***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,878,021 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Seems like it's back to the 2017 approach of just beating teams into submission. Not just winning but winning in demoralizing fashion.
Ag_07
AG
Apparently Miggy got tossed yesterday. So today he made sure it wouldn't happen again

McInnis
AG
When Altuve goes on the IL and no one notices, that's a pretty good sign.
bearkatag15
AG

Had no idea Astros have best record since this move. Pretty badass
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

You can pretty much pick any timeframe over the last 2.25 years and we'd have the best record. We've been the best organization.
AstroAggie15
AG
This feels like May 2017

Best record in baseball.

Best run differential by a mile

Crush ****ing City
shano0603
AG
I can't wait until we play the orioles.. We might hit 10 homers every game.
Prosperdick
AG
Farmer1906 said:

bearkatag15 said:

You can pretty much pick any timeframe over the last 2.25 years and we'd have the best record. We've been the best organization.

Yeah but we had to endure three years of suckitude to have this incredible run...wouldn't you rather do it the Ranger way???
bearkatag15
AG

Some commentary and Astros praise from a Detroit fan
Teddy Perkins
AG
Just another reminder to appreciate what we have and what the front office has put together.
PhatMack19
AG
Bobcat-Ag
That's amazing!
Hulla Baller
AG
PhatMack19 said:

Let's replace McCann with Altuve and call it a day.
Mr.Bond
AG
Random thought of the day

Toronto has a stock pile of mlb all stars kids..... Nuts
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

bearkatag15
AG
Early look at Cy Young award leaders:

https://www.mlb.com/news/2019-cy-young-award-poll-leaders

Quote:

Justin Verlander is at the top of the heap in the American League in MLB.com's first Cy Young Award poll of 2019, and that's probably the least surprising thing you'll read. Verlander received a whopping 79.6 percent of the vote and got 32 of 46 first-place votes.

As for Verlander, he's the very definition of a future Hall of Famer. In the 12 seasons before this one, he was a top-five finisher in AL Cy Young Award voting seven times. That Verlander won the award just once -- in 2011, when he was also the AL Most Valuable Player Award winner -- takes nothing away from the fact that for more than a decade, he consistently has been in the best-in-the-game conversation.

The righty has been as good as ever in his 15th Major League season, with a fastball that still touches 98 mph and a smothering 0.820 WHIP and 10.7 strikeouts per nine innings. Since he joined the Astros on Aug. 31, 2017, he leads the Majors in wins and is second in innings, strikeouts and earned run average.

Verlander received 32 of 46 first-place votes, but the rest were spread among four pitchers: Matthew Boyd(seven), Gerrit Cole (three), Jake Odorizzi and Jose Berrios (two apiece).
Quote:

American League
1. Verlander (79.6 percent) -- Milestones come routinely these days for Verlander. Most recently, he reached 22nd place on the all-time strikeout list with 2,774. He's 29 behind Cy Young, who is No. 21. This season, Verlander has pitched at least six innings in eight of his nine starts, and finished at least seven innings four times. His name is all over the AL leaderboard. Heading into Monday, he was first in batting average against (.163) and WHIP (0.82), second in innings pitched (57 1/3), third in strikeouts (68) and fourth in ERA (2.51).

2. Berrios (28.3 percent) -- The right-hander entered Monday's start with a personal five-game winning streak, and the Twins were 7-1 in his eight starts before the Angels knocked him around for five runs on 12 hits and three walks over 5 2/3 innings in a 5-4 loss. The 24-year-old had previously allowed more than two earned runs just twice in 2019. Berrios has tweaked his approach slightly, throwing fewer fastballs and more curves and changeups this season.

3. Boyd (26.5 percent) -- The lefty is building on a breakout second half in 2018 in which he had a 1.08 WHIP and a .230 opponents' batting average. Before allowing three runs on five hits and two walks over four innings vs. the powerful Astros in an 8-1 loss Monday, Boyd ranked fourth in the AL with 65 strikeouts and seventh in WHIP at 0.99.

