***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,872,529 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Frok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm guessing this is Tyler White's last chance. I keep waiting for him to at least have a pulse. As big as he is you would think he'd at least hit a HR from time to time.
Stros Schadenfreude
My main bummer is how excruciating the games seem to be quite often this year, huge number of people left on base, perfectly sequenced offensive outbursts to where we never actually get anyone across the plate.

I did some quick figuring and it looks like in our 12 losses we've tied or outhit our opponent in 10 out of 12 of the games, with the totals being Astros 80 hits vs 77 hits from the team who have beat us. That's just astounding, and kind of speaks to the "misery index" so to speak of watching them lately.
Wabs
AG
It's time for an infusion of a couple of young players from AAA to shake this team up a bit. Also, time for White to go permanently.
Harry Dunne
Marvin said:

Farmer1906 said:

Weekend Commuter said:

Yuli is old and not very productive. Not driving the ball. Just filling a spot in the lineup. At a position where you need some offensive production.

How many teams have someone better than Yuli in the 7 hole? 8 games ago he was batting over .300 with and .850 OPS. We gotta stop overreacting during a slump.

Agreed on the over reacting and to let more of the season play out.

But, if you look at 2019 production from the first base position, Yuli is currently ranked 23rd in OPS and 40th in WAR. It's not good when you're behind Albert Pujols at this point in his career.

(and I didn't even use batting average in that response- Yuli is actually 14th by that ancient metric)
I agree with this.

He's going to come around and hopefully get back to what he has been over the last couple of years, which is a very good offensive third baseman playing out of position as an above average offensive first baseman.
Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

Weekend Commuter said:

Yuli is old and not very productive. Not driving the ball. Just filling a spot in the lineup. At a position where you need some offensive production.

How many teams have someone better than Yuli in the 7 hole? 8 games ago he was batting over .300 with and .850 OPS. We gotta stop overreacting during a slump.
Great point, and no doubt he will go on a typical pina tear and get back up there and continue that streaky up and down cycle. I think a better question though is, "how many teams have a better first baseman than Yuli?"

https://www.mlb.com/news/top-20-mlb-first-basemen-c301011176

This has him ranked 20th after last season along with this quote:
Quote:

Gurriel took a step back in 2018, and even though he's under team control through '23 and not arbitration eligible until '21, Houston is reportedly already looking into possible replacements at first base. In fact, general manager Jeff Luhnow now says he sees Gurriel in more of a "utility role."
I love Yuli and obviously you wouldn't take back any moves that led to winning a ring. Also it's not his fault he's been forced to play out of position. Based on his numbers in Cuba (triple crown type of stuff), the front office probably expected him to be such a good hitter that it didn't matter where he played. In retrospect, it was an ill-conceived move to commit long-term to another 3b when we had Bregman, Marwin, Carlos (blocking Bregman), JD Davis (starting for the Mets and doing well), Colin Moran (starting for the Pirates and doing decently) and even Beluga White, whose true value is also as a 3b. I'm probably forgetting someone else.
Deluxe
AG
Agreed. I think it's better to look at Yuli's production relative to other 1B rather than his production relative to other 7 hitters, which is a mostly function of us having mashers at non-traditional masher positions (2B, SS and CF).

He was above average in 2017, slightly above average last year and not off to a good start this year. I do like his patient approach at the plate better this year though and definitely want to see a larger sample to see if it's going to pay off.
irish pete ag06
AG
Stros Schadenfreude said:

How do we seem so hopeless lately? I know our record is pretty good. Everything just feels awful
Because we are all spoiled entitled fans who ***** if we aren't 27-0. One World Series was all it took.
irish pete ag06
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Weekend Commuter said:

100%

This team has the 2nd highest wRC+ in the league.
irish pete ag06
AG
Fangraphs Baseruns, which removes sequencing from the equation has our record at 20-9. This team is one of the best in the league. Been running into bad baseball luck a little bit.

https://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts.aspx?position=BaseRuns
Stros Schadenfreude
irish pete ag06 said:

Fangraphs Baseruns, which removes sequencing from the equation has our record at 20-9. This team is one of the best in the league. Been running into bad baseball luck a little bit.

Is there any way to look at how our hitters are doing in high leverage situations?
Wabs
AG

irish pete ag06 said:

Is there any way to look at how our hitters are doing in high leverage situations?
Yes, watch the games. It ain't good.
Ag_07
AG
Wabs said:

It's time for an infusion of a couple of young players from AAA to shake this team up a bit. Also, time for White to go permanently.

This team doesn't need a shake up. They're not down in the dumps cellar dwelling.

Now if you think Yordan deserves a shot because we need production for the DH spot then cool, but to say we need an infusion from the young guys then I completely disagree.

That's something for the Red Sox who are just playing horrible baseball and need to turn it around ASAP. I don't see that as the case for us. This team is good and far from needing a shake up.
Farmer1906
AG
Wabs said:

irish pete ag06 said:

Yes, watch the games. It ain't good.
We have a wRC+ of 121 in high leverage situations. That is good for 4th in baseball.
Farmer1906
AG
A real small sample size here (1 to 19 PA), but our best (>150 wRC+) our Kemp, Diaz, Gurriel, Brantley, Altuve, & Springer. Our worst (<60 wRC+) are White, Marisnick, Stassi, Correa, & Reddick.
TREX01
"I love Yuli and obviously you wouldn't take back any moves that led to winning a ring. Also it's not his fault he's been forced to play out of position. Based on his numbers in Cuba (triple crown type of stuff), the front office probably expected him to be such a good hitter that it didn't matter where he played. In retrospect, it was an ill-conceived move to commit long-term to another 3b when we had Bregman, Marwin, Carlos (blocking Bregman), JD Davis (starting for the Mets and doing well), Colin Moran (starting for the Pirates and doing decently) and even Beluga White, whose true value is also as a 3b. I'm probably forgetting someone else."

This is just crazy talk. The deal the Astros signed Yuli to was as team friendly of a contact as you can find. Moran and Davis were absolute question marks several years ago and still don't have anywhere near the skins on the wall as Yuli. Yuli makes only 8.4 mil next year then is an UFA. White is not, was not and will not ever be a major league caliber 3B. He doesn't have the glove the range or arm. Its why he is a backup 1B and DH. He just doesn't have a position in the bigs. While Yuli's #s are down a bit he's still a bargain for what he is being paid and that won't change next year.
n_touch
Quote:

Because we are all spoiled entitled fans who ***** if we aren't 27-0
I mean, I would be ok with 22-5
Marvin
AG
n_touch said:

Quote:

Because we are all spoiled entitled fans who ***** if we aren't 27-0
I mean, I would be ok with 22-5

Depending on the opponents in those five losses, I think we'd have it in us to complain a bit...
Agnzona
For this team LOB is probably the most important stat. And I will add GNDP.
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
Farmer1906
AG
Agnzona said:

For this team LOB is probably the most important stat. And I will add GNDP.
We're going to have more opportunities to leave people on base and ground into DPs.
Agnzona
That's absolutely true. That's why it's so significant how efficient we are.
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
Ag_07
AG
Without Yuli we'd be going into year 3 of Tyler White or AJ Reed playing 1B.

1B has been an absolute black hole in this organization really since Bagwell. We've missed on quite a few guys like Brett Wallace, Jon Singleton, AJ Reed, etc etc. Yuli has been a great gap filler.

Also an interesting tidbit on Yuli...He wasn't the Gurriel we really wanted but it was thought that if we signed him his brother would follow. Well now lil bro is in AAA because he can't hack it in TOR and Yuli is a mainstay with a WS ring.
Harry Dunne
Ag_07 said:

Without Yuli we'd be going into year 3 of Tyler White or AJ Reed playing 1B.

1B has been an absolute black hole in this organization really since Bagwell. We've missed on quite a few guys like Brett Wallace, Jon Singleton, AJ Reed, etc etc. Yuli has been a great gap filler.

Also an interesting tidbit on Yuli...He wasn't the Gurriel we really wanted but it was thought that if we signed him his brother would follow. Well now lil bro is in AAA because he can't hack it in TOR and Yuli is a mainstay with a WS ring.
Come on man, you're too smart to make dumb hypotheticals like that. WIthout Yuli, White and Reed would have gotten way more opportunities (and probably failed) even more quickly and that $26M we have paid him over the last two seasons would have gone to someone like Jose Abreu.
Harry Dunne
TREX01 said:

"I love Yuli and obviously you wouldn't take back any moves that led to winning a ring. Also it's not his fault he's been forced to play out of position. Based on his numbers in Cuba (triple crown type of stuff), the front office probably expected him to be such a good hitter that it didn't matter where he played. In retrospect, it was an ill-conceived move to commit long-term to another 3b when we had Bregman, Marwin, Carlos (blocking Bregman), JD Davis (starting for the Mets and doing well), Colin Moran (starting for the Pirates and doing decently) and even Beluga White, whose true value is also as a 3b. I'm probably forgetting someone else."

This is just crazy talk. The deal the Astros signed Yuli to was as team friendly of a contact as you can find. Moran and Davis were absolute question marks several years ago and still don't have anywhere near the skins on the wall as Yuli. Yuli makes only 8.4 mil next year then is an UFA. White is not, was not and will not ever be a major league caliber 3B. He doesn't have the glove the range or arm. Its why he is a backup 1B and DH. He just doesn't have a position in the bigs. While Yuli's #s are down a bit he's still a bargain for what he is being paid and that won't change next year.

I'm not sure what argument you're trying to make here. My point was that Yuli would be a better value at 3b, but 3b for the Astros has been and will be taken and the money would have been better spent on a better offensive 1b.

Yuli is a very good player and has been a solid value. Abreu or an elite offensive 1b would be a better value at 1b/DH than Yuli, who is just above average.

Farmer1906
AG
Harry Dunne said:

TREX01 said:

I'm not sure what argument you're trying to make here. My point was that Yuli would be a better value at 3b, but 3b for the Astros has been and will be taken and the money would have been better spent on a better offensive 1b.

Yuli is a very good player and has been a solid value. Abreu or an elite offensive 1b would be a better value at 1b/DH than Yuli, who is just above average.

That all depends on the cost of the better 1B.
Harry Dunne
Definitely true. Yuli has been, is ($12M) and will hopefully continue to be a solid deal.

The fact that he's our "worst" spot is just a testament to how good all the other spots are. Doesn't mean we can't dream of improving on that.
Ag_07
AG
Good point.

But my point being that Yuli emerging as a solid 1B saved us from White or Reed being an everyday 1B for some amount of time.

That position has been in a rough spot for awhile. Hopefully Yordan changes that trend but I do think Yuli bailed us out a bit.
TREX01
The Astros didn't sign Yuli strictly to play 3B. They didn't draft Bregman to be a SS. They went after players that could help fill their roster as positions of need. The Astros spent a moderate amount of money on a guy who was a monumental part of being the team a championship. 3B was never a position of strength. Until Bregman proved he could do it that had been a position of crap for some time. Let's not revise history to make it look different
Bulldog73
AG
I remember the year of Vinny. What a fun year that was.
Harry Dunne
TREX01 said:

The Astros didn't sign Yuli strictly to play 3B. They didn't draft Bregman to be a SS. They went after players that could help fill their roster as positions of need. The Astros spent a moderate amount of money on a guy who was a monumental part of being the team a championship. 3B was never a position of strength. Until Bregman proved he could do it that had been a position of crap for some time. Let's not revise history to make it look different
Not revising history at all. We certainly didn't sign him to play 1b - there is not even a mention of 1b - they even talk about corner OF. His rookie year he only made 4 starts at 1b. He even made a start in LF!

Astros Sign Yulieski Gurriel

Quote:

Then, there's the question of how the 'Stros will deploy Gurriel. The organization already has a superstar combination up the middle, with Carlos Correa and Jose Altive, which would seem to make Gurriel a fit at third. But highly touted shortstop prospect Alex Bregman is pressing for a call-up, and he too would seemingly command a spot on the left side of the infield.

It's certainly possible that Bregman will beat Gurriel to the majors, as he is obviously already in mid-season playing form. But if the two both vie for time this year, it seems that Gurriel will be the choice at third, as Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports tweets that Houston sees him fitting at the hot corner. It's impossible to imagine the Astros dealing Correa or Alture, while Bregman would be untouchable for anything short of a top-end, controllable starter, so there seems to be a bit of a logjam here. Either the youngster or (perhaps more likely) the veteran Cuban could ultimately end up in the corner outfield whether this year or in the future.
Astros ink deal with Cuban star Y. Gurriel

Quote:

The veteran infielder, who can play second base and third base, projects to hit .285 with 15-18 home runs and 85 RBIs in the big leagues. He's been described as a more fluid and athletic Jeff Kent...Gurriel's immediate role on the Astros is a little bit unclear. Jose Altuve is entrenched at second base in Houston for years to come, and Alex Bregman, the club's top prospect, was just moved from shortstop to third base in the Minors in deference to current shortstop Carlos Correa, who is also not going anywhere. Many thought that Bregman would take over at third for Luis Valbuena, who is eligible for free agency this winter, in 2017. The signing of Gurriel clouds the picture a little bit, but it's possible the Astros see him as a super-utility type who could get regular at-bats filling in at third base, second base, and even left field.
Bonus points to the second article for the super accurate offensive prediction. It also stands to reason that a guy who profiles offensively like he does is not who you want as your long-term solution at 1b any more than the guy he replaced in 2016 (Marwin).
mwm
Sorry, Pete, but I take offense to being compared to the "fans" from DFW/Arlington.
TREX01
He only played in 36 games his rookie year. 7 of those at DH. So in his 29 other appearances he had 5 games when he manned 1B. My comment on revising history was making it sound like we had a group of all stars in front of him when in reality we had a bunch of question marks. The Astros did the right thing in putting together pieces that could possibly fit in multiple spots. All of it was pure speculation until he showed up and started hitting.
Ag_07
AG
Deluxe
AG
Ag_07 said:

Gerrit will be used to that from his Pittsburgh days
Harry Dunne
TREX01 said:

He only played in 36 games his rookie year. 7 of those at DH. So in his 29 other appearances he had 5 games when he manned 1B. My comment on revising history was making it sound like we had a group of all stars in front of him when in reality we had a bunch of question marks. The Astros did the right thing in putting together pieces that could possibly fit in multiple spots. All of it was pure speculation until he showed up and started hitting.
For the most part, I agree with you.

I don't think Bregman was considered a question mark...and the fact of the matter is Marwin, Moran and Davis are all decent or better starting MLB 3b right now. Meanwhile we are still playing a third baseman out of position at 1b.

Going back and reading all that stuff was actually pretty eye-opening for me. Looks like Yuli was actually brought in to be more of a Marwin type and after the way things have actually played out it's funny that he was actually considered to be ahead of Bregman for the 3b job.
. . .
First Page Last Page
Page 156 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.