***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,869,164 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
it's interesting...the Astros franchise has really never had that big left-handed slugger in 50+ years.

in fact Jose Cruz is still the all-time Astro HR leader for left-handed hitters with 138.

(Berkman is the switch-hitting leader)

there was a time folks thought Eric Anthony would be the guy

Deluxe
AG
Daryl Ward was also supposed to be that guy
Deluxe
AG
Charlie Pallilo just made the same comparison to McCovey
bigjag19
AG
Off day just means more time to analyze Correa.

I think he cracked the rib from getting a massage. Well you know, happy ending, she found out, cracked a rib. Same thing basically.
bearkatag15
AG
Bregman leading 3B in all star voting so far. Altuve is 2nd

Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
bearkatag15
AG
Springer 2nd, Brantley 4th, Reddick 9th, Chirinos 4th and Correa 2nd

If voting ended today, the only positions not represented at the All Star game is 1st base and DH (Yuli and White)

Mathguy64
AG
The speculation has always been the Correa and his agent would be looking for a massive pay day when he is a FA. First I have no problem with that decision. But (and here's the rub), if he opts for the super $$ that can be thrown around by Boston or NYY, can you imagine the feeding frenzy it would be in the media and tabloids up there? He would need to go into full blown WitSec protection mode. What he's said about this would not fly up there. Not at all.
bigjag19
AG
mathguy86 said:

The speculation has always been the Correa and his agent would be looking for a massive pay day when he is a FA. First I have no problem with that decision. But (and here's the rub), if he opts for the super $$ that can be thrown around by Boston or NYY, can you imagine the feeding frenzy it would be in the media and tabloids up there? He would need to go into full blown WitSec protection mode. What he's said about this would not fly up there. Not at all.

What you did, I see it.

redline248
AG
White and Marisnick
Big Al 1992
AG
I kinda miss the old school all star punch ballots. Good memories filling those out with my dad.
JDUB08AG
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

I kinda miss the old school all star punch ballots. Good memories filling those out with my dad.
Me too. I remember my Uncle giving me major crap one year for punching a ballot for Rick Wilkins lol. For whatever reason that memory stands out.

It was all Astros for me!
Farmer1906
AG
WelchAg said:

Big Al 1992 said:

Me too. I remember my Uncle giving me major crap one year for punching a ballot for Rick Wilkins lol. For whatever reason that memory stands out.

It was all Astros for me!
Ditto.

I would go position by position with my old man debating it during games.
tjack16
AG
As awesome as it would be to see Altuve be an all star again.... does he deserve it this year? He hasn't even played in half of our games and likely won't be back by the ASG
bigjag19
AG
tjholley16 said:

As awesome as it would be to see Altuve be an all star again.... does he deserve it this year? He hasn't even played in half of our games and likely won't be back by the ASG

Not one bit. But we both know that's not how this works.
bearkatag15
AG
No he doesn't deserve it but he will be one, just not a starter. Sometimes your longevity of performing at a high level gets you in even if current performance doesn't warrant it
JABQ04
AG
Deluxe said:

Wait, where are you hearing Charlie Pallilo? I genuinely enjoyed his show before that clown Innes took his spot. Glad he's gone.
Deluxe
AG
JABQ04 said:

Deluxe said:

Wait, where are you hearing Charlie Pallilo? I genuinely enjoyed his show before that clown Innes took his spot. Glad he's gone.
He has an 11am-1pm show on ESPN 97.5 in Houston. The first segment or two is usually good with his takes on Astros, etc in monologue format. But the rest of the show is a struggle because he depends on callers for conversation and he doesn't get many in that timeslot.
BullSprig07
AG
I'm not sure that is better or worse than his previous shows considering the intelligence of his call-in listeners.
Deluxe
AG
Fair point
Deluxe
AG
Is Rocco Baldelli some kind of offensive mastermind? It's wild looking at the Twins stats so far this year...

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MIN/2019.shtml

Buxton, Castro and Kepler were mediocre offensive players before this year and all three are OPS+ing over 124. Polanco was decent before this year but he might be the best AL short stop right now.

Wonder if they can sustain this. Every year it seems like a couple teams play above their talent level for the first couple months, but the law of averages eventually rears its ugly head. Maybe the Twins are that team this year. But their run diff is legit and they have a 10.5 game lead over Cleveland.
sts7049
AG
I've always felt that the hot offenses at the beginning aren't the ones who win in October

there will be a regression at some point
n_touch
We lucky for us half of the hot offense is on hiatus so they will miss the regression phase
sts7049
AG
exactly
CFTXAG10
AG
SIAP
n_touch
Guarantee that Jason posts here
Frok
AG
I'll admit I was a little upset when we didn't seem to get much at the 2016 deadline.
gougler08
AG
To be fair, Alvarez hadn't even played in the minor leagues at that point and we didn't have Verlander yet either...still a fairly massive over-reaction
The Milkman
AG
gougler08 said:

To be fair, Alvarez hadn't even played in the minor leagues at that point and we didn't have Verlander yet either...still a fairly massive over-reaction
Sup Jason
redline248
AG
Massive overreaction on Twitter? No way
gougler08
AG
The Milkman said:

gougler08 said:

Sup Jason
Harry Dunne
mathguy86 said:

Oh yeah. Remember the heat the Dork Knight took when Edelman swiped Adriana Lima? They'd love crazy eyes Dany.

Ag_07
AG
Or just like our 2017 team they're all having career years
Mathguy64
AG
Deluxe said:

Is Rocco Baldelli some kind of offensive mastermind? It's wild looking at the Twins stats so far this year...

Buxton, Castro and Kepler were mediocre offensive players before this year and all three are OPS+ing over 124. Polanco was decent before this year but he might be the best AL short stop right now.

Wonder if they can sustain this. Every year it seems like a couple teams play above their talent level for the first couple months, but the law of averages eventually rears its ugly head. Maybe the Twins are that team this year. But their run diff is legit and they have a 10.5 game lead over Cleveland.
Have you seen the dog crap pitching in the AL Central that they get to hit against? Its brutal. Last I looked that had only played like 4 series against teams above .500. It may be more now but they have feasted on real bottom feeders most of the season.
Marvin
AG
mathguy86 said:

Deluxe said:

Have you seen the dog crap pitching in the AL Central that they get to hit against? Its brutal. Last I looked that had only played like 4 series against teams above .500. It may be more now but they have feasted on real bottom feeders most of the season.

After playing the Mariners and Orioles, Houston's SOS dropped to 7th hardest. Others of note:

3. Dodgers
22. Twins
23. Rays
24. Red Sox
25. Indians
27. Rangers
29. Yankees
bearkatag15
AG
McTaggart did a Q&A on his twitter account today. I pulled out some of the interesting ones.

Harry is going to love the ones about White

First Page Last Page
Page 366 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.