Others receiving votes: Odorizzi, Cole, Glasnow, Charlie Morton, Domingo German, Mike Minor.
Furlock Bones
AG
Astros currently: See ball. Mash ball.
Buck Compton
AG
Where is the reigning AL Cy Young award winner on that list???

You mean Blake Snell was an aberration? You mean he benefited from an inordinate amount of luck compared to his performance based on batted balls? WAY career low BABIP against, FIP over a full point higher than his ERA (with xFIP even higher) while rarely facing a lineup the third time and not pitching deep into games.

I NEVER would have guessed that...... (rolls eyes)...

/still bitter
Farmer1906
AG
Snell is having a strong year. He just doesn't have to ridiculous ERA this year.
Deluxe
AG
Yep. He's also getting more wins and less losses this year, which is huge. Last year he was 4-2 at this point in the season. This year he's 6-1. Pretty amazing improvement in performance.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Buck Compton
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Snell is having a strong year. He just doesn't have to ridiculous ERA this year.
Is he though?

Already had two blow up games where he failed to get through the 4th inning. Had the blow up against us. 5.1 IP per start, ERA in the mid 3s, SOs are up, but so are hits and home runs. I'd say that's really squarely average... Again, maybe I'm bitter at the luck he had last year that stole the Cy Young from Verlander.
Mathguy64
AG
Interesting article on the offense.

It's early and just won't continue at this pace. We are slugging .507 as a team and no one has ever finished a season over .500 .But it's sure looks like it's on the level of 2017. And that's the best of any team without Ruth and Gehrig.
Farmer1906
AG
Yes. His FIP and xFIP are down from last year. He's also 4th in baseball in xwOBA for guys with 100 PA(basically starters). He's been a little unlucky this year.
bearkatag15
AG

Really like how well Diaz has been doing since his rough start. He's a career .273/.321/.459/.781 hitter so this is his recent success is more in line with what we can expect from him.
W
AG
replacing May Altuve with May Diaz has helped the offense quite a bit
Ag_07
AG
W said:

replacing May Altuve with May Diaz has helped the offense quite a bit

What is 'Things I would never have guessed I blue starred on the TexAgs Baseball Other 2019 Astro's thread'.
ChAg1799
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Really like how well Diaz has been doing since his rough start. He's a career .273/.321/.459/.781 hitter so this is his recent success is more in line with what we can expect from him.
I'll admit.... I wanted his azz gone. But he has really turned it around. I was also wrong about Chirinos vd. Realmuto... but I wasn't the only one there.
bearkatag15
AG
Kyle Tucker just homered again. 11th of the season and 3rd in the last 5 games. Catching up with Alvarez pretty quickly.

Beat40
Personally, I think the next time the organization calls up Tucker, they need to be ready to let him play just about every day.
E
AG
Who are we going to sit? Is he going to DH?

We have so many good pieces right now performing well, only person he'd take AB's from us White and maybe Kemp
Prosperdick
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Kyle Tucker just homered again. 11th of the season and 3rd in the last 5 games. Catching up with Alvarez pretty quickly.

Yup after pouting at the start of the season (due to the Brantley acquisition I can only surmise) he really has been raking. What a great problem to have with these two studs tearing it up down there...
Mathguy64
AG
While I agree and think they made the mistake last time not doing that, who doesn't play? George, Reddick, Brantley and Jake right now are trading 3 spots between 4 guys on a regular basis with the DH being used to get ABs for George mostly for a day off. Every 5th game or so Kemp takes one spot. If Tucker comes up that really messes up the OF.

They need a DH/1B to come up. Wonder who they have in AAA who can do that?
bearkatag15
AG
Video of Tucker's HR

https://www.milb.com/video/tucker-yanks-11th-homer/c-2525010083
ChAg1799
AG
He and Alvarez needs to keep it up to help justify moving on from White, Jake or Kemp...
First Page Last Page
Page 208 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.