***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,877,247 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
dshedd41
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Well, who do you suggest then?
Gig’em Aggies!
tjack16
AG
dshedd14 said:

Well, who do you suggest then?

Alvarez
Harry Dunne
Stros Schadenfreude said:

Tyler's weight doesn't bother me as much as what his weight says about his attitude towards mastering his profession. He's on the cusp of being a valuable MLB player and being a never-was.

Say what you want about his weight, but it can't be helping him and makes him a huge liability on the base paths. He also has to know this and doesn't care enough to shed 40-50 and get in great shape. That's what bothers me about him. These are the most crucial years of his career; where a great season or two might mean the difference of 50-60 million dollars over his lifetime; and he can't put the nachos away.
You're making a lot of assumptions. If he were an addict, would you say he doesn't care enough to get clean?
He needs to hit to keep the job and losing weight would definitely help him be a better overall ballplayer, but I doubt that lack of caring is the problem.

Everyone loved Caminiti and he was built like a rock and hustled. Maybe he would have been a hall of famer if he could have just "put the crack pipe away".

What can I say? I'm a little fat but not a crackhead. It's easy for me to empathize with the guy that can't put the nachos away and harder for me to understand how you could not just keep your lips off the crack pipe.

Harry Dunne
bearkatag15 said:

gougler08 said:

dshedd14 said:

Tyler White is a good player in my opinion. He just is going through a rough patch now.

Debatable at best

Not even debatable. The dude had 1 good week and another good month in his career. Take those out and you have Jon Singleton
Tyler White and Yuli Gurriel have a nearly identical career OBP & SLG (and obviously OPS).

White is just entering his prime and Yuli is almost 35.

dshedd41
S
Who?
Gig’em Aggies!
dshedd41
S
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/whitety01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/gourryu01.shtml
Gig’em Aggies!
Post removed:
by user
bearkatag15
AG
Yuli in his prime

White in his prime

Harry Dunne
dshedd14 said:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/whitety01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/gourryu01.shtml

Thanks.

Yes, most of you will have go look to make sure those numbers are right, because you think Yuli is good and White sucks. Because Yuli has flair and cool hair and White is fat and ugly. Cue the "Yuli is clutch and White does all his damage in garbage time". If you go look at the "clutch stats" section, you will see that they are very similar there too (both very good in the clutch, it turns out).

Most of you disagreeing with this is the whole reason moneyball worked in the first place.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
tjack16
AG
dshedd14 said:

Who?

Batting .386 with 14 HR in AAA currently

bearkatag15
AG
Also, you are saying that a 3 year sample of Yuli at the end of his career represents what his true career number would have been if he were in the MLB during his prime. Guarantee you his numbers at age 25-28 would greatly surpass Whites at that age.
Harry Dunne
bearkatag15 said:

Also, you are saying that a 3 year sample of Yuli at the end of his career represents what his true career number would have been if he were in the MLB during his prime. Guarantee you his numbers at age 25-28 would greatly surpass Whites at that age.
No doubt about it, and that's not my point.

My point is that Yuli is in the decline stage of his career and White is entering what should be the best years.
Oyster DuPree
AG
third coast.. said:

Guys, stop fat shaming Tyler, he just has a thyroid problem.

His thyroid has a cheeseburger problem
Farmer1906
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Soooo is everyone still pissed and mad at the astros organization for getting Osuna?
My view hasn't changed. It made sense baseball wise. It was a steal. He served his time with baseball and the courts handed things so he is being allowed to play. I don't have to like him. I don't want players that beat women on the Astros regardless of how good they are.
AstroAggie15
AG
Anyone have tickets for sale to the game tonight?
AgDoc03
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Yuli in his prime

White in his prime

That bottom button on Tyler looks like it's about to have a higher exit velocity than most of his hits.

edit: and probably a higher launch angle, too
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
suburban cowboy
AG
AstroAggie15 said:

https://texags.com/forums/11/topics/3034761
AstroAggie15
AG
suburban cowboy said:

AstroAggie15 said:

https://texags.com/forums/11/topics/3034761

Need 3
W
AG
it was an awkward moment on the broadcast last night when they showed the clip of Julia's being the guest-speaker at Union Station for the Astros foundation domestic violence fundraiser
Deluxe
AG
W said:

it was an awkward moment on the broadcast last night when they showed the clip of Julia's being the guest-speaker at Union Station for the Astros foundation domestic violence fundraiser
Why was it awkward?
Stros Schadenfreude
Deluxe said:

W said:

Why was it awkward?
Osuna walked up and smacked her across the face
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

My opinion on Osuna would greatly change if he came out admitted his mistakes, talked about turning over a new leaf, asked for forgiveness, etc.and then showed he was different. He became a guest speaker at an event like that.

I'm all about forgiveness, but I feel like Osuna was able to work the system and got a very minimal punishment for a terrible act.
W
AG
in AL East news...

the Red Sox made it to .500 yesterday.

the Yankees & Rays play this weekend. NYY could knock Tampa out of 1st place
W
AG
one strange scheduling quirk...Tampa will have played 13 interleague games...before the Astros play their first one on May 27th.

however the 'stros will quickly catch up...playing 13 interleague games between May 27th and the all-star break. Lots of national league on the docket in June
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

My opinion on Osuna would greatly change if he came out admitted his mistakes, talked about turning over a new leaf, asked for forgiveness, etc.and then showed he was different. He became a guest speaker at an event like that.

I'm all about forgiveness, but I feel like Osuna was able to work the system and got a very minimal punishment for a terrible act.

1) How much is he allowed to say publicly at this point? I honestly don't know. Our nature as fans would like him to come forward and address it, but I'm also not sure the terms of his Peace Bond allow him to say much. It would sort of look bad on the Crown/Canadian courts if after he received his bond, he came out and was like "yea, I did it. It's all true. Please forgive me." It's also possible he's doing alot more behind closed doors for the cause of violence against women than we know.

2) Since I don't have access to much information on the matter, I defer my opinion to Hinch and our players. While he may not be able to say much publicly, clearly he's addressed the issue and expressed his contrite privately in the locker room. I'm willing to trust Hinch, Altuve and JV to welcome him onto the team or cast him as an outsider pending the information they gather. It doesn't sound like he's been cast as an outsider...

Quote:

When he did, Osuna addressed the team in English after Hinch introduced him. The manager told Osuna he was "really lucky" to be an Astro, given the cohesiveness of the club and how it would "hold him accountable to the levels of everything that encompasses" it.

"I thought it was incredible," Hinch said of Osuna's ensuing address. "I thought it was the perfect tone, perfect temperament. "But his actions post-meeting over the last six, eight, 10 months have proven the words that he said in (Los Angeles) were exactly who he is and how he's going to be."

Last week, reliever Chris Devenski lost a foosball bet with his bullpen mate. To atone for it, Devenski donned Osuna's game jersey during pregame warmups in Arlington.

"We do everything together as a team. We have one of the closest knit groups imaginable. In my 20 years in the league, this is one of the closest groups of guys I've been around," Hinch said. "It doesn't surprise me that they embraced him and pushed him to be a good person, a good player and a good teammate."

Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

W said:

I agree, if the allegations are 100% true. His light sentence indicates otherwise.

I'll never forget how we bailed out on Julio Lugo and his wife later admitted to fabricating the whole story..
MosesHallRAB04
AG

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha *deep breath* hahahahahahahahahaha
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Ag_07
AG
That's good stuff

Where'd you quote that from?
Deluxe
AG
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/Roberto-Osuna-remains-polarizing-figure-for-Astros-13817811.php

The quotes from my post are toward the bottom.

My only point is that it's hard to know what he's allowed/not allowed to say publicly at this point. We'd all like him to come clean and act contrite but he may not legally be allowed to do so. Everything he's doing/done behind the scenes will remain classified for the time being but I trust Hinch and the leaders of the team to make sure he's following through.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
cc10106
It's all about actions at this point, and I have no doubt the man has said what needs to be said to the right people. No sense in giving people more fodder if they're just going to pile on anyway. I trust the Astros will live up to their no tolerance policy if he even remotely slips up again.
W
AG
20-pitch 1st inning. Getting squeezed low in the zone
First Page Last Page
Page 191 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.