Offseason Rule Changes?

2,493 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jkag89
Buck Compton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Congrats to the Red Sox. They dominated this year's Playoffs. They're the champs now until someone knocks them off.

As we head into the offseason, the MLB has quite a few things to work on rule-wise. In both the regular season and the playoffs, there were quite a few high-profile blunders.

#1 - Replay
They have to get this right. Either limit the times it's able to be used, or get more/better cameras. and I'm not talking about just Joe West. I saw multiple safe / out calls missed this year as well.

First things first though, besides just having competent personnel (likely won't ever happen), I think you need a dedicated replay review official in each stadium or at least you need team visibility into the New York Black Box replay room.

Second thing, you shouldn't be limited in the number of challenges. I get wanting the game to move faster thing, but make the clock to decide 15-20 seconds instead of 30.

Third, and this isn't just replays, but we need more public accountability for umpires. Whether it's a press conference, publishing their rough grades (just a letter grade, maybe even for each series, or have suspensions for egregious calls. Too many umps are making it about themselves. If they want to interject themselves, then they get to face the same criticisms as players.

#2 - Pine Tar
Exhibit A: http://imgur.com/a/MlzSJHP

I'm sure there are many others (shiny arms, gloves, etc.). I'm sure at least one player on literally every team this year used it. If they're not going to check and no one cares, the rule should be changed. It's just too effing obvious at this point. Change the rule or start enforcing it. Period.

Any chance this type of stuff gets any real traction this off-season? Any other rules you expect to see tweaked?
10andBOUNCE
AG
Is it this offseason or next that the DH rule could come to the NL?
dummble
AG
I think video review should default to the golden rule of baseball. Tie goes to the runner.

If you cannot rule the play one way or the other, give it to the runner.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
dummble said:

I think video review should default to the golden rule of baseball. Tie goes to the runner.
The "golden rule" is a myth outside of backyard baseball.
The Milkman
AG
Absolutely a myth. The rule states that a runner is out when:

Quote:

He or the next base is tagged before he touches the next base, after he has been forced to advance by reason of the batter becoming a runner.

If it's a "tie" then the runner did not beat the throw. The rule is written with the defense in mind.
KT 90
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

Is it this offseason or next that the DH rule could come to the NL?

Eventually we need the same rule in both leagues. So either DH in both or no DH in both. Arguments on both sides, and I could live either way, but would like to see it the same in both leagues.

KT 90
AG
The Milkman said:

Quote:

He or the next base is tagged before he touches the next base, after he has been forced to advance by reason of the batter becoming a runner.

If it's a "tie" then the runner did not beat the throw. The rule is written with the defense in mind.

I had a history teacher in high school who also umpired games. One of his favorite lines was "show me where in the rule book that a tie goes to the runner".

KT 90
AG
Then there is the shift. Is it up to the hitters to learn how to hit the other way more, or do we need some rule that limits how much shifting is allowed? Just weird seeing line drive hits that should be a single getting thrown out at first because the second baseman is playing rover in right field.
Frok
AG
Computer balls & strikes. I don't care about the "romance" of human umpires. I want the call to be right.
toucan82
Should be up to the hitter. Defenders should stand wherever they want
Ag_07
AG
Buck Compton said:

Third, and this isn't just replays, but we need more public accountability for umpires. Whether it's a press conference, publishing their rough grades (just a letter grade, maybe even for each series, or have suspensions for egregious calls. Too many umps are making it about themselves. If they want to interject themselves, then they get to face the same criticisms as players.

This would be my proposal...

Publish perct correct stats for umpires both on balls and strikes and on out/safe calls just like they do with batting averages, ERAs, etc.

This way during a broadcast it can be shown that Umpire A is currently at 65% correct on the year. It can displayed when the crews are shown on TV and throughout the broadcast as controversial calls and replays come up.

If you want to take it a step further (pending the proper negotiations of course) set it up to where if an umpire falls below a certain percent then he's demoted or not eligible for playoffs or some kind of accountability.
Beat40
KT 90 said:

Then there is the shift. Is it up to the hitters to learn how to hit the other way more, or do we need some rule that limits how much shifting is allowed? Just weird seeing line drive hits that should be a single getting thrown out at first because the second baseman is playing rover in right field.

One of the more interesting things I learned from an Astros broadcast this year is that the defense was shifted, but the pitchers are still instructed to pitch to the batter normally - they aren't really pitching to induce a ball hit toward the shift.

That means the hitter certainly has the chance and ability to work on becoming a more even field hitter.

