***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,890,270 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
rosco511
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JRC0811 said:

I'm mostly a lurker, but, does Nuke LaLoosh normally respond to his own comments and semi-talk to himself?

It is best to just let Nuke be...Hinch does not want him to get rattled or angry.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
JRC0811 said:

I'm mostly a lurker, but, does Nuke LaLoosh normally respond to his own comments and semi-talk to himself?

YOU PEOPLE SHOULD CARE MORE ABOUT THIS ARTICLE
Mathguy64
AG
That umpire bad call article is flawed. There was a much better one last year on fangraphs. I can find it right now but if I do I will link it in Its not so much the % of wrong calls but the consistency. Basically its a variation issue. Missing wide or wide and high isn't as bad as it sounds if the ump is internally consistent and always calling that every time. Some guys are internally consistent and some are just random goat ****ers. If I recall, Angel was one of the random bad guys
Ag_07
AG
You guys make way too big a deal about umpires.

To me 14 bad calls per game isn't that bad. That's 14 out of what about 300 pitches per game. Not a big deal in my eyes.

Plus at the end of the day the best teams end up playing each other for the championship every year. I don't think it makes that much of a difference. Frustrating during the game yes but not a big deal in the big picture.

I know...Roast me. But I think y'all are making a mountain out of a molehill.
astros4545
AG
Another potential photo shop idea

streetfighter2012
AG
yayaggies
I agree that a dozen bad calls per game is no big deal IN THE REGULAR SEASON.

MLB playoffs tend to be more of a random crapshoot than other sports and if you add poor umpires into the mix it makes it far worse. How do you know that the best two teams make the World Series every year? Most years it is simply not true.

While Boston had a better record last year, an argument could be made that we were a better team in the regular season. In our playoff series we lost in 5 but each game turned on a couple plays and at least one game turned on an umpires call. To say 70 bad calls didn't affect the series is crazy.

The Astros actually had more hits, base runners, and a higher slugging percentage in the 5 games. Not to sound bitter (maybe I still am) but last years playoff series just sticks in my mind as a shining example of the importance of each pitch in a playoff scenario.

As baseball fans we should expect the league to take the performance of umpires seriously.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Ag_07 said:

You guys make way too big a deal about umpires.

To me 14 bad calls per game isn't that bad. That's 14 out of what about 300 pitches per game. Not a big deal in my eyes.

Plus at the end of the day the best teams end up playing each other for the championship every year. I don't think it makes that much of a difference. Frustrating during the game yes but not a big deal in the big picture.

I know...Roast me. But I think y'all are making a mountain out of a molehill.

I don't think 300 pitches per game is accurate. Keep in mind any ball that a batter swings at isn't "called" by the umpire... and also throw out any pitches that are blatantly outside the zone.

14 missed calls per game out of say 50-80 balls in the "fringe" area is a huge deal.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
mathguy86 said:

That umpire bad call article is flawed. There was a much better one last year on fangraphs. I can find it right now but if I do I will link it in Its not so much the % of wrong calls but the consistency. Basically its a variation issue. Missing wide or wide and high isn't as bad as it sounds if the ump is internally consistent and always calling that every time. Some guys are internally consistent and some are just random goat ****ers. If I recall, Angel was one of the random bad guys

You're throwing out a lot of valid analysis on this article. We aren't talking "good or bad" calls, we are talking "right and wrong" calls. The strike zone is specifically defined.

How does your theory explain the variance in young vs old umps? Are you suggesting that young umps just have a better handle of the actual strike zone? If so, they should be the ones calling games.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Also, screw the "big picture". If it's game 7 of the WS, bases loaded on a 3-2 count and a wrong call is made, it changes history... just like it could in literally any game leading up to those teams being in the WS.
shano0603
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

JRC0811 said:

YOU PEOPLE SHOULD CARE MORE ABOUT THIS ARTICLE

What do you mean "YOU PEOPLE?!?!"
rosco511
AG
Considering the amount of pitches for which there is really no question that it is a ball or strike, there is a foul ball, or the ball is otherwise put in play, I personally think that 1.5-2.5 missed pitches each inning is eye opening and a concern and is not really an immaterial amount.
Mr.Ackar07
rosco511 said:

