***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,916,579 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
One from the Astros Mariners series with the throw to home with no one there

Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Mathguy64
AG
That Donaldson clip show how much of an ass he is. He standing so close to the plate that his arms are over it as he's waiting for the pitch. He would literally get hit by a strike. Of course Musgrove is going to throw inside. He can't swing at that pitch. And then to top it off it grazes his uni. What a choade.
bearkatag15
AG
Astros A's series when Semien gets tossed

n_touch
I just realized he hit the plate with his throw. Bregman should have been out. At least that's how we did it in the empty neighborhood lot.
irish pete ag06
AG
bearkatag15 said:

One from the Astros Mariners series with the throw to home with no one there

That looked like in RBI baseball on regular Nintendo when you fielded the ball with a 1st baseman then accidentally threw it to 1st.
TREX01
Didn't know there was a rule on how close you could or couldn't stand to the plate
AgDoc03
AG
TREX01 said:

Didn't know there was a rule on how close you could or couldn't stand to the plate

There's not. I think it's more to the point that if you do stand that close, you need to be prepared for guys to "get in your kitchen" so to say. The fact it barely caught his jersey and he still mean mugged him I think was his point.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dshedd41
S
Hope he does this again today.
Gig’em Aggies!
Ag_07
AG
mathguy86 said:

That Donaldson clip show how much of an ass he is. He standing so close to the plate that his arms are over it as he's waiting for the pitch. He would literally get hit by a strike. Of course Musgrove is going to throw inside. He can't swing at that pitch. And then to top it off it grazes his uni. What a choade.

I laughed when he showed his recent stats and that he's batting .100 over his last 10 games. Don't act like when you're struggling and abysmal at the plate.

Upon further review it looks like he's hitting .151 over his last 15 with a whopping .262 OBP.
Mathguy64
AG
AgDoc03 said:

TREX01 said:

There's not. I think it's more to the point that if you do stand that close, you need to be prepared for guys to "get in your kitchen" so to say. The fact it barely caught his jersey and he still mean mugged him I think was his point.

Yep. If you stand on the plate like that you shouldn't be shocked when the pitcher throws on the inside of the plate. And that's all Musgrove did. And did correctly, because it's impossible to hit that pitch when you are that close. Donaldson showed his ass like he was thrown at. Musgrove got tossed for doing nothing wrong. Nothing at all.
k20dub
AG

Charlie Morton currently has a 2.10 ERA with a 1.02 WHIP.
Beat40
Man, I wish we still had CFM. I miss that dude.
Ag_07
AG
Wonder what the reasoning was for not giving Charlie the QO?

Was it simply being afraid he'd accept it and they felt he wasn't worth $17.9M price tag? Not resigning to him a multi year deal isn't a big deal based on his injury history, but not giving him the QO is looking like a miss (especially since the QO we did give out got us nothing).

It'll be interesting to see how he holds up throughout the year and if he sustains the high level he's at right now.
Deluxe
AG
After losing to the Rangers last night, Boston is now 34-33... 8 games back in the division and 2 back in the wild card. Makes our 103 win season last year coming off a title (with tons of injuries) seem that much more impressive.

Also, Rangers have a +33 run diff so far this year, which is higher than the their 2015 and 2016 division winning teams combined. Crazy how lucky they got those years.
JDUB08AG
AG
Salty isn't the right word here, but I wish the Astros upped the offer to CM. I understand the risk and it is quite possible that he will trend down in the second half this season, but he was such a critical component to our success.
Frok
AG
Ag_07 said:

Was it simply being afraid he'd accept it and they felt he wasn't worth $17.9M price tag? Not resigning to him a multi year deal isn't a big deal based on his injury history, but not giving him the QO is looking like a miss (especially since the QO we did give out got us nothing).

It'll be interesting to see how he holds up throughout the year and if he sustains the high level he's at right now.

I don't remember Morton's numbers late in the year last year but he had shoulder issues. My guess is the Astros were concerned enough about it to not want to give him a large offer. Looking back now I'm sure Luhnow would like to have changed his approach.
Mr President Elect
AG
dshedd14 said:

Not sure how the ball hits about 20 ft above the 404 sign has a projected distance of 413 ft? I like all the numbers they give us in baseball, just wish they were a little more accurate and realistic at times
W
AG
his career reconnaissance the last 3 seasons is remarkable. Might be moving into unprecedented territory.