I think any rule banning shifts is dumb.
The Milkman
AG
And a big piece of the shift is trying to change the hitter's mentality to swinging in an unnatural way to send it somewhere else.
Agnzona
Reply has to stay. Look at how many calls they blew in the playoffs. The only problem is the overly stringent default to the call on the field. Just get it right. I think one of the reasons they take so long is they are trying too hard to not change the call
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
The Lost
Ag_07 said:

Buck Compton said:

Publish perct correct stats for umpires both on balls and strikes and on out/safe calls just like they do with batting averages, ERAs, etc.

This way during a broadcast it can be shown that Umpire A is currently at 65% correct on the year. It can displayed when the crews are shown on TV and throughout the broadcast as controversial calls and replays come up.

If you want to take it a step further (pending the proper negotiations of course) set it up to where if an umpire falls below a certain percent then he's demoted or not eligible for playoffs or some kind of accountability.
Would love to see the union directors face/laugh when this is proposed.
The Lost
Agnzona said:

Reply has to stay. Look at how many calls they blew in the playoffs. The only problem is the overly stringent default to the call on the field. Just get it right. I think one of the reasons they take so long is they are trying too hard to not change the call
Eh, i think this is fandom speaking, if you can't tell in slow mo, keep the call.

Really, i think they should only be able to watch it in real time speed while replaying it and if it isn't obvious then leave the call on the field and move on. This would speed it up the process as you wouldn't have to have the debate of is this enough evidence.
W
AG
still need to speed up the game.

require all pitchers to face at least 2 batters of record before they can be removed (unless the end of the inning comes first). Stop the 1 pitcher 1 hitter stuff
94chem
Ag_07 said:

Buck Compton said:

You could only do this for inside/outside pitches where there is no subjectivity. The top and the bottom of the zone will always be subjective unless there are uniform heights imposed. This would mean that Aaron Judge and Jose Altuve would have the same strike zone.
diehard03
Quote:

still need to speed up the game.

require all pitchers to face at least 2 batters of record before they can be removed (unless the end of the inning comes first). Stop the 1 pitcher 1 hitter stuff

I think 3 batters minimum, regardless of inning ending would be interesting. I mean, the NL people "love" the strategy of their league, no? Surely they WANT to consider whether the pitchers spot is likely to come up in the next inning if they bring a guy in with at least an out.

The thing I can't wrap my head around would be how you enforce it due to injury. Do you force that reliever to be unavailable the next day? Seems overly penal for a real injury...but anything less would incentive this and make the rule null.
agsalaska
AG
1. Do not touch the DH.

2. I think baseball does a much better job with replay. It is relatively quick and not generally controversial(NLCS not included)

3. I am not a huge fan of the infield shift, but I am not sure there is anything they could or even should do about it.
Ag_07
AG
agsalaska said:

2. I think baseball does a much better job with replay. It is relatively quick and not generally controversial(NLCS not included)

Huh?

I assume you're comparing to NFL? If so they do it right. NFL refs have started to learn to let things play out and then defer to replay. Plus they give an explanation why a call was changed or not. NFL replay is light years ahead of MLB.

And not controversial? As an Astro fan I respectfully disagree
agsalaska
AG
Ag_07 said:

agsalaska said:

Huh?

I assume you're comparing to NFL? If so they do it right. NFL refs have started to learn to let things play out and then defer to replay. Plus they give an explanation why a call was changed or not. NFL replay is light years ahead of MLB.

And not controversial? As an Astro fan I respectfully disagree

I meant ALCS not included. No NLCS.

I dont know man. I watched a lot of baseball the last two years and I think MLB is much further along than the NFL. It is generally a bang bang play that is too fast for the human eye but caught on camera and the reviews are fast without a TV timeout.

The NFL breaks for a commercial and takes much longer.
Corporal Punishment
AG
agsalaska said:

1. Do not touch the DH.

3. I am not a huge fan of the infield shift, but I am not sure there is anything they could or even should do about it.

Pretty much agree with this. As for the shift, I think it should be left alone. Maybe in ten years Darwin will eliminate would-be victims of the shift. Perhaps clubs will be less willing to develop players unable to use more of the field. Wouldn't that be nice.
jkag89
The Milkman said:

Quote:

Yep, also umpires will tell you their are no ties.

The one rule I would like to see is limiting the number of players you are able to use in any particular game during September call ups. Expand the 25 man roster to 27 or 28 but unlimited bench changes is not how the game is played the rest of the season so why it is allowed during crunch time. Teams can still call up as many players as they want but need to designate which 27/28 are available for that day's game.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.