***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,900,557 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Furlock Bones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
i'm sure this was posted earlier. but, Altuve legging out a triple. he does not look right running. *side note: he should not be sliding at AAA at all.

Ag_07
AG
I thought the same thing but their broadcast guys and Blum mentioned last night that he looked good.

I don't know. Probably just my BAS flaring up.
Frok
AG
He looks like he's trying not to run too hard
Deluxe
AG
I agree. It looks to me like he was favoring his left leg as he ran. Hopefully Frok is right.
sts7049
AG
it doesn't look very good, but it's hard to tell if its still an injury or just a guy a little out of conditioning or he got caught flat footed and not hustling when the fielder suddenly lost the ball
W
AG
not quite the same quality of starter for the Reds tonight.

DeSclafani is 3-3 with 4.43 ERA for the season.

at home he's 1-2 with 5.47 ERA
bearkatag15
AG
Anyone know how to pull this gif off twitter to use without posting it as a tweet?

mazag08
AG
Bregman just needs a day off.
Farmer1906
AG
mazag08 said:

Or a fattie.
Deluxe
AG
bearkatag15
AG
Farmer1906 said:

mazag08 said:

Or a fattie.
Ag_07
AG
Deluxe said:

I don't who he is but this guy has some horrendous takes.

EastCoastAgNc
AG
Furlock Bones said:

i'm sure this was posted earlier. but, Altuve legging out a triple. he does not look right running. *side note: he should not be sliding at AAA at all.

I don't think it looks that bad...part of it is the bad camera angle. Think about this...that happened in the 5th inning. If he had been even slightly injured, they would have pulled him from the game immediately. From the box score, he had 4 AB's and was not pinch hit for at any point.

https://www.milb.com/gameday/rainiers-vs-express/2019/06/17/580152#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=box,game=580152
Deluxe
AG
That's a good point
Teddy Perkins
AG
Different angle of Altuve's "triple." Looks a little smoother here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Astros/comments/c1weig/altuve_skies_one_to_left_ends_up_with_a_triple_aaa/
Frok
AG
It does make you wonder if there is damage again like last year and he is just going to play through it.
Ag_07
AG
Frok said:

It does make you wonder if there is damage again like last year and he is just going to play through it.

I don't think that's the issue

Last year there was no time for him to take off and get right so he just played through it.

This year he could sit for basically the rest of the regular season and be right for the playoffs.
gambochaman
AG
Did we discuss the carpenter bunt double yesterday? I certainly hope more batters start doing this
To beat the shift
DVC2010
AG
Have a video of that?
Beat40
gambochaman said:

Did we discuss the carpenter bunt double yesterday? I certainly hope more batters start doing this
To beat the shift
Bunting to beat the shift?
Beat40
DVC2010 said:

Have a video of that?
Basically the Marlins had everyone to the 1st base side of 2nd base and Carpenter was able to bunt it past the pitcher. The pitcher didn't hustle to the ball and he was able to get a stand up double.

It was cool, but only worked because of the pitcher's laziness and not having one fielder on the 3rd base side of the diamond. Otherwise would have just been a well executed bunt for a single.
bearkatag15
AG
DVC2010 said:

Have a video of that?

redline248
AG
gambochaman said:

To beat the shift
When I heard about last night I said "good for him." There is a saying "take what the defense gives you," and if they are gonna give you a free bunt to 3rd every time you're up with no one on base, take it.

As opposed to someone like Gallo that refuses to attempt a bunt against the shift.

edit: took too long to reply
redline248
AG
Quote:

It was cool, but only worked because of the pitcher's laziness and not having one fielder on the 3rd base side of the diamond. Otherwise would have just been a well executed bunt for a single.
Yeah, but even a bunt for a single is better than grounding out over and over into the shift.
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

It was cool, but only worked because of the pitcher's laziness

There isn't pitcher in the league who can get off the mound and get to that bunt.

Now having no one on the 3B side of things attributed to the double but it was no fault of the pitcher.

Just a perfectly executed bunt both in direction and in how hard/soft it was hit.
Bobcat-Ag
Ag_07 said:

Quote:

There isn't pitcher in the league who can get off the mound and get to that bunt.

