken wrist?

All hypothetically speaking.
bearkatag15
AG
Let's see if Ramirez gets the same discipline

EastCoastAgNc
AG
I doubt he will get suspended since he wasn't ejected, though he definitely deserves to be suspended.
redline248
AG
I still can't believe the ump didn't toss his ass on the spot. Chicken sh-t umpire, chicken sh-t pitcher. MLB probably rounds out the chicken sh-t trifecta with no suspension.

They can all EAD
astros4545
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Let's see if Ramirez gets the same discipline

Neris must've hit him first pitch

Got to make sure to throw two sliders first before head hunting
Agmaniacmike12
Seriously though, if you want to throw a baseball 95 mph at someone to show your displeasure, don't be surprised if your victim uses what is in their hand to retaliate. Are we OK with a 2nd baseman throwing at a runner going 1st to 2nd in retaliation for a play that happened a week ago? Why is the pitcher doing it acceptable?

If you intentionally throw at somebody, the punishment should be strong. You should miss a substantial amount of games(20+) and forfeit your salary for those games. MLB could clean up this chicken**** way of beefing with each other real quick if the punishment was severe enough.

Kudos to Marisnick for wearing it, but if MLB is serious about protecting their players, then they can certainly do more to prevent this type of retaliation from occurring every time.
bearkatag15
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

I doubt he will get suspended since he wasn't ejected, though he definitely deserves to be suspended.

I'm shocked

03_Aggie
MLB wants it over with. Hinch pretty much put it out there that if MLB didn't handle, they would.
titanmaster_race
Wow I really didn't think MLB would have the stones to do it. Love that they also suspended Ausmus for a game too.

This should be the end of it.
expresswrittenconsent
Is jake still appealing? Apologies for asking because I know it's been covered here to death but I saw a story today that mentioned jake had served it the first 2 games of this series.
n_touch
He is appealing
expresswrittenconsent
Thx
MOCO9
AG
Loving this new rivalry.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
MOCO9 said:

Loving this new rivalry.

I'd like it even more if we kicked the **** out of them tonight.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 623 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.