John Wetteland: Actually a terrible human being

3,446 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Corporal Punishment
BohunkAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Awful story.

Old Tom Morris
If I recall, there were some clubhouse issues with him because he tended to be the extremely judgmental type of Christian. I think he also went full looney-bird 8-9 years ago with a possible suicide attempt or something.
bam02
AG
Disgusting and sad.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Tap the brakes a bit, please. This is an allegation that was said to have occurred well over a decade ago to someone who just now came forward about something that happened to him when he was 4-6. That doesn't mean it didn't occur but it will be difficult to prove. There is no indication as of yet as to who this person is or why he was with Wetteland at the time.
Ags #1
AG
Why would they charge him if they didn't have enough to proceed with the case?
MattAg06
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

If I recall, there were some clubhouse issues with him because he tended to be the extremely judgmental type of Christian. I think he also went full looney-bird 8-9 years ago with a possible suicide attempt or something.
I think you are thinking of Chad Curtis, who is...also...a sex offender. Had no idea until I googled him. Man, I just looked up Curtis' history, and that guy is a huge POS. Just a complete scumbag all the way through.

Something always seemed a little off about Wetteland...can't remember if he was an aggressive Christian evangelist or not. Still, he's a total scumbag assuming this is true, which it certainly looks like.
astros4545
AG
Ags #1 said:

It's about the seriousness of the charge
AV8R
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Tap the brakes a bit, please. This is an allegation that was said to have occurred well over a decade ago to someone who just now came forward about something that happened to him when he was 4-6. That doesn't mean it didn't occur but it will be difficult to prove. There is no indication as of yet as to who this person is or why he was with Wetteland at the time.

This ^^^ one of John Wetteland's daughters has come out and said none of this is true. I've got family members who are close to Liberty Christian School and have known the Wetteland's for a long time and have heard that this is the doing of John's ex-wife. All I've ever heard about her is that she has has been a terror to John for years. Neither of their daughters invited their mom to their weddings. I've heard other things as well but all I'll say is let's wait and see what details come from it all and not just assume he's guilty.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

You'd have to ask the prosecutor. There was nothing in the news article about an indictment and it stated that the complaint was made less than a week ago. I'm wondering on what basis an arrest warrant was issued. If this thing does go to the grand jury and Wetteland goes to testify (which may or may not be a smart thing) he COULD get no-billed and the case goes away. If that happens, a LOT of people will have egg on their faces including newspapers who didn't publish arrest records of others.

Remember the Duke Lacrosse case? All I'm saying is that there will be plenty of time to roast this guy if he did what he is accused of doing. Is there any harm in waiting until the facts come out to do that instead of jumping on the assumption that a prosecutor, acting on less than a week's work on an allegation of an event not told for 14-16 years, is telling you to trust him even though he isn't telling you much?
W
AG
as an aside...why is Wetteland in the Rangers hall of fame? He only played 4 years in Arlington
Old Tom Morris
While it was just 4 years, he put up 150 saves and retired as the organization's all-time saves leader, which also made him integral to 2 of the first 3 times the franchise ever made the playoffs (97 and 99, which happened after their first ever appearance in 96). In 2005, it was a 30 year old franchise where about the only real success it had was during the time he was there. So yeah, kind of a weak candidate to have in a team hall of fame, but the timing/context played a role.
94chem
In the Rangers first playoffs (1996), Mariano Rivera was still the 8th inning guy for NY, and Wetteland was the closer. Wetteland joined the Rangers in 1997. I remember this because I'll never forget that against NY in 1996, Darren Oliver spun an 8 inning gem and was sent out to pitch the 9th because Texas didn't have an effective closer. NY came back and won the game, and won the series 3-1. If Wetteland had been a Ranger one year sooner, Texas perhaps wins that series, gets over its mental block against NY, and history would have been very different.

Fast forward 15 years to game 6. Who else but a decrepit Darren Oliver trots out of the Rangers' pen, surrenders singles to two slap hitting lefties and a sac bunt to the pitcher, setting the stage for Lance Berkman's wet newspaper, game-tying single (you know, the guy who quit trying in Houston, tried for a year in STL, then took some money from TEX before quitting again).

Anyway, that's what John Wetteland makes me think about.
powerbelly
AG
W said:

as an aside...why is Wetteland in the Rangers hall of fame? He only played 4 years in Arlington
He is the rangers all time saves leader.
Corporal Punishment
AG
Quote:

I remember this because I'll never forget that against NY in 1996, Darren Oliver spun an 8 inning gem and was sent out to pitch the 9th because Texas didn't have an effective closer. NY came back and won the game, and won the series 3-1.
What I remember most was that Rivera was so dominant as a setup man, I was actually relieved when they brought in Wetteland.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.