***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,895,154 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you could only extend one of George or Carlos, which would it be?

Carlos plays the more important position and one hardest to replace. You can slide AB over but then the hole is at 3B. But IMHO George is the emotional heart of the team and the better player. I'm signing Springer first.
Harry Dunne
tjholley16 said:

I did not read the last sentence. My bad. I just never understood the Correa hate or negativity over the offseason. He's proven his worth time and time again, especially in the postseason. But people on here still doubt him.
Everyone understands his potential. He was the MVP front-runner for half a season - he got MVP votes in a season he only played 109 games in for crying out loud.

The problem is that he has been brittle. Not just bad luck, it has happened too many times for it to be a coincidence. No one doubts his ability to play baseball but you're silly if you don't doubt his ability to stay healthy.
agsquirrel97
AG
tjholley16 said:

I did not read the last sentence. My bad. I just never understood the Correa hate or negativity over the offseason. He's proven his worth time and time again, especially in the postseason. But people on here still doubt him.
I will admit, I doubt Correa's ability to stay healthy. Healthy Correa is a stud, hard to figure out how to accurately value him.

ETA: Harry beat me to it.
In absentia lucis, Tenebrae vin****.
agsquirrel97
AG
FYI, been out of country (not that anyone missed me) just wanted to state for the record that I have been tracking progress and happy that I probably missed some melt downs by a few residents.

IB4 - humble brag
In absentia lucis, Tenebrae vin****.
Stros Schadenfreude
Duffy vs McHugh should be our toughest matchup of the series, really need that slider cutting and cement mixing.
Stros Schadenfreude
agsquirrel97 said:

tjholley16 said:

I will admit, I doubt Correa's ability to stay healthy. Healthy Correa is a stud, hard to figure out how to accurately value him.

my problem with Correa is that it felt like we were constantly getting blue balled with him. Hyped to the moon and back, flashes of greatness, and then an injury, and then when we thought he was healthy, he would play pretty crappy and make me think he had just lost it. Really happy to see him in this form.
Beat40
Ag_07 said:

tjholley16 said:

I just never understood the Correa hate or negativity over the offseason. He's proven his worth time and time again

No he hasn't. That's why he hasn't been extended and guys like Bregman, Altuve, and JV have.

He's shown flashes and had quite a few question marks coming into this season.

He had a ton to prove and so far he is doing just that. There's nothing wrong with saying that.
The problem is you're conflating his ability with his injuries.

As others have said, the doubts about Correa are his health. Each season, before injury, he has absolutely proven that he can produce at a high level.

His statement that he's proven his worth is true in the sense from an ability standpoint, but it is not true from the health perspective.
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Quote:

"I lead the ship," he said. "Scott will give me information in general. He gives me necessary information for me to make a knowledgeable decision on my future. And if it were up to him I would probably be signed at this point. He wants me out there throwing, pitching, and putting up stats that are quality major league stats. I told him no on numerous deals because it's about principle. It's about fair market value. And I wasn't getting that.

Someone probably already addressed this, but this is not how a fair market works. If the market thought he was worth whatever he thinks, someone would have signed him by now. Moron
Beat40
Stros Schadenfreude said:

agsquirrel97 said:

tjholley16 said:

my problem with Correa is that it felt like we were constantly getting blue balled with him. Hyped to the moon and back, flashes of greatness, and then an injury, and then when we thought he was healthy, he would play pretty crappy and make me think he had just lost it. Really happy to see him in this form.
To be fair, last year, he played crappy because he was still actually bothered by the injury. He just tried to tough it out like George and Altuve did.

I like that quality in him.
Stros Schadenfreude
Beat40 said:

agsquirrel97 said:

tjholley16 said:

To be fair, last year, he played crappy because he was still actually bothered by the injury. He just tried to tough it out like George and Altuve did.

Yeah, that was my fault not his, I assumed he was healthy because he was back in the line-up.
tjack16
AG
I understand the health sentiment with him. But the hype thing is not his fault... he was drafted #1 overall as a 17 year old and everybody said he would be the next A-Rod (minus steroids). It's hard to live up to that hype because if A-Rod hadn't done roids, he'd be considered a top 5 player of all time and 1st ballot hall of famer.

We the fans put too much hype into him, and in his 4 full seasons he's won the AL Rookie of the Year, and was an All Star. He's only 24 and he's accomplished alot already.
PSully97
AG
n_touch said:

Latest on Dallas. "Dallas Keuchel knows what he's worth and will not settle"

If he really wanted to pitch hewould be out there doing so. He still would have been paid millions this year to play a game, maybe not the amount he wanted, but a hell of a lot more than most people make.
Good point.

He could be making $18M in a great environment this year and proving he is worth more than that.
Stros Schadenfreude
It's a real gamble, he's not young enough to waste a year of prime earnings potential; that may be $18,000,000 he'll never get back. There's no way his sitting out is going to increase his value enough to offset his loss this year, unless he gets signed ASAP.
Prosperdick
AG
PSully97 said:

n_touch said:

Latest on Dallas. "Dallas Keuchel knows what he's worth and will not settle"

If he really wanted to pitch hewould be out there doing so. He still would have been paid millions this year to play a game, maybe not the amount he wanted, but a hell of a lot more than most people make.
Good point.