Now having no one on the 3B side of things attributed to the double but it was no fault of the pitcher.

Just a perfectly executed bunt both in direction and in how hard/soft it was hit.
I disagree. If the pitcher would have hustled after the ball instead of jogging, he could have held Carpenter to a bunt single.
Frok
AG
Houston Astros second baseman Jose Altuve could be activated as soon as Wednesday as he makes his return from a strained left hamstring that has kept him out for more than a month, manager A.J. Hinch said Tuesday.

Hinch told MLB Network Radio on SiriusXM that Altuve will join the team in Cincinnati ahead of the series finale against the Reds.

"We're gonna bring him to Cincinnati, assess him," Hinch said. "There's a chance he is activated as soon as tomorrow, which would be great for our team, both morale-wise and production-wise."

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27001528/altuve-return-astros-wed-hinch-says
bearkatag15
AG
Gramercy Riffs
AG
redline248 said:

There is a saying "take what the defense gives you," and if they are gonna give you a free bunt to 3rd every time you're up with no one on base, take it.

As opposed to someone like Gallo that refuses to attempt a bunt against the shift.

Seems like this argument has been done here several times before. At any rate, here's what AJ says about it:
Quote:

Hinch, however, was satisfied. It mattered little that Gallo executed the bunt. Hinch wins the bigger battle when he can keep a power hitter to first base.

"That's why we give it to him," Hinch said. "He can bunt as much as he wants.

"Maybe I risk too much by over-shifting, but if I get the next guy out or I have a great matchup for the next guy, I win. I got you to hit a single, and I got the next guy behind you, who doesn't hit this guy very well."
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/astros/article/Astros-manager-A-J-Hinch-stays-committed-to-12986034.php
redline248
AG
Gramercy Riffs said:

redline248 said:

There is a saying "take what the defense gives you," and if they are gonna give you a free bunt to 3rd every time you're up with no one on base, take it.

Seems like this argument has been done here several times before. At any rate, here's what AJ says about it:
Quote:

Hinch, however, was satisfied. It mattered little that Gallo executed the bunt. Hinch wins the bigger battle when he can keep a power hitter to first base.

"That's why we give it to him," Hinch said. "He can bunt as much as he wants.

"Maybe I risk too much by over-shifting, but if I get the next guy out or I have a great matchup for the next guy, I win. I got you to hit a single, and I got the next guy behind you, who doesn't hit this guy very well."
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/astros/article/Astros-manager-A-J-Hinch-stays-committed-to-12986034.php
From a manager's standpoint, I get it. Nothing wrong with it. But maybe a player like Gallo takes the free base instead of an out (which I would guess is statistically higher than a basehit in the shift), and the next guy doesn't get out, but hits a double or something.

I think from the offensive side, most batters and coaches (maybe even pitchers) would say to get the guy out of the windup. Make him think about throwing a ball in the dirt, or the chance of a steal. Something to put a little more pressure on him.

I could see where it might depend on the pitcher, too. Maybe a guy like Verlander on the mound means you take your chances on the solo homer, and not rely on teammates behind you to string together hits. A lesser pitcher, though?

Maybe it is a win most of the time to hold a power hitter to a single, but I would rather have a guy on base than ground out into the shift.
bearkatag15
AG
https://sportstalk790.iheart.com/featured/houston-sports-news/content/2019-06-18-aj-hinch-says-jose-altuve-is-flying-to-cincinnati/?Keyid=socialflow&Pname=local_social&Sc=editorial

Hinch audio from his 790am interview earlier
Beat40
Ag_07 said:

Quote:

Sorry, I didn't explain well. I don't think the pitcher could have gotten to the bunt to throw him out at first. I do however feel the pitcher pretty much jogged at first to the ball then kind of sprinted after it once he realized Carpenter was already around 1st. I think there was a possibility to hustle to the ball once it passed him to possibly prevent the double.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
How is that people haven't started bunting to beat the shift?
Ag_07
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

How is that people haven't started bunting to beat the shift?

Same reason players haven't started choking up and slapping a single with 2 strikes.

The value of a possible XBH outweighs the benefit of high percentage single.
bearkatag15
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 414 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.