Worst postseason calls in history

13,517 Views | 154 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 91AggieLawyer
TXAggie2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JJxvi said:

Also, exit means "go out from" not "go out of" you are changing the meaning through logical fallacy.
Don't jump the shark. Not only is this comment inane, it is wrong.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
JJxvi said:

You receive the ball with your left foot on the bag sometimes when the throw is coming from anywhere in front of the pitching rubber. Or at least thats what I was taught and always did. It allows you to face the throw and present a target inside the bag away from the runners lane (at expense of being able to stretch as much toward the throw). Similarly on a throw from the catcher behind home plate you right foot would be on the bag with the rest of your body to the left of the bag so the target is such that the line of the throw doesnt cross the runner's path.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

JJxvi said:

Also, exit means "go out from" not "go out of" you are changing the meaning through logical fallacy.
Don't jump the shark. Not only is this comment inane, it is wrong.
Don't mind me I'm just the "inane" guy posting links to a dictionary!
JJxvi
AG
for 94chem

Pause it at 0.08 seconds and see the first baseman

for lda6339

Pause it at 0.05 seconds and see the first baseman.

Everybody can continue watching that video as well, if you wanna see major league players setting up to take throws from the catcher. Left foot on bag in fair territory when coming from the in play side, and right foot on bag in foul territory when coming from out of play side.
94chem
JJxvi said:

You receive the ball with your left foot on the bag sometimes when the throw is coming from anywhere in front of the pitching rubber. Or at least thats what I was taught and always did. It allows you to face the throw and present a target inside the bag away from the runners lane (at expense of being able to stretch as much toward the throw). Similarly on a throw from the catcher behind home plate you right foot would be on the bag with the rest of your body to the left of the bag so the target is such that the line of the throw doesnt cross the runner's path.
Bad footwork by Gurriel. Flat-footed. No way you set up glove-side there. Ji Man Choi records that out every time.
TXAggie2011
AG
The problem with last night's play is Gurriel wears the glove on the left hand, which, of course, isn't normal at first base.

The way he set up had the throw going towards the runner and not away from the runner.

He should have had his right foot on the bag. He'd get a better stretch and he'd be guiding the throw away from the runner.
JJxvi
AG
It doesnt matter which hand, right handed and left handed first basemen set up the same way on throws from in front or behind the plate, the only difference is that for righties its an easier play from behind home plate and for lefties from in front. And either way, youre mostly just praying to catch it if the throw is coming into the runner.
TXAggie2011
AG
JJxvi said:

It doesnt matter which hand, right handed and left handed first basemen set up the same way on throws from in front or behind the plate, the only difference is that for righties its an easier play from behind home plate and for lefties from in front.
First base footwork should not be taught identically for right and left handed first baseman. That's not what your coach should have been teaching your team and even if you want to delve into the internet coaching guides, plenty of stuff out there noting right-handed first basemen may need to make some footwork changes.

Example: http://probaseballinsider.com/baseball-instruction/first-base/first-base-footwork/

Quote:

4. Stay inside.

The foot that is touching the bag (right for right hander, and left for left hander) should be on the inside part of the bag.

Example: http://www.qcbaseball.com/skills/infield-playing-first-base.aspx
Quote:

If you're a right-handed first baseman and the ball is thrown to the outfield side of first base, you may want to switch your feet, placing your left foot on bag.
Proposition Joe
Watching the video, it seems as though Gurriel was setup for a called-3rd-strike scenario where you expect the throw to come to the inside of the bag/behind-the-runner, and which foot you are using doesn't really matter (what you lose in extension you gain in being in position to block a throw in the dirt).

But with a throw coming from the side of the runner, using his left foot as his plant foot completely cut off his extension to any throw that is wide to the right (which this was). If he is planted with his right foot and extending with his left he can come off and make a sweep tag behind him.

Planted with his left foot and extending with his left he would have to step directly in front of the runner to catch a wide right throw, or pull up short with the glove so as not to get run into -- which is what he did.

It was poor footwork.
JJxvi
AG
I know the footwork is not the same depending on hand. Im right handed, I was taught to set up to take a throw from the catcher, or on a bunt where I was not charging with my left foot on the bag. Right handed major league first basemen seem to it the same way.

BTW a throw from fair territory in front of the plate is the same situation as an infield throw to the outfield side of the bag by the way for your right handed first baseman example switching feet. The only difference is that the throw should always be on that side rather than a reaction you make to the throw.
Proposition Joe
Here's an example of Gurriel setting up the correct way on a ball at a somewhat similar angle:

[url]https://www.mlb.com/astros/video/bregman-s-barehanded-play-c1445026683[/url]
TexAg1987
JJxvi said:

for 94chem

Pause it at 0.08 seconds and see the first baseman

for lda6339

Pause it at 0.05 seconds and see the first baseman.

Everybody can continue watching that video as well, if you wanna see major league players setting up to take throws from the catcher. Left foot on bag in fair territory when coming from the in play side, and right foot on bag in foul territory when coming from out of play side.
Lots of footage of the runners running inbetween the lines in the basepath too.
JJxvi
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Here's an example of Gurriel setting up the correct way on a ball at a somewhat similar angle:

https://www.mlb.com/astros/video/bregman-s-barehanded-play-c1445026683]https://www.mlb.com/astros/video/bregman-s-barehanded-play-c1445026683
Somewhat similar angle? That's a throw from third base, not from between the mound and home plate. A righthanded first baseman will set up like Gurriel did for both of those plays. Left foot on the bag facing toward home from a throw in front of the mound, and like a normal infield throw from the third baseman throwing over the mound.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Not a single call in this world series gets in the top 50 of the all time worst post season calls. You girls are just crying because Altuve and Bregman decided to suck against the Nats.
Grapesoda2525
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace said:

Not a single call in this world series gets in the top 50 of the all time worst post season calls. You girls are just crying because Altuve and Bregman decided to suck against the Nats.
Garden gnome actually had a good series against Washington.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Junkhead said:

Premium said:

drottermd said:

Junkhead said:

Wow! I remember that series. Forgot that play completely. Epic fail of a call. Not even close.

Was the whole series this bad or just one call? I can forgive one call with the moment being too big, but an intentional systematic suffocating series of calls over multiple games is inexcusable

That was in the 9th inning of game 6. Cost St. Louis the game and the Royal went on to win Game 7. I'd say that one blown call isn't very forgivable. Then again, since it ****ed over the Cardinals I was OK with it.

It did not cost St. Louis the game. Jack Clark missed an easy popup foul ball out and Darrell Porter had a bad passed ball. The runner that got on first on this play was forced out at 3rd a couple of batters later. Another batter was intentionally walked and there were 2 solid base hits given up by the same Cardinal pitcher that there's no reason to think wouldn't have happened had Denkinger's call been correct. PLUS, Frank White of the Royals was called out on the bases earlier in the game (I think it was an attempted steal; may have been on a hit) on a missed call that could have also affected the game. St. Louis batted like .186 for the series, and that had more to do with them losing than one missed call at first.

They just went ape**** after this call and totally lost it. That was their own fault. Losing 11-0 the next night was their fault as well.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.