Considering the amount of pitches for which there is really no question that it is a ball or strike, there is a foul ball, or the ball is otherwise put in play, I personally think that 1.5-2.5 missed pitches each inning is eye opening and a concern and is not really an immaterial amount.
You sure about that?

rosco511
AG
Haha, clearly there are exceptions.
W
AG
checking in with the Chris Sale extension...shelled again today in the Fenway opener.

only reaching 91 with his fastball
n_touch
This is going to further hurt long term deals for pitchers. Dallas should take note.
Farmer1906
AG

Big blow to Cleveland.
DVC2010
AG
They built their team to be just good enough to win a bad division and then count on good luck in the postseason. I hope Minnesota makes them pay for it.
Farmer1906
AG
Agreed. They are wasting some legit pitching.
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

checking in with the Chris Sale extension...shelled again today in the Fenway opener.

only reaching 91 with his fastball

He started fairly low (velo) in 16 and ramped up only to come back down. Then last year he started slow then really ramped up only to fall again. This year is down again. Lower than ever before. I would not feel safe paying him another 5(?) years.
bearkatag15
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Big blow to Cleveland.

Bet they call Dallas up
Prime0882
AG
Big blow to my fantasy team.
Ags #1
AG
Mike Clevinger is not that special
Farmer1906
AG
Ags #1 said:

Mike Clevinger is not that special

Farmer1906
AG
JRC0811 said:

Big blow to my fantasy team.

Rule of thumb. No one cares about your FF team no matter the situation.
n_touch
Think he has a lot more problems if he has him on his FF team
Kashchei
AG
Time to blow it up in Cleveland. I'll take Kluber instead of Keuchel, thank you very much.
Mathguy64
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

mathguy86 said:

You're throwing out a lot of valid analysis on this article. We aren't talking "good or bad" calls, we are talking "right and wrong" calls. The strike zone is specifically defined.

How does your theory explain the variance in young vs old umps? Are you suggesting that young umps just have a better handle of the actual strike zone? If so, they should be the ones calling games.
Im not throwing it out but I am suggesting there is more to it than "right" or "wrong" Umpires have tendencies. If you know he gives the call wide to right handed hitters you know you have to protect that side and can work with that. Its the wrong call but if he is consistent you can deal with that. I'm not talking about 10" wide but just off he black wide. A pitcher will exploit it and a hitter will protect it. That's fine until the ump gets random. If he only calls that a strike half the time now guys are pissed because he's inconsistent. The fangraphs article looked at the variance/inconsistency. They rated umps based on both correctness of call and internal variance. Correct and consistent is ideal. Incorrect and inconsistent is Angel Hernandez. Or Ron Kulpa the other night.
. . .
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
It's just silly to me that we are now saying "wrong is okay if you're consistent about the wrongness"

A strike zone is right and wrong, black and white. If you consistently give 2" on the corner, you're consistently wrong. Crazy.
bearkatag15
AG
Best lineup we have by far
rosco511
AG
Yep, nothing wrong with Eric Gregg's strikeout zone back in the day in the playoffs because at least he was consistent in calling the outside pitch a strike.
bearkatag15
AG

Yuli's brother stole home with Chris Sale pitching earlier today... Sale has been pretty horrific to start the year. After today has a 9 ERA and gave up 5 ER in 4 IP vs the Blue Jays today. Woof
Marvin
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

It's just silly to me that we are now saying "wrong is okay if you're consistent about the wrongness"

A strike zone is right and wrong, black and white. If you consistently give 2" on the corner, you're consistently wrong. Crazy.

And yet the players ask for just that- consistency. It's no different than the "neighborhood" force out that was part of double plays turned at second base. It's been addressed now, but for years it was accepted by the players because it kept middle infielders from being killed. They had no choice but to address it once instant replay came around. The strike zone might be on a similar course correction.

Speaking of, nothing irritated me more than strike calls in the 1980's (I think it was back then), when Maddux and Glavine got five inches off the plate, but a down-the-middle fastball at the belt was considered up in zone. Agh!
Mathguy64
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

I didn't say its ok. I said you can plan for it. What you cant plan for is inconsistent. ML players say all the time that all they want is consistent.

Yes, ideal is 100% right. You aren't going to get that. So do you want wrong and random or wrong and consistent?
First Page Last Page
Page 61 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.