***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,916,536 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
shano0603
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:

good lord Rondon blows... leave his ass off the playoff roster please

He blows? He has been pretty solid all year. I forget a bullpen arm isn't allowed to give up any runs. Go back to predicting Tyler White is going to hit 30 homers again.
AgDoc03
AG
White did improve his HR rate to 1 per 65 at bats!

Trying to keep up with Alvarez's 1 per 3
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bearkatag15
AG
shano0603 said:

bearkatag15 said:

He blows? He has been pretty solid all year. I forget a bullpen arm isn't allowed to give up any runs. Go back to predicting Tyler White is going to hit 30 homers again.

When have I ever predicted White to hit 30 HRs? Lol I'm the resident White hater. I've been pretty consistent on my feeling about white since he was called up last season
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
n_touch
Quote:

When have I ever predicted White to hit 30 HRs? Lol I'm the resident White hater. I've been pretty consistent on my feeling about white since he was called up last season
No doubt about that
Farmer1906
AG
shano0603 said:

bearkatag15 said:

Slow down. It's mid June and White doesn't even have 30 hits yet.
Ag_07
AG
Man Yordan is such an absolute game changer for this team. A lineup with him and Springer, Altuve, and Correa once were at full strength seems almost unfair.

Springer CF
Bregman 3B
Altuve 2B
Brantley LF
Correa SS
Alvarez DH
Gurriel 1B
Chirinos C
Reddick RF
Deluxe
AG
Rondon is what he is... a reasonably reliable veteran who can help eat innings over the 162 game grind. He's not having an great year so far but he hasn't been bad. Has worked around some trouble for sure.

Guys like Rondon, Harris, McHugh and Smith are pretty valuable IMO. They're much more reliable than our young guys. They aren't exceptional but they're solid when you compare them to other middle relief options around baseball.

Given how the market for relief pitchers has looked at the trade deadline the last few years, acquiring better options than those guys would be costly in terms of prospects. We'll be protecting 105-110 leads this year and Pressly/Osuna can't ball out every night. I kinda like our veteran bullpen depth (when healthy).

The Brewers have a great offense. If we see them in the World Series, chances are Rondon won't pitch unless it's garbage time.

Interesting offseason topic: McHugh, Rondon, Harris and Smith are all free agents after this year. How do we replace them? I think some of the younger guys we were looking to aren't developing like we were hoping.
Deluxe
AG
Ag_07 said:

Man Yordan is such an absolute game changer for this team. A lineup with him and Springer, Altuve, and Correa once were at full strength seems almost unfair.

Springer CF
Bregman 3B
Altuve 2B
Brantley LF
Correa SS
Alvarez DH
Gurriel 1B
Chirinos C
Reddick RF
JDUB08AG
AG
Ag_07 said:

Springer CF
Bregman 3B
Altuve 2B
Brantley LF
Correa SS
Alvarez DH
Gurriel 1B
Chirinos C
Reddick RF
Deluxe
AG
Interesting note:

The 2017 Astros started 42-16 (one of the best starts in baseball history), but then went 3-6 in their next 9 games to get to 45-23 through 68 games. The 2019 Astros are now ahead of the 2017 Astros pace at 46-22. Last year we were 43-25 at this point.
MAROON
AG
Deluxe said:

Ag_07 said:

Springer CF
Bregman 3B
Altuve 2B
Brantley LF
Correa SS
Alvarez DH
Gurriel 1B
Chirinos C
Reddick RF
I've fantasized about this many, many times since Sunday.
Beat40
Ag_07 said:

Springer CF
Bregman 3B
Altuve 2B
Brantley LF
Correa SS
Alvarez DH
Gurriel 1B
Chirinos C
Reddick RF
And then swap Reddit out with Diaz when we face a tough lefty.
Ag_07
AG
Completely agree

And we all know the division is wrapped up so this team needs to make moves for the playoffs in mind. And with that said come playoff time with Peacock and McHugh being added to the pen we don't need to be out shopping for BP arms. We can thrive with Harris, Pressly, Osuna in HL Rodon, McHugh, Smith in ML, and James and Framber in mop up duty.

Get a #3 starter and TAKE IT BACK
CoachRTM
AG
I keep wanting to take Reddick out and putting Straw in.

Imagine Straw getting on base in front of Springer, Bregman and Altuve to turn over the lineup.
tjack16
AG
Beat40 said:

Ag_07 said:

Springer CF
Bregman 3B
Altuve 2B
Brantley LF
Correa SS
Alvarez DH
Gurriel 1B
Chirinos C
Reddick RF
And then swap Reddit out with Diaz when we face a tough lefty.

