Angels signing Trout to a 12 year extension worth $430 Million

3,290 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Old School Rucking
Ag13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
WOW

$100 million more than Harper got

Biggest contract in pro sports history (by a mile)
Know Your Enemy
AG
Barely more than what Greinke got per year and it's a long deal but he's a young guy. Will be 39 when it ends. Great deal for the Angels, IMO.
astros4545
AG
Wow
PhatMack19
AG
Silvertaps
AG
How much guaranteed?
dshedd41
S
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26306935/sources-angels-trout-430m-extension

Quote:

The 27-year-old Trout, who has won two American League MVP awards and finished second four times, will receive an average of nearly $36 million a year, topping Zack Greinke's previous record average of $34.4 million with the Arizona Diamondbacks. The $430 million-plus total is more than 30 percent larger than the $330 million deal Bryce Harper signed with the Philadelphia Phillies on March 2 and bests boxer Canelo Alvarez's deal with DAZN by more than $65 million.
Gig’em Aggies!
The Lost
Seems like a solid deal for both sides. I'm sure LAA is happy to not have to go through the FA circus, not that that really seems like trouts thing.

Will be interesting to see how common the lock up before FA occurs.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Silvertaps said:

How much guaranteed?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it's baseball and it wasn't an arbitration agreement, so... all of it.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Unless I fudged a number that $4090 an hour asleep or awake for the next 12 years.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Silvertaps said:

How much guaranteed?
NFL is the only pro sport without fully guaranteed contracts.
Kashchei
AG
So he's really only making about 258MM... The Peoples Republic of Kalifornia thanks him for his generous tax contributions.
Max Power
AG
Most of the players in MLB have a primary residence established in a state without income tax, like Florida or Texas. Wouldn't think his agent and accountant would have his residence strictly in CA due to their tax situation.
Mike Elko
AG
Holy F, what a contract. Too bad he plays for the Angels...
WoMD
Max Power said:

Most of the players in MLB have a primary residence established in a state without income tax, like Florida or Texas. Wouldn't think his agent and accountant would have his residence strictly in CA due to their tax situation.

Harper's primary reason that he gave for not signing with a California team (SF primarily) was because of the taxes. He was demanding more to compensate for this.

Also factor in, California doesn't mess around with scenarios you outlined above. If they suspect that you live in California but are pretending that you don't, they WILL find out. Especially a high profile contract in the millions. Hell, they tried to get money from my parents after we moved from San Jose to Houston after my dad started his new job at Enron. He told them to **** off, we don't live there any more. They will assume you live in California by default in order to get their payout.
The Lost
Max Power said:

Pretty sure they get taxed by each state for each game played in said state.
wangus12
AG
Real question is did he just cost himself a chance at a ring?
astros4545
AG
As long as the Astros reside in the AL West
Frok
AG
If anyone deserved a $400 million contract it was Trout. It's just fun imagining that kind of money. I wonder what it is like to be able to buy anything.

Ag13
AG
Max Power said:

Each state that has income taxes charges taxes for days worked in the state. For a pro athlete that means when games are played in the state. The angels play 81 home games in Anaheim and a high number of games in Oakland as they are in division. They will also play the dodgers every year and occasionally the giants and padres. Point being they play a ton of their games in California (over half) and you better believe California will be counting those out.
W
AG
maybe some day the Angels will wake up and spend money on pitching.

what they're going to pay Trout, Pujols, and Upton over the next 2 years is absurd. Close to $90 MM per season
Kashchei
AG
W said:

maybe some day the Angels will wake up and spend money on pitching.

what they're going to pay Trout, Pujols, and Upton over the next 2 years is absurd. Close to $90 MM per season

Astros fans aren't complaining
The Milkman
AG
Ag13 said:

Max Power said:

Each state that has income taxes charges taxes for days worked in the state. For a pro athlete that means when games are played in the state. The angels play 81 home games in Anaheim and a high number of games in Oakland as they are in division. They will also play the dodgers every year and occasionally the giants and padres. Point being they play a ton of their games in California (over half) and you better believe California will be counting those out.
I dont think it matters where you live or where your "primary residence" is. You are taxed based on where the money is earned I thought. If he works out/practices/plays in California then its a day of tax there. A friend of mine that was an agent in the NBA said he would have to do approximately 17 different tax returns for his players and track where they practiced, played, filmed ads, had meetings etc every day of the year.

Guys must be thrilled if their team does spring training in Florida vs Arizona.
W
AG
no we're not.

the Angels need to go ahead and lock in Ohtani for $40 MM per season
astros4545
AG
Interesting on the Florida vs az spring training

Do players get paid with a game check essentially? So 162 game checks, and taxes determined on where those are played?

Does spring training make it like 192 game checks?

Anyone know?

Or is it just salary divided by 365
94chem
MosesHallRAB04 said:

Unless I fudged a number that $4090 an hour asleep or awake for the next 12 years.
Well, I think you forgot leap years, but yeah, that's right.
BMX Bandit
Some incorrect things said above.

If they live over 183 days in California, all of the athletes income is subject to state income tax, with a credit for "jock tax" paid on other states.

If they live less than 183 days, then they are taxed on the games played in the state and taxed in other states also.

toucan82
Damn, I knew I should have been a very good baseball player
Buck Compton
AG
astros4545 said:

Interesting on the Florida vs az spring training

Do players get paid with a game check essentially? So 162 game checks, and taxes determined on where those are played?

Does spring training make it like 192 game checks?

Anyone know?

Or is it just salary divided by 365
It doesn't matter how your checks are distributed. You were employed and were there as part of work and make over that state's minimum tax, you pay taxes. Period. There are also some rules about your home office or place of employment location and taxable income (I can't employ you in California, but let you work from home just across the border in Nevada to avoid the tax).

If you live in a state, then all of your income is taxed in that state (generally with some exemptions or deductions for other state taxes).

If you don't live there, you'll typically only owe on the portion of your annual pay that you "earned" while you were in that state. I travel every week for work and had to file 11 state tax returns this year (CA, RI, MA, NY, NJ, WI, ID, CO, GA, IL, VA). Thankfully my employer covers any additional tax and the cost for having someone file them (none of the online programs will support this many states).

The two most tedious states if you have significant income in them though are New York and California.
Old School Rucking
AG
Great read on Mike Trout and baseball as a dying sport (maybe?).

https://deadspin.com/baseball-will-outlive-these-complaints-too-1833608915/amp
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.