***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,887,496 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
txag614
How long do you want to ignore this user?
EastCoastAgNc said:

The guys on ESPN just said hinch told them altuve's knee/leg is still bothering him. They commented on how it looked like he was still dragging one leg around the bases and wasn't healthy. Not sure if this is just them blowing hot air or truth.
Kashchei
AG
mwm said:

Can we play all of our games in Mexico?

Don't they already play in Houston?
W
AG
17 of the next 23 games are at Minute Maid
EastCoastAgNc
AG
zgood10
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

AstroAggie15
AG
Tied for best run differential in mlb
Mr.Bond
AG
cap-n-jack said:

I'll bet Ausmus is second guessing himself right about now.

Que
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Pahdz
If that's the same dude that was around when Sammy Sosa was dominating the HR Derby I remember that "no no no no no" call. Great stuff
Frok
AG
We should have played the Twins in Mexico
suburban cowboy
AG
I have two tix to Friday vs. the Rangers in section 111 if any of y'all are interested.

Would do $150 for the pair.

Buck Compton
AG
Mr.Bond said:

cap-n-jack said:

I'll bet Ausmus is second guessing himself right about now.

Que
What's confusing? Most likely referring the pitching change right before the Grand Bregxit...
Mr.Bond
AG
I've been living under a rock..... I had no idea Ausmus was the skipper for LAA
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

bearkatag15
AG
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
bearkatag15
AG
Harry Dunne
EastCoastAgNc said:

The guys on ESPN just said hinch told them altuve's knee/leg is still bothering him. They commented on how it looked like he was still dragging one leg around the bases and wasn't healthy. Not sure if this is just them blowing hot air or truth.
His home plate to 1b speed is still 2nd on the team (to Jake). They have a stat called a "bolt", which is any time a runner gets above 30 ft/sec. and Altuve leads the team with 7 (9th in the AL). Jake has 5, the rest of the team combined has 3.

Altuve's sprint speed has gone down pretty steadily since 2016...

2016 - 28.4 ft/sec.
2017 - 28.3
2018 - 28.1
2019 - 27.9

It's his 29th birthday today, so that's pretty standard aging.

Because it is such an iconic stat, I think that in general people make too much of batting average and freak out over small samples and start scrutinizing other things. His barrel %, exit velocity and hard hit % would be career highs. He on pace for 40+ HR. The batting average will come around.

Farmer1906
AG
We're back to having the clear best offense in baseball yet Altuve is our 6th or 7th best hitter. This feels weird and means we can still get better.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Wonder is Altuve needs another surgery or rest? Maybe the plan is to get to the all star break with hopefully a decent lead, give him a long dl break. Diaz or furrier to 2nd on the regular. Yordan or tucker ****er up for an extended look?
ChAg1799
AG
Queue up the "no Yuli" at second base protests. I am making a sign as I type... I still think Kemp should be able to play 2nd...
Ag_07
AG
I like him as a guy but unfortunately Kemp doesn't belong on this roster. He's slashing .186/.265/.326

If he wasn't out of options he wouldn't be with the big club.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

We're back to having the clear best offense in baseball yet Altuve is our 6th or 7th best hitter. This feels weird and means we can still get better.
We currently have the best OPS in baseball by a pretty wide margin and we're 12th in runs scored. Wouldn't be surprised if an offensive onslaught is upcoming, especially against some bad teams.

Team OPS thus far is .831, which is better than our 2017 record setting offense and better than Boston last year. And that's against a sample of tough pitching (4 vs Tampa, 7 vs Minn, 4 vs Cle) and a disproportionate number of road games. IMO this offense is going to shatter records.
DVC2010
AG
OPS isn't the best tool for this because it doesn't account for season-to-season changes in the run environment, but your point is correct.

The 2019 Astros currently have an MLB-best team wRC+ of 126, which is better than the second-place Mariners (119), the 2017 Astros (122), and much better than the early-season 2017 Astros (108).

Edit: the 2018 Red Sox had a wRC+ of 110.
Harry Dunne
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

Wonder is Altuve needs another surgery or rest? Maybe the plan is to get to the all star break with hopefully a decent lead, give him a long dl break. Diaz or furrier to 2nd on the regular. Yordan or tucker ****er up for an extended look?
Read above, he just needs to keep on getting ABs. He's on pace to hit 40 bombs! He has 4 doubles in his last 5 games!

Why the eff is everyone so desperate to put him on the DL?
Deluxe
AG
You are correct
W
AG
the Royals (12-23) are in town for a 3-game set. KC is just 4-12 on the road.

starting 3 guys named Junis, Duffy, and Lopez --- 2 of them have ERA's over 5.00
mwm
Seems like this response belongs on the "Politics" board.
bearkatag15
AG
David Price put on IL with elbow tendinitis. Astros have a couple weekend series vs Boston 2 and 3 weekends from now

Stros Schadenfreude
Is the ball juiced this year, or is this just an aberration. It seems like we have a ton of dudes absolutely mashing the ball, and it seems to be the same around MLB.

Altuve has a history of hitting around 20+ bombs a year, but is on pace to double that
Brantley tops out a little under 20, and is on pace for 34
Springer is not that much out of the ordinary but is on pace for close to 50
Correa is a bit tougher to average due to his injuries, but he's on pace for about 35 as well as I think.

Khris Davis led the Majors with 48 bombs last year, 2nd place was 43; and there are 14 people in MLB on pace to beat or tie 48.
Farmer1906
AG
Whhhaaaaat? The Mariners came crashing back down to earth. Who could have predicted that?

Stros Schadenfreude
Farmer1906 said:

Whhhaaaaat? The Mariners came crashing back down to earth. Who could have predicted that?

the run differential never lies.
Farmer1906
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Read above, he just needs to keep on getting ABs. He's on pace to hit 40 bombs! He has 4 doubles in his last 5 games!

I think we're overselling the 40 bombs pace thing. He's on pace to have his worst year since 2015 which is still pretty good, just not as great as he's been. He's drastically changed from a high hit, high average type to a typical slugger who pulls everything and puts it in the air. I'm not sure that is going to work for him longer term. But I think he'll get things going how we expected. It's just going to take time.
Harry Dunne
Stros Schadenfreude said:

Is the ball juiced this year, or is this just an aberration. It seems like we have a ton of dudes absolutely mashing the ball, and it seems to be the same around MLB.

Altuve has a history of hitting around 20+ bombs a year, but is on pace to double that
Brantley tops out a little under 20, and is on pace for 34
Springer is not that much out of the ordinary but is on pace for close to 50
Correa is a bit tougher to average due to his injuries, but he's on pace for about 35 as well as I think.

The current HR per game average would be the highest of all time if it holds, just slightly ahead of 2017...but runs scored is pretty standard and well below the 2000ish steroid era peak...and hits would be the lowest per game since 1972!!!

Here is a crazy stat: If the current number holds, batters would strike out more per game than ever in history, and that number has risen slightly ever since 2008...so the last 12 seasons are the top 12 seasons for strikeouts per game, in order.

I think that if the ball was juiced, we'd be seeing more hits, not less. The focus on launch angles and hitting HR is causing a greater percentage of runs to be scored via HR, which does inflate HR numbers but also in part causes more strikeouts and less hits.
Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

Harry Dunne said:

I think we're overselling the 40 bombs pace thing. He's on pace to have his worst year since 2015 which is still pretty good, just not as great as he's been. He's drastically changed from a high hit, high average type to a typical slugger who pulls everything and puts it in the air. I'm not sure that is going to work for him longer term. But I think he'll get things going how we expected. It's just going to take time.
No, he's not going to end up with 40 bombs, but he's also not going to end up hitting .240 - that's the point I'm trying to make. I'd be worried if he was hitting .240 with no power. I don't disagree with anything you wrote, but at the same time I don't think the natural decline of a hitter as he ages is cause for the DL.
rosco511
AG
To me, this suggests MLB balls are definitely juiced.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.baseballamerica.com/stories/new-ball-is-sparking-an-offensive-explosion-in-triple-a/%3famphtml
Stros Schadenfreude
rosco511 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.baseballamerica.com/stories/new-ball-is-sparking-an-offensive-explosion-in-triple-a/%3famphtml
Quote:

Last weekend, Lehigh Valley beat Rochester 20-18 in 10 innings in a game that saw the two teams combine for 15 home runs. Last April, the two teams each had 19 home runs in the entire month of April.
15 home runs in a baseball game, holy sheet.
Harry Dunne
rosco511 said:

Forget the words, look at the numbers. Consider that the only thing that has increased is HR (not runs, not hits, not avg), same as at the MLB level.
First Page Last Page
Page 168 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.