Why? Reddick is hitting .310 (.370 vs LHP)

He's earned the every day start
Prosperdick
AG
Ag_07 said:

Springer CF
Bregman 3B
Altuve 2B
Brantley LF
Correa SS
Alvarez DH
Gurriel 1B
Chirinos C
Reddick RF
7-8-9 can do some serious damage (and have recently). That's usually when a pitcher "gets a breather"
Beat40
I don't disagree with you, but the guy who sets the lineup and sees Reddick struggles against certain lefties will sit him for that game.
Ag_07
AG
Come playoff time Straw may be more valuable late off the bench to pinch run.
Buck Compton
AG
Ag_07 said:

Come playoff time Straw may be more valuable late off the bench to pinch run.
Yeah, barring injury, I don't see anyway Straw starts a playoff game for us.... hopefully no one was suggesting that.

As valuable as that speed is, the flexibility to insert that speed late in the game when someone is already on base is even more valuable. A projected playoff lineup for us would look like this (with 13 batters):

C - Chirinos

1B - Yuli / Alvarez / Diaz
2B - Altuve
SS - Correa
3B - Bregman

LF - Brantley / Alvarez
CF - Springer
RF - Reddick

DH - Alvarez / Diaz

Bench - Marisnick
Bench - Straw
Bench - Alvarez / Diaz (whoever isn't playing, likely Diaz)
Bench - Stassi

This likely leaves Kemp off the post-season roster unfortunately, but thankfully leaves White off the roster.
Ag_07
AG
Hopefully White is not with the organization come time to make a playoff roster.
Mathguy64
AG
By that time it wont matter one way or the other. The next important date is July 31. That's the trade deadline and there are no more waivers after that anymore.
Psych
AG
mathguy86 said:

By that time it wont matter one way or the other. The next important date is July 31. That's the trade deadline and there are no more waivers after that anymore.

"As of 2019, the July 31 Trade Deadline is the only trade deadline. Players may still be placed and claimed on outright waivers after July 31, but trades are no longer be permitted after that date. With regards to newly acquired players, the Aug. 31 postseason roster deadline remains in effect."

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/trade-waivers-aug-31-deadline
Aggie95
AG
who are the likely trade names that will be linked to the Astros?

mad bum, will smith?
Farmer1906
AG
Anyone curious on Alvarez's first name, they just had a caller say it is pronounced like Jordan but replace the J with a Y.
Agnzona
Straw, Fisher and Jake from take farm make for a pretty tough outfield as late inning defensive lead protectors.

"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
Ag_07
AG
Aggie95 said:

who are the likely trade names that will be linked to the Astros?

Really any starter who's available

Stroman, Bauer (depending on where CLE is at the deadline), Scherzer, Greinke

Honestly I expect us to make a move. I think JL sees this as a 2017 type situation where he's gonna strike while the iron is hot to get that one arm that puts us over the top and in the driver's seat.
Agnzona
This year's trade deadline will be interesting. I see virtually no buyers in the AL. Maybe the NL will have a few chasing the wildcards. Could be an oppertunity to lock up a younger pitcher for a few years at a deflated price??
Ag_07
AG
Interesting...I see it as a seller's market. Lots of teams out of it and ready cash in and get prospects

While there will be no teams gunning for pieces they need to make the playoffs but each of the contenders in the AL have a need.

NYY, MIN, TB, HOU could all be looking to add a starter to bolster up for the playoff run and each one could be ready to dig in and engage in a bidding war to get their guy.

All the more reason I wouldn't be opposed to getting something done before the deadline rush.
Buck Compton
AG
Ag_07 said:

Interesting...I see it as a seller's market. Lots of teams out of it and ready cash in and get prospects

While there will be no teams gunning for pieces they need to make the playoffs but each of the contenders in the AL have a need.

NYY, MIN, TB, HOU could all be looking to add a starter to bolster up for the playoff run and each one could be ready to dig in and engage in a bidding war to get their guy.

All the more reason I wouldn't be opposed to getting something done before the deadline rush.
The bold portion is exactly why it will be a buyer's market....
gambochaman
AG
this team is 9-3 since Correa was injured....so, they have won 75% of their games in which correa, altuve and springer have been out...that is ridiculous
n_touch
Trade them all. We don't need'em
Frok
AG
Agnzona said:

Straw, Fisher and Jake from take farm make for a pretty tough outfield as late inning defensive lead protectors.

Better not go into extra innings with that lineup
Agnzona
Definately lots of sellers. I'm just not sure much demand from the few buyers. That's why I think it an oppertunity to lock up a pitcher for a few years.
Buck Compton
AG
Frok said:

Agnzona said:

Better not go into extra innings with that lineup
Yep. Hate to tell people, but we will not carry Fisher in the post-season. There just isn't room for him (if he's even still in the organization).... You have essentially 4 bench spots if you carry 13 position players and Fisher is a sub-par defender.

Diaz / Alvarez (whoever isn't playing)
Marisnick (Defense / Speed)
Straw (Speed)
Stassi (Back-up Catcher)

Done. No Kemp. No Fisher. No White.
irish pete ag06
AG
Just to let y'all know. Fisher is not a great outfielder. I keep seeing him mentioned as this great defensive replacement. He's below George and Reddick in defensive capability by a lot.
First Page Last Page
Page 378 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.