Morton's W-L record the last 3 years is now 37-10 in 69 starts.

only been the losing pitcher of record 10 times in 69 starts --- that's crazy good

Bregxit
AG
willjohnathan said:

dshedd14 said:

Not sure how the ball hits about 20 ft above the 404 sign has a projected distance of 413 ft? I like all the numbers they give us in baseball, just wish they were a little more accurate and realistic at times

The distance estimate is just a very basic calculation with velo, angle and atmosphere at sea level. It doesn't account for spin on the ball or wind.
07ag
AG
Ag_07 said:

my understanding of the astros front office is that they usually like to "buy low" on players they feel they can improve (ex. morton, cole, pressly). morton had done his improving, and therefore couldn't be signed at a discount again. rather than spending big bucks on morton/keuchel, they signed wade miley for 4 million, and moved peacock and mchugh to the rotation. plus with all the prospects in the pipeline there was soon to be a logjam
https://ts.la/eric59704
Mathguy64
AG
Math and nerd alert!!!

distance downrange = ((initial velocity)^2)*(sin(2*launch angle))/g, where g = 9.8 m/sec^2.

Two possible launch angles will yield the same distance. One is a small angle between 0 and 45. The other is a large angle between 45 and 90. The small angle launch is a line drive and the big launch angle is a lob wedge.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled program.
MAROON
AG
I think there were also legitimate concerns about CFM's durability and longevity (due to the requirement of a multi year deal).

obviously we all would like to still have him in our uniform.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah I get that.

I'm just curious why no QO (and draft compensation) if they thought he would get a bigger better deal elsewhere.

I think it came down to they thought he would accept it and that would result in overpaying Morton on the one year $17.9M deal.

Time will tell...But based on his performance so far $17.9M may not have been such a bad deal after all.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Beat40
Frok said:

Ag_07 said:

I don't remember Morton's numbers late in the year last year but he had shoulder issues. My guess is the Astros were concerned enough about it to not want to give him a large offer. Looking back now I'm sure Luhnow would like to have changed his approach.
I'm pretty sure there were concerns about Charlie's shoulder.
AgDoc03
AG
mathguy86 said:

Math and nerd alert!!!

distance downrange = ((initial velocity)^2)*(sin(2*launch angle))/g, where g = 9.8 m/sec^2.

Two possible launch angles will yield the same distance. One is a small angle between 0 and 45. The other is a large angle between 45 and 90. The small angle launch is a line drive and the big launch angle is a lob wedge.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled program.

Obligatory username checks out
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgDoc03
AG
W said:

his career reconnaissance the last 3 seasons is remarkable. Might be moving into unprecedented territory.

Morton's W-L record the last 3 years is now 37-10 in 69 starts.

only been the losing pitcher of record 10 times in 69 starts --- that's crazy good

bearkatag15
AG
I'm glad we are getting the Brewers in MMP right now. Yelich at home this year is hitting .438 with 19 home runs in 28 games. On the road he is hitting .259 with 5 HRs. Pretty big difference

Heard Charlie Pallilo talking about it on the radio just now.
astros4545
AG

Just fyi
Ags #1
AG
is anyone writing him off? If anything people didn't like his perceived lazy defense and bad base running.
Ag_07
AG
Ags #1 said:

is anyone writing him off? If anything people didn't like his perceived lazy defense and bad base running.

Granted with an OBP of .236 we haven't seen him run much.
Farmer1906
AG
astros4545 said:

Just fyi
I don't understand it either. TED will be a multiple year starter and All Star.
Mr President Elect
AG
astros4545 said:

Just fyi
Nobody is writing him off, except maybe casual idiot fans. Yordan overshadowed him though and so he is getting all the hype. Wish he could play first base...
bearkatag15
AG
From another board

Quote:

Hinch on MLB Radio says Altuve is on track for a rehab assignment this weekend. It will be 3-5 games.

Springer, McHugh and Stassi will all follow very soon after.

That puts Altuve back for the start of the Yankees series
Marvin
AG
bearkatag15 said:

From another board

Quote:

Hinch on MLB Radio says Altuve is on track for a rehab assignment this weekend. It will be 3-5 games.

Springer, McHugh and Stassi will all follow very soon after.

That puts Altuve back for the start of the Yankees series

Great news. I was worried about McHugh since nothing has been reported. That I could find anyway.
First Page Last Page
Page 368 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.