Interesting SI story on Chris Davis

2,988 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Old School Brother
Not a Bot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Seems like this is just all in his head.

Quote:

But he forces himself to keep his head up, so pitchers can't see how demoralized he is. In doing so, he stares into a sea of fans at Camden Yards who tell him something he already knows, something that brings him to tears at his kitchen table: He sucks.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/09/24/chris-davis-baltimore-orioles
Harry Dunne
I am with Palmer on this one. He needs to quit crying & make his best effort to earn that fat paycheck by making the adjustments they are asking him to make.

94chem
An 11 year career with $95M salary. Just...go...home. Just tell the O's you'll settle for some amount and leave. He's 32. He's got $92M still on the books, but my goodness.
PatAg
AG
Harry Dunne said:

I am with Palmer on this one. He needs to quit crying & make his best effort to earn that fat paycheck by making the adjustments they are asking him to make.

Don't think you understood anything about that article
Harry Dunne
Maybe not, why don't you explain what I missed? Just because I am not automatically agreeing with the narrative the author has presented doesn't necessarily mean I missed the point, maybe I just don't agree with the point.

It sounds to me like Davis is frustrated that defensive shifts have stymied his success but it also sounds like he's not willing to evolve and try a different approach. Rather than trying new things, it sounds like he's just trying to be better at the same old thing, which is obviously not working. Just because you are a good guy that cries at song lyrics and just because you were trying hard (at the things you feel like trying hard at) doesn't mean you're doing the right thing.
W
AG
oh my, I stopped reading after "the Orioles gave him a 7-year $161 MM contract."

that's just awful. Some of the dumbest people in the world are sports general managers
94chem
... And still owe him 4 x $23M.
mhayden
I haven't dove deep into the CD #'s, but I don't think the shift has been what cratered his production -- he's striking out more and walking less (which the shift doesn't impact) and then when he does connect, he doesn't have the power he previously had.

His #'s certainly read like someone who "figured something out" for a period of time and then stopped "figuring something out".
Harry Dunne
Apparently I didn't understand anything about the article so take this for what it's worth, but it reads to me like a combination of the natural aging curve + lack of confidence with the impetus pf it all being the shift.

I have read similar articles about Pujols.
94chem
There is no shortage of players who had a great season or two and then basically vanished, or had significantly reduced production. Since we're on Baltimore, Brady Anderson comes to mind.
Waffle11
AG
94chem said:

There is no shortage of players who had a great season or two and then basically vanished, or had significantly reduced production. Since we're on Baltimore, Brady Anderson comes to mind.
I think I've read that Brady was enhanced (creatine) during 96. Davis is just a bad combination of old man skills, evolving defenses, and whiffing at prodigious levels.

How much does it take, if you're Chris Davis, to accept some kind of buyout?
Harry Dunne
The most true thing in that article is the guy that yells At him, "keep your head up, you've got the greatest job in the world!"

I'm sure it sucks to fail publicly like that, but for a while he was at the very top of the game, he's set financially for life and gets to retire physically healthy in his mid-30s with no CTE or broken down body and do whatever he wants with the rest of his life.
94chem
Quote:

Given the magnitude of Baltimore's rebuild, there's no amount of production that will justify that salary. IOW, even if he hit 1.000 OPS with 50 bombs, Baltimore will still struggle to hit 70 wins, so they've got incentive.

As for Davis, if he's got some pride, he won't push too far. After all, he's only 32 - it's not a terrible deal to get paid not to play. idk - one year up front, plus $2M/year for the next 10 years - minus any baseball-related earnings? Basically half of the remaining deal, and you don't have to stand in front of booing fans on a 100 loss team for 4 years? Seems like a good deal to me, but what do I know...

He comes across as a Josh Hamilton figure - somebody you really want to root for, but with an over-the-top emphasis on introspection that brings some meatheaded behaviors along for the ride.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Better to suck & keep getting paychecks than to be great by juicing again and risk getting suspended without pay.
TXAggie2011
AG
Davis can start (or get back on if that's what you believe) whatever drugs and supplements he wants to, but he's completely mentally lost at the plate.

His swings aren't consistent. He doesn't know what pitches are coming. He watches hittable pitches go by; then many of his swings aren't in the same county as the pitch location. He can look like Mark McGwire in the Got Milk advertisement but he's still going to have a lot of things to address.

A lot of this has been boiling since after the end of the 2015 season
Old Tom Morris
Waffle11 said:

94chem said:

I think I've read that Brady was enhanced (creatine) during 96. Davis is just a bad combination of old man skills, evolving defenses, and whiffing at prodigious levels.

LOL. Brady Anderson was doing a lot more than creatine.
Old Tom Morris
And Davis is just a head case. I think the hometown pressure held him back in Texas. Now I think the contract is in his head in Baltimore. I do think age is contributing to it, but what is going on upstairs is primarily responsbile.
McCoveysCove
he must be on roids to be crying about his current state of being awful. Suck it up dude it will be over soon.try hitting off a tee for 4 hours a day you will get better
Sandman98
AG
donyvon said:

he must be on roids to be crying about his current state of being awful. Suck it up dude it will be over soon.try hitting off a tee for 4 hours a day you will get better

Hitting a stationary target is probably to blame for his lack of improvement. He needs to turn his training upside down and spend his entire off-season swinging at things he can barely see.
Old School Brother
Article doesn't mention it, but I wonder if he's ever worked with a sports psychologist.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.