He could be making $18M in a great environment this year and proving he is worth more than that.
Don't forget this is the guy who told Verlander how great a team and environment we have yet he turned down that money. I've watched the Astros for over 40 years and I've never seen a more fun, cohesive core group than the one we've had over the last 3 years. I can only think of a handful of teams over that same span that could match it (late 70's Pirates "we are family" definitely is in that select group).

If he's willing to throw it away for what he thinks will be a few million dollars more per year with another team that VERY likely won't win nearly as many games and DEFINITELY doesn't have the same tight cohesive core...GOOD LUCK!!!!!
Ag_07
AG
Keuchel is exactly who most of thought he was.

A pitcher that any team would be lucky to have but a bit entitled and stuffy.

Going all the way back to his BS about 'Those hits were really outs' to speaking out on the lack of action at the deadline to now this.

Legit pitcher, decent guy, but stuck up and not as good as he thinks he is.

A lot of us on here took some flack in criticizing Dallas, but through all this he's proving us right.
AustinCountyAg
Ag_07 said:

Going all the way back to his BS about 'Those hits were really outs' to speaking out on the lack of action at the deadline to now this.

A lot of us on here took some flack in criticizing Dallas, but through all this he's proving us right.
Looking at his Insta and Twitter posts with the foreign racing cars the dude thinks he is some big time baller. He's an average to above average at times MLB pitcher. He needs to accept that and live his life. He isn't the next coming of Randy Johnson or Roger Clemens. Good Riddance to him

edit: I've posted before saying we need to sign him again. After reading that article he makes Scott Boras look like a genius and a great guy. F Dallas
Ag_07
AG
I mean I'd still sign him but it's clear it wouldn't be anywhere in the same ballpark with what he wants.
Mathguy64
AG
Ag_07 said:

I mean I'd still sign him but it's clear it wouldn't be anywhere in the same ballpark with what he wants.
If the original tender was $16MM I would be at $10MM now. He's lost or will have lost 2 months of the season before he's really up to speed and likely at an elevated risk of injury given the extended time off and him trying to come back too soon.
JDUB08AG
AG
Kind of hope nobody signs him. Feel bad being vindictive, but that attitude is pathetic.
W
AG
Keuchel has become a legend in his own mind
Stros Schadenfreude
Reminds me of a guy trying to tell a car salesman that his car is actually in perfect condition and worth "EXCELLENT" blue book value on trade-in.
Harry Dunne
Ag_07 said:

Yes. I took a lot of heat for saying Dallas was a whiner on both occasions. People are a little more realistic about it now that he's not "our" whiner.

Maybe this is a small thing, but I also didn't like how he flaked out on shaving his beard after making bold proclamations that he would do it if we won. Maybe some of his endorsements were tied to it, and no one was damaged by him going back on a lighthearted "promise", but he just strikes me as a person with an over-inflated sense of self-worth and if he wasn't a pitcher for the Astros he's probably the type of guy who would come up with excuses instead of paying up when he lost a bet.
Ag_07
AG
I hope the Rangers sign him for his full ask.

Fcks both sides
bearkatag15
AG
Looks like we just missed Ohtani

Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
. . .
ChAg1799
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Ag_07 said:

Looking at his Insta and Twitter posts with the foreign racing cars the dude thinks he is some big time baller. He's an average to above average at times MLB pitcher. He needs to accept that and live his life. He isn't the next coming of Randy Johnson or Roger Clemens. Good Riddance to him

edit: I've posted before saying we need to sign him again. After reading that article he makes Scott Boras look like a genius and a great guy. F Dallas
Well he is from Oklahoma and Arkansas... and he does have a certain "holier than though" fancy redneck thing going on. Whats it say that the Yankees didn't bite... and they needed a pitcher.
YellAg2004
AG
ChAg1799 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Ag_07 said:

Well he is from Oklahoma and Arkansas... and he does have a certain "holier than though" fancy redneck thing going on. Whats it say that the Yankees didn't bite... and they needed a pitcher.

We'll then see how important the beard is to him.
bearkatag15
AG
Hopefully this can be a get right game for Jose. He's 9-19 vs Duffy for a .474 average. Also, Springer and Brantley have had some success vs him too.

Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Beat40

Beat40 said:

agsquirrel97 said:

tjholley16 said:

Yeah, that was my fault not his, I assumed he was healthy because he was back in the line-up.

No one's fault. He did play crappy.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

The Starbucks cup...lol
W
AG
standby for the non-stop hype.

128 is the maximum number of games he can play in 2019
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
W
AG
great 1st for McHugh
W
AG
Duffy looks wild
Mathguy64
AG
We give up a metric crap ton of HRs. Fortunately they tend to be lots of solo jobs.
First Page Last Page
Page 174 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.