***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,912,861 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Bregxit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Josh with the leather!
Harry Dunne
Bad Juan
spadilly
S
Ballgame!
Marvin
AG
I'm beginning to wonder if Tyler White sees June in Houston. He better be praying every night that his teammates keep hitting the cover off the ball.
Harry Dunne
Too small of sample size, but it does not inspire confidence when he shows up for the most important baseball season of his life looking like a well-fed manatee.

Then again, no one complained that Tony Gwynn and Kirby Puckett were fat, because they Raked
W
AG
White almost has 40 plate appearances. If he doesn't turn it around by the time he reaches 50 PA's...he may go down
Mathguy64
AG
Pretty sure White is out of options. If so, you can't send him down without exposing him. And I can't see them doing that.
tjack16
AG

Really fun night at the ball park!
Bregxit
AG
mathguy86 said:

Pretty sure White is out of options. If so, you can't send him down without exposing him. And I can't see them doing that.
And I am guessing he gets a bit more rope as well due to his contributions the last two seasons....but his bat looks really slow this year and he only hit .205 in the spring as well (9-44) so who knows?
ChAg1799
AG
They are in a spot to be able to cut bait with the shark.... trade him in the next month or release him. If he keep hitting like this he may end up making it through waivers... it's part of the hard choices Luhnow has to make with a WS caliber team.
Prosperdick
AG
Got a nice chuckle from my section tonight when White first came up and it flashed his weight at 225....and I yelled "225...yeah, in his bra."
ClickClack
AG
Prosperdick said:

Got a nice chuckle from my section tonight when White first came up and it flashed his weight at 225....and I yelled "225...yeah, in his bra."

Faustus
dlance said:

Forum Troll said:

dlance said:

Forum Troll said:

Charlie Conway said:

How does the ball bounce off padding like that, it doesn't, it disappears, hot something and bounced back

I'm almost certain the ball hit the padding, hit that red thing and came back into play.

And that would be a ground rule double right?

Not sure if its considered in play or not. I was thinking it wasn't.

I don't know the wall contact rules in Arlington.
Swingers welcome.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
jja79
AG
The hook em horns is a nice touch.
tjack16
AG
jja79 said:

The hook em horns is a nice touch.

Nah my dad would disown my azz so fast

(though one of my Aggie friends from out of state thought the same thing)
iBrad
AG
Revisiting the Gerrit Cole trade, the Pirates' return is starting to look better and better. Musgrove is off to a phenomenal start, Moran has proven to be a productive MLB hitter, and Jason Martin has looked pretty good so far in his debut season.

The more that the guys we trade pan out, the more likely it is that we'll find trade partners. JD Davis having success with the Mets helps, too, because we have more prospects at the AAA level that are blocked and need to be moved.
iBrad
AG
We had these three third basemen at the same time recently. It'll be interesting to see how long the other two can keep pace with Bregman this year and how they do over their career, as they are all still young. Bregman and Davis are both 25. Moran is 26.

Moran .300/.400/.567 with 2 HR
Davis .300/.417/.540 with 3 HRs
Bregman .295/.389/.492 with 3 HRs
Furlock Bones
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Too small of sample size, but it does not inspire confidence when he shows up for the most important baseball season of his life looking like a well-fed manatee.

Then again, no one complained that Tony Gwynn and Kirby Puckett were fat, because they Raked

Exactly. Tony and Kirby mashed. Ortiz mashed. The problem is Tyler turned up noticeably heavier around his waste and isn't hitting crap. He's not even close to hitting. His at bats are atrocious.

It makes it look like he didn't work very hard in the offseason.
shano0603
AG
dlance said:

Yall should go check the Daddario thread on the Entertainment board fast

I need a PM
shano0603
AG
When does Alvarez get a shot?

Is it a situation where we are waiting until a certain date for another year of control?
astros4545
AG
. . . said:

I'd live to hear the logic from anyone who believes that wasn't a homerun
Mathguy64
AG
It's MLB and they get about half their reviews wrong?

It's MLB and they review things in 360i on Zenith TVs?

It's MLB and it's the same group that employs Joe West, Ron Kulpa and Angel Hernandez?

Take your pick.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
JDUB08AG
AG
I was watching the rangers broadcast and even they were questioning how that wasn't a homerun
Bregxit
AG
astros4545 said:

. . . said:

The ball clearly hit the padding (you can see the padding change shape) and came back into the field of play on the replay which is a ball in play. I suspect the ricochet was due to whatever is immediately backing the padding. The padding that is raised in front of the kid in the photo is not just flopping in the breeze.

Basically it was an inch short of being a homer.
CHEN Ag 2019
AG
dlance said:

astros4545 said:

. . . said:

The ball clearly hit the padding (you can see the padding change shape) and came back into the field of play on the replay which is a ball in play. I suspect the ricochet was due to whatever is immediately backing the padding. The padding that is raised in front of the kid in the photo is not just flopping in the breeze.

not sure you can say clearly, as both broadcasts thought it was a home run. My guess is it was a "call stands" where they couldn't overturn it but they couldn't prove it went over the wall.

I'm like 98% sure it was a home run
astros4545
AG
I see what you are saying now

Certainly possible

The real question is why didn't that young Aggie fan grab the ball as it inches into the padding. Are we really raising our kids to be Rangers fans?

Embarrassing new army
tjack16
AG
I think the call on the field dictated it. Had they called it a homerun at first and then reviewed it, would've stood as well I'm sure

I'm just surprised that Chirinos was not able to score on that from first. The ball took a weird balance and he should've been going on contact with two outs anyways
Bregxit
AG
Jtayers23 said:

dlance said:

astros4545 said:

. . . said:

not sure you can say clearly, as both broadcasts thought it was a home run. My guess is it was a "call stands" where they couldn't overturn it but they couldn't prove it went over the wall.

I'm like 98% sure it was a home run

Can't say the ball clearly hit the padding? Watch the video...you can see the padding squish when the ball hits it.
CHEN Ag 2019
AG
Definitely my thought as well. I'm not mad at the call, that's one that's easy to miss and didn't change the outcome of the game.
CHEN Ag 2019
AG
I misread your post, thought you said the ball was clearly in play. I can see it hitting the top of the padding, then presumably hitting the red railing behind it, then bouncing back into play. If that's the case, I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be a home run. The rationale for that is if it hits the exact top of the wall and goes over, it's a home run. Usually there is a yellow stripe that helps indicate this but not here unfortunately. Either way, George smoked that ball on a terrible swing, which is awesome.
Philip J Fry
AG
You can see the ball disappear momentarily. Not sure how you can say it hit anything but the shelf behind it.
titanmaster_race
Sooo why do the rangers not paint the top of the fence in yellow like everyone else?
Mathguy64
AG
titanmaster_race said:

Sooo why do the rangers not paint the top of the fence in yellow like everyone else?

Paint costs money. And they have a $1.1B multiuse, fake grass, bad copy of Minute Maid to pay for.
First Page Last Page
Page